Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 08/12 Tigers at Fenway to Face the Red Hots

08/12 Tigers at Fenway to Face the Red Hots

Back to the regular rotation with Brayan Bello ready to advance the Red Hots to another win . The return of a highly effective Chris Sale and TC's slugging give hope to all but the hardest of Sox fans' hearts.

Bello brings his stuff up against Matt Manning, RH'er with 10 starts, who has a mixed bag with a 5.+ ERA, but 1.18 WHIP against a low K total of 39 in 53.1 innings. So expect to see some balls in play. Duran and Turner back for this one?

Sox now have nailed 4 of last 5 and closed within 3 of the losing BJ's for the third WC , Yankees still one back. Late kudos to Chris Murphy for racking up 3 no-hit ( 2 BB's) shutout innings to cement Barraclough's first MLB win , lol.

With Sale looking good, Story now making contact, Reyes being a surprise , combined with Casas' thunder bat the immediate future vs lesser teams looks good. Even Cora is looking smarter and that guy Bloom, off the charts .

Win another one boys and keep the line moving. Now is not the time to dissect the hitting which with few exceptions is not up to par yet.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Back to the regular rotation with Brayan Bello ready to advance the Red Hots to another win . The return of a highly effective Chris Sale and TC's slugging give hope to all but the hardest of Sox fans' hearts.

Bello brings his stuff up against Matt Manning, RH'er with 10 starts, who has a mixed bag with a 5.+ ERA, but 1.18 WHIP against a low K total of 39 in 53.1 innings. So expect to see some balls in play. Duran and Turner back for this one?

Sox now have nailed 4 of last 5 and closed within 3 of the losing BJ's for the third WC , Yankees still one back. Late kudos to Chris Murphy for racking up 3 no-hit ( 2 BB's) shutout innings to cement Barraclough's first MLB win , lol.

With Sale looking good, Story now making contact, Reyes being a surprise , combined with Casas' thunder bat the immediate future vs lesser teams looks good. Even Cora is looking smarter and that guy Bloom, off the charts .

Win another one boys and keep the line moving. Now is not the time to dissect the hitting which with few exceptions is not up to par yet.
    Love the 3 game win streak and ecstatic about both Sale and Murphy last night. In fact, with Whitlock returning tomorrow and Houck 2 days later, the Sox pitching could be at it's best since early 2019. Simply dumping Garza and Llovera should be cause for jubilant celebrations all over New England.

But the hitting ain't there, not by a long shot. Duran's August OPS is .634, Refsnyder is 0 for 6, Duvall OPS .638, Wong .579, Story .517, Devers .731, Turner injured + OPS .400, Yoshida .660, etc.

I've heard rumors all those guys met with Cora and asked him to stop playing Reyes and Casas because both of them are red hot and making everyone else look bad.

Over the last 13 games the Sox have scored an average of 3.38 runs per game. In the Sox 61 wins this season, only 13 of them occurred when the lineup scored fewer than 5 runs.

Deity
    Good to see JT back in the lineup today. Dugy also leading off where he’s done his best hitting this year.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Good to see JT back in the lineup today. Dugy also leading off where he’s done his best hitting this year.
    I think it's possible the recent downturn in scoring is tied to the absence of Turner. Verdugo has been in a slump, but just might be coming out of it. Gotta like his defense, however.

Duvall and Story are both out today, which, sad to say, if fine with me.

Deity
    Verdugo RF
    Yoshida LF
    Turner DH
    Devers 3B
    Casas 1B
    Reyes SS
    Duran CF
    McGuire C
    Urias 2B

Very interesting lineup with Duvall and Story both out. Also Wong--very possibly because McGuire has looked pretty good since he returned.

If nothing else, this suggests this club has some depth because the actual lineup looks pretty decent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Verdugo RF
    Yoshida LF
    Turner DH
    Devers 3B
    Casas 1B
    Reyes SS
    Duran CF
    McGuire C
    Urias 2B

Very interesting lineup with Duvall and Story both out. Also Wong--very possibly because McGuire has looked pretty good since he returned.

If nothing else, this suggests this club has some depth because the actual lineup looks pretty decent to me.
    Could be McGuire vs the RH Manning. Wong may also be recovering for catching most of June/July.

Bello gets the memo and complies

Where in the world of baseball are the hitters ? Showing nothing through 3 full, while Bello is struggling, but helped by 2 DPs

Deity
    Dugo gets an absolutely fat pitch--a mistake, if you will--and pops it up to SS. After three innings, the Sox are still hitless.

Anyone who believes this team is not in a hitting slump is not paying attention. Before today, they averaged 3.38 runs per game for the last 13 games.

Uh oh, looks like the Sox ran into a hot pitcher. They can't do anything with this guy.

(Just trying some reverse negativity.)
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Dugo gets an absolutely fat pitch--a mistake, if you will--and pops it up to SS. After three innings, the Sox are still hitless.

Anyone who believes this team is not in a hitting slump is not paying attention. Before today, they averaged 3.38 runs per game for the last 13 games.
    Of course they are. It would be absurd to argue otherwise.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

The hitting slump concerns me... I'm more bothered by these stupid uniforms. It's dumb of me... but it's true.
    ----------------------------
    Dear Mr. Henry,
    I appreciate the championships- but I'm watching today's game to see a competitive team. I don't keep going back to restaurants who serve terrible food because two years ago I had a great meal there.

J.T. is a baseball player!!!!!!!!!
    ----------------------------
    Dear Mr. Henry,
    I appreciate the championships- but I'm watching today's game to see a competitive team. I don't keep going back to restaurants who serve terrible food because two years ago I had a great meal there.

Deity
    Anyone here remember Kike Hernandez? In the 14 games since he went to the Dodgers his OPS is .823--way above what he hit for the Sox this year (.599). It's also above the OPS's of the these Sox players in August: Duran, Dugo, Wong, Duvall, Story, Yoshida, Devers, and Turner (who missed most games with an injury).

If the Sox have a hitting coach, he sure ain't helping.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by wyo-sox View Post
    The hitting slump concerns me... I'm more bothered by these stupid uniforms. It's dumb of me... but it's true.
    Those uniforms have done a lot more for the Sox this year than their idiot of a hitting coach.