Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 103 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Deadline 2023

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    If the Sox could only move one position player and one pitcher in return for a AAA level , August/September ready prospect, who would those 2 be?

My position player is Kike who will not be re-upped for 2024. Not all his own fault , shouldn't have had to be at SS , but he has no future in Boston's plans.

Lots of options for a pitcher selection but to me I would shop Chris Sale and pay 50% of his remaining money to an edge team who might take a real chance , preferably in the NL. ( Phillies, Brewers, Giants ?)
    Sale's remaining AAV is about 34 million, so the acquiring team would be on the hook for 17 mill.

If he gets back on the mound before the deadline it might be a possibility, but that in itself seems like a long shot.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Sale's remaining AAV is about 34 million, so the acquiring team would be on the hook for 17 mill.

If he gets back on the mound before the deadline it might be a possibility, but that in itself seems like a long shot.
    We can pay all of his 2023 contract and maybe pay down some of 2024 to improve the return.

I doubt Sale comes back before the deadline, so it would be a big gamble for a team to get him on August 1st.

Might we think trading Crawford while his stock is high be something they consider?

Sell, sell sell !!!

Duvall, hernandez, Paxton, Jensen, and martin please report to the coaches office and bring your playbooks with you!!!!!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Sell, sell sell !!!

Duvall, hernandez, Paxton, Jensen, and martin please report to the coaches office and bring your playbooks with you!!!!!

For that crowd (except Paxton), getting back the playbooks would be all the Sox get in those deals..

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I doubt Sale comes back before the deadline, so it would be a big gamble for a team to get him on August 1st.
    Is it bad when I read this that I could only think of one man in charge of any MLB franchise that would even think that would be a good idea?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Here is where we are....this is injury riddled team.

I don't want to think about it because it really pisses me off.

Story is at the top of my shit list. After underwhelming performance last year, he follows up with this....0 production in 2023.

He forced me to watch Kike play out of position.
    That really pissed me off.

Sale....what can you say about him? His extension is beginning to look really bad. Yeah he says all the right things. Bottom line is he is fucking dead to his teammates. Just shut the f up and get back on the mound and earn some of your paycheck.

Houck out. Whitlock maybe out. Bloom's worst signing to date, Kluber.

What the hell happened to Schreiber?
    Chang is out. Mondessi is in club med enjoying his time off.

Moon, we are not going to go anywhere with all the injuries.

Sell and get healthy for 2024.
    Agree with the projection of injuries. The rotation is a shambles and unlikely to recover--and the bullpen isn't strong enough to make up the difference. Nor is the hitting.

Not sure what "sell" entails, so will hold off on commenting.

Many felt we should have had a fire sale in 2022. Many felt we should have been heavier buyers. Not many expected what we ended up doing.

There are about 4 weeks left to go, and so many teams are still in the WC race.

Do we sell?

Do we buy?

Do we do a little of both?

Do we do next to nothing?

If we do decide to sell, we have the luxury of offering to pay all or almost all remaining salaries. This should increase the amount of teams making offers, and improve the return value we get.

I'd say all free agents to be would be on the table and maybe some players who will be FAs after 2024 or redundant positional players with longer control.

FAs after 2023:
    Kike
    Duvall
    Paxton
    Kluber
    Mondesi

After 2024
    Sale
    Jansen
    Martin
    Turner
    Pivetta

Others?
    Dalbec

Arroyo

The one Im most reluctant to trade, and also the one that drives me bat $hit crazy the most..Pivetta. Try to extend Paxton for 2 yrs. Let Turners contract run its course..he is doing exactly what you got him for. If he's redundant next year, then you can swap him when this team will HOPEFULLY be a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Agree with the projection of injuries. The rotation is a shambles and unlikely to recover--and the bullpen isn't strong enough to make up the difference. Nor is the hitting.

Not sure what "sell" entails, so will hold off on commenting.
    Unlikely? Maybe, but...

Houck should be back after the break. Whitlock's elbow issues is reportedly just a bone bruise, so he should be back around the same time. I'd never count on Sale to come back, but I said the same about Paxton, so who knows?

We have about 4 weeks to get a better feel for how the rotation is shaping up. I'd say, if we are close and the rotation is looking healthier, I'd lean towards buying, but not by trading away top prospects for just a rental.

If they look injured or slow to recover, I'd sell anyone not part of our longer term plans, including 1.5 year players that are post-prime (not Dugo & Pivetta. Assume Sale is untradeable.)

We could spend big, this coming winter and have a better roster and deeper farm by selling. Assume we sell all 0.5 and 1.5 controlled players, here is the base to work with and add to:
    (I'll assume Story at SS, but we could add a SS and keep Story at 2B.)

C Wong/McGuire (Hamilton/Hickey)
    1B Casas/Dalbec (Kavadas/Jordan)
    2B _____/ Arroyo/DHamilton/EValdez (Yorke)
    SS Story/Chang/Reyes (Mayer)
    3B Devers
    LF _____/Refsnyder/Yoshida
    CF Duran (Rafaela)
    RF Dugo (Abreu)
    DH Yoshida/Refsnyder/Dalbec (EValdez/Kavadas/Meidroth)

SP1 ______
    SP2 Bello
    SP3 ______
    SP4 ______
    SP5 Sale/Whitlock/Houck/Pivetta/Crawford (Drohan, Mata, Walter, Murphy)

RP1 Houck
    RP2 Whitlock
    RP3 ______
    RP4 Schreiber
    RP5 Winckowski
    RP6 Crawford
    RP7 Pivetta.Bleier/Joely/Mills (Kelly/Guerrero/Denlinger/Fernandez)

Instead of signing 8-11 FAs every year, let's go with 6.

SP1, SP3, SP4, 2B/SS, LF, RP

If we go over the line, we don't have to settle on $7-10M starters and $7M OF'ers.

Last edited by moonslav59; 07-04-2023 at 09:58 PM.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Unlikely? Maybe, but...

Houck should be back after the break. Whitlock's elbow issues is reportedly just a bone bruise, so he should be back around the same time. I'd never count on Sale to come back, but I said the same about Paxton, so who knows?

We have about 4 weeks to get a better feel for how the rotation is shaping up. I'd say, if we are close and the rotation is looking healthier, I'd lean towards buying, but not by trading away top prospects for just a rental.

If they look injured or slow to recover, I'd sell anyone not part of our longer term plans, including 1.5 year players that are post-prime (not Dugo & Pivetta. Assume Sale is untradeable.)

We could spend big, this coming winter and have a better roster and deeper farm by selling. Assume we sell all 0.5 and 1.5 controlled players, here is the base to work with and add to:
    (I'll assume Story at SS, but we could add a SS and keep Story at 2B.)

C Wong/McGuire (Hamilton/Hickey)
    1B Casas/Dalbec (Kavadas/Jordan)
    2B _____/ Arroyo/DHamilton/EValdez (Yorke)
    SS Story/Chang/Reyes (Mayer)
    3B Devers
    LF _____/Refsnyder/Yoshida
    CF Duran (Rafaela)
    RF Dugo (Abreu)
    DH Yoshida/Refsnyder/Dalbec (EValdez/Kavadas/Meidroth)

SP1 ______
    SP2 Bello
    SP3 ______
    SP4 ______
    SP5 Sale/Whitlock/Houck/Pivetta/Crawford (Drohan, Mata, Walter, Murphy)

RP1 Houck
    RP2 Whitlock
    RP3 ______
    RP4 Schreiber
    RP5 Winckowski
    RP6 Crawford
    RP7 Pivetta.Bleier/Joely/Mills (Kelly/Guerrero/Denlinger/Fernandez)

Instead of signing 8-11 FAs every year, let's go with 6.

SP1, SP3, SP4, 2B/SS, LF, RP

If we go over the line, we don't have to settle on $7-10M starters and $7M OF'ers.

who do you think Bloom should be looking at to fill those obvious holes?

Quote Originally Posted by ****THEYANKEES View Post
    who do you think Bloom should be looking at to fill those obvious holes?
    Honestly, I don't know. He could trade for 1-2, if they don't mind giving up some good prospects.

I could see him going after Snell and maybe keep Paxton. (Urias or Montgomery?)
    Closer: Josh Hader?
    SS; DeJung or Ahmed Rosario
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

If Bloom is as smart as a Yale grad, he'd be on the phone today with both the Diamondbacks and his favorite go-to, the Dodgers. They're 1-2 in the NL West, only two losses apart, and each team is hurting for starting pitching right now -- with key guys on the IL and team ERAs higher than the NL average.

Wonder what a bidding war for Paxton, the AL Pitcher of the Month, would look like between two rivals, each trying to recruit him and keep him from going to the other club?

This may be of particular interest to the Red Sox: 6 of the top 10 prospects for both Arizona and LA are pitchers...

We need middle IF, and Story may DH for a while before playing SS or 2B.

I think Duvall would go before Kike.

The pitcher would be Paxton or Sale, depending on being in or out at the deadline.
    Agree on Duvall. Kike isn’t going anywhere this year. For one thing, he’s not going to get you anything. But beyond that, for all his issues on the field, from everything I’ve heard, he’s well liked in the clubhouse by the players. He played a big part in getting three of the better performers to sign here in Turner, Martin and Jansen. His playing time is already being reduced, and I don’t see that changing going forward barring a rash of more injuries. It’s not like he’s blocking anyone at this point.

He won’t be resigned, but he will be here for 80 or do more games.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Agree on Different ball . Kike isn’t going anywhere this year. For one thing, he’s not going to get you anything. But beyond that, for all his issues on the field, from everything I’ve heard, he’s well liked in the clubhouse by the players. He played a big part in getting three of the better performers to sign here in Turner, Martin and Jansen. His playing time is already being reduced, and I don’t see that changing going forward barring a rash of more injuries. It’s not like he’s blocking anyone at this point.

He won’t be resigned, but he will be here for 80 or do more games.
    Kike would be fine if he was used right. Recently he's shown he can be a plus defender at other positions, he just can't throw worth a lick at SS. The Sox already sits below the luxury tax, so they could probably easily unload a guy like Kike if they ate his salary. Maybe they should sit Duran against a few lefties and let Kike roam CF again and see if he can still play plus plus D there. If he can, you will definitely get something for him, especially if you eat the salary.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    If Bloom is as smart as a Yale grad, he'd be on the phone today with both the Diamondbacks and his favorite go-to, the Dodgers. They're 1-2 in the NL West, only two losses apart, and each team is hurting for starting pitching right now -- with key guys on the IL and team ERAs higher than the NL average.

Wonder what a bidding war for Paxton, the AL Pitcher of the Month, would look like between two rivals, each trying to recruit him and keep him from going to the other club?

This may be of particular interest to the Red Sox: 6 of the top 10 prospects for both Arizona and LA are pitchers...
    If both teams top prospect lists are loaded with pitching, they’re both very likely to try internal solutions first. Because unlike trades, if they don’t work out in time, those moves can be undone.

Paxton might be Pitcher of the Month, but you have to also figure both teams to be interested in a few other obvious fire sale candidates - namely Giolito, Snell, Flaherty, Montgomery, Cobb, Lynn and Wacha…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    If both teams top prospect lists are loaded with pitching, they’re both very likely to try internal solutions first. Because unlike trades, if they don’t work out in time, those moves can be undone.

Paxton might be Pitcher of the Month, but you have to also figure both teams to be interested in a few other obvious fire sale candidates - namely Giolito, Snell, Flaherty, Montgomery, Cobb, Lynn and Wacha…
    A lot of those names are guys the Red Sox should be in on -- for now and the future. The Cardinals are most intriguing, but not in trades; St. Lou has to be looking for younger, controllable pitching in return, and that's not something even the clever Boston ops can afford to dangle. For teams going nowhere this summer, it'd be better to wait until winter and just sign Montgomery.

As for Snell and Wacha, can't see the Pads giving up, and at the same time upgrading their rivals in the West. SD's weakness, for some reason, is making contact, with the second-lowest batting average in the NL. Maybe they should offer Soto to Boston for Yoshida, a .300 hitter locked up for basically half-price of what a guy who turned down $400 million will be making for the next decade.

Then again... maybe Bloom should refuse any Soto-for-Yoshida deal, and look like a financial genius -- long after he's gone from Beantown (at least he'll have a positive legacy)?