Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nick Pivetta just set a Red Sox record with 13 strikeouts in relief

Nick Pivetta just set a Red Sox record with 13 strikeouts in relief

Breaking a long standing record is worth breaking out into a thread for its own recognition. He just out the entire bullpen on his back and made a bullpen game into a nonproblem.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

I think his 8th straight Ks was a Sox record in relief, as well.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

The fact he allowed 0 hits is also pretty amazing too. I know it was Oakland but it’s not like this happens to them every night.

I think we just rediscovered our 4th starter.

If Sale ever comes back, we can move 2 from Whitlock, Houck or Crawford back to the pen.

Some posters is predicting Kluber rejoins the rotation and thrives. If that happens, we may have the best and or deepest Sox pen, ever!

Jansen
    Martin
    Schreiber
    Houck (or Pivetta)
    Whitlcok
    Winckowski
    Crawford
    Bernardino

I think you kinda have to let Kutter pitch his way out of the rotation. Good problem to have. Especially if we don't have to lean on Pivetta to be a stealth starter and can hold him in reserve if a starter has a rough outing.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Bernardino should be DFA'd for ruining the no-no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    I think you kinda have to let Kutter pitch his way out of the rotation. Good problem to have. Especially if we don't have to lean on Pivetta to be a stealth starter and can hold him in reserve if a starter has a rough outing.
    They kinda don't have a choice since they don't have anyone else to start.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    They kinda don't have a choice since they don't have anyone else to start.
    Read the post before his. I think he was responding to it.

Deity
    Pivetta might be pitching himself back into the rotation…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    The fact he allowed 0 hits is also pretty amazing too. I know it was Oakland but it’s not like this happens to them every night.
    But twice in 3 weeks is a bit frequent…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    He basically is in the rotation, they are just using an opener.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I'd say don't fix what ain't broke. Let bernardino play opener and keep Pivetta in this unique little role he's carved out for himself. Between them they just ate almost an entire bullpen game and we're going into tonight's game with a bunch of rested arms, which isn't where I think we all thought we'd be

SOX are taking a serious look at Michael Lorenzen of the Tigers. He's started 16 games and his ERA is 3.75 with a WHIP of 1.13. His remaining contract amount is a little over 4 mil, which would still keep the SOX under the luxury tax. Stay tuned.
    Btw, Lorenzen also has 6 years of experience as a reliever. His lifetime BP ERA is 3.63. Seems like those tires should be kicked.
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 07-18-2023 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    SOX are taking a serious look at Michael Lorenzen of the Tigers. He's started 16 games and his ERA is 3.75 with a WHIP of 1.13. His remaining contract amount is a little over 4 mil, which would still keep the SOX under the luxury tax. Stay tuned.
    Btw, Lorenzen also has 6 years of experience as a reliever. His lifetime BP ERA is 3.63. Seems like those tires should be kicked.
    Wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Wrong thread
    Not really. Just responding to the post about moving Pivetta back to starting.