Register now to remove this ad

Page 102 of 433 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 6495

Thread: A Realistic View at 2024: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Man, we need Brez to land a big fish asap. This forum is nowhere without moon optimism.
    I'm not optimistic we add 3 solid SP'er. I'm not sure we add 2.

My guess is we add 1 plus some #4-5 slot type, someone we already have 5 like him.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

I'm starting to think signing Garver might be a good idea for a RHB, but with Teel in the system, I'm not sure. I guess we could trade Garver, later, if Teel is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm starting to think signing Garver might be a good idea for a RHB, but with Teel in the system, I'm not sure. I guess we could trade Garver, later, if Teel is ready.
    Or trade Wong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Or trade Wong?
    Sure, when Teel is ready. We could have Garver or Teel DH when not catching.

I guess it depends on how many years we give Garver and when Teel is ML ready.

Garver is will be 33, next year. He has never had more than 360 PAs in a ML season. That is worrisome, even for a catcher. His numbers are rather astounding, though:

He's averaged 34 HRs per 650 PAs since 2021. Couple that with a .346 OBP (.370 in '23) and I'm liking him, more and more.

He has a career .825 OPS (123 OPS+) and his OPS+, last year, was 134.
    .795 v R
    .885 v L

His (RH'd) bat looks better than Duvall's.

Direct quote from MLB.com headline: Yanks poised to blow

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rumors-...d-transactions

Deity
    If the Sox want to act like the Sox again, not filling the MLB roster because of some kid in AA is a bad place to start…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    If the Sox want to act like the Sox again, not filling the MLB roster because of some kid in AA is a bad place to start…
    It probably won't be a factor, unless they think Teel might be ML ready to start 2025, but even then, maybe not.

I've always liked the idea of striking first this offseason, and swooping right in on targets for next year and beyond.

Yes, that will mean overpaying for free agents anticipating bidding wars or trading top prospects for available big leaguers. You get what you pay for -- at least on screen (but not always, as Sox fans have seen, on the mound).

A NESN.com article today calls it "talent acquisition" -- which, taken literally, doesn't just mean plug in a body to fill a hole. We've already got plenty of guys who are just ok -- "if everything breaks right", and they can "stay healthy" to maximize their one or two legit skills... Go get somebody good.

Sign Montgomery, trade for George Kirby. BTV accepts Mayer and Duran...

I've always liked the idea of striking first this offseason, and swooping right in on targets for next year and beyond.

Yes, that will mean overpaying for free agents anticipating bidding wars or trading top prospects for available big leaguers. You get what you pay for -- at least on screen (but not always, as Sox fans have seen, on the mound).

A NESN.com article today calls it "talent acquisition" -- which, taken literally, doesn't just mean plug in a body to fill a hole. We've already got plenty of guys who are just ok -- "if everything breaks right", and they can "stay healthy" to maximize their one or two legit skills... Go get somebody good.

I'd do that, easily. Kirby has 5 years of control.

I doubt SEA does it, even if we add Yorke.

Forget about what FAs and trade targets are available, which position do you think is a higher need?

2B (back up SS/3B):
    Urias, Reyes, DHam (AAA)

CF/RF:
    Dugo, Rafaela, Abreu (Rosier AAA) + Duran or Refsnyder, when not playing LF.

I see reasons for picking either one.

Forget about what FAs and trade targets are available, which position do you think is a higher need?

2B (back up SS/3B):
    Urias, Reyes, DHam (AAA)

CF/RF:
    Dugo, Rafaela, Abreu (Rosier AAA) + Duran or Refsnyder, when not playing LF.

I see reasons for picking either one.

A power-hitting right-handed bat that doesn't automatically K when it doesn't HR.

A guy like that is more likely to be found for a corner outfield position, rather than second base. He'll be costly, and subsequently require a commitment for a minimum-wage CF like Rafalea or Duran (whichever one isn't traded). Once secured, it will be a lot easier to find a good glove man for second base -- until Mayer makes it and Story moves over.

A longshot deal for Trout wouldn't change this plan, as he'd probably become a LF at Fenway to maximize his 30s...

A power-hitting right-handed bat that doesn't automatically K when it doesn't HR.

A guy like that is more likely to be found for a corner outfield position, rather than second base. He'll be costly, and subsequently require a commitment for a minimum-wage CF like Rafalea or Duran (whichever one isn't traded). Once secured, it will be a lot easier to find a good glove man for second base -- until Mayer makes it and Story moves over.

A longshot deal for Trout wouldn't change this plan, as he'd probably become a LF at Fenway to maximize his 30s...
    It does seem easier to find a good RHB for RF than 2B. I tried to avoid that part of the equation by wording my question the way I did, but that is a reality.

Garver could be an option for that RHB, which would mean we could focus on pitching only, and roll the dice at 2B and OF with what we have (or swap Duvall for Dugo and double up on improving our RHBs.)

Deity

Trout is a part time player.

Ironically, the two positions that have had high ISO and K% under 20% in MLB are corner OF and 2b.

However, I’m not sure Betts, Acuna, Altuve, and Semien are available. Maybe Arenado or Machado?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    And you need 2 Catchers anyway? I don't see any reason not to pair Garver and Teel unless you see more value in pairing Teel and Wong. However, Wong's skills behind the plate are mainly based on his arm and Teel already has that part down. What's he going to learn from Wong there?
    I get MV Pee.

Would SEA want to do that deal? They already have a pretty good SS.
    I get MV Pee.