Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 MLB Draft

@redsoxstats
    Baseball America has updated their Top 100 post-draft.

Roman Anthony is now #35.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Legend
    Law on the Sox draft (he did note it as one of his half dozen favorite drafts): https://theathletic.com/4681470/2023...league-report/

The Red Sox landed my sixth-ranked prospect at pick 14 with catcher Kyle Teel (1), far and away the best college catcher in the draft class. Teel’s a very athletic hitter who could probably play a number of different positions, but he’s a solid-average or better defender at catcher now and should have no trouble staying there. He’s got great bat speed and makes excellent contact against right-handers, with softer contact quality versus lefties, where he doesn’t whiff much but also hits them for no power. I think he’s an above-average regular and could be one for a very long time because he’s such a good athlete.

Shortstop Nazzan Zanetello (2) is a superb athlete, a very fast-twitch, projectable kid who has explosive actions on both sides of the ball. He has excellent bat speed, although he had some trouble with fastballs in the zone last summer, more a matter of timing than an inability to catch up to them. He stays at shortstop and I think there’s huge upside with the bat. He was also the best-dressed of the kids who attended the draft in person, in my expert opinion. Shortstop Antonio Anderson (3) is a switch-hitter with a loose left-handed swing where he loads way too deeply, and he’s a 45 runner who probably moves to second or third. He’s not very advanced as a hitter, and had real trouble with offspeed stuff last summer. I thought he might end up at Georgia Tech because he didn’t seem to be a top-three rounds talent.

Matt Duffy (4), who as far as I know isn’t related to that Matt Duffy or the other Matt Duffy, is a Canadian right-hander from Canisius College in upstate New York. He’s a feel-to-pitch guy, with an 88-92 mph fastball that has some ride, a hard downer curveball in the mid-70s, and a fringe-average changeup. He pronates his arm really late, which I don’t love. He does command the fastball and I could see him being very interesting if the Red Sox can boost his velocity. Shortstop Kristian Campbell (4A) is a redshirt freshman from Georgia Tech who played just one year but was draft-eligible because he’s 21. He was very tough to strike out, whiffing just under 8 percent of the time this year, but hits the ball on the ground way too often and has a short swing that isn’t conducive to harder contact. He’s 6-3, 210 pounds, so he shouldn’t be this kind of hitter, and he’s obviously inexperienced for his age, making him an interesting upside play from the college ranks. He’s not a shortstop, lacking the arm, and his transfer on throws is so slow he might need to take his plus speed to center.

Wright State infielder Justin Riemer (4A) missed almost the whole year after injuring his knee, but when healthy he’s an extremely good contact hitter who doesn’t miss fastballs at all, even better ones the rare times he’s seen them, and showed a little pop this spring before the injury. Lefty Connelly Early (5) is like Duffy, a fringy fastball guy who has life on the pitch and great feel, also showing two good secondaries in a 55 slider and average changeup. He’s a finesse guy but misses bats with what he has because he’s tough to pick up, and this year he cut his walk rate by nearly half. I like him in this spot.

Ian Cundall of SoxProspects belives the Sox will have about $600K left over to try to sign Phoenix Call. Right now he's a speedy, defensive first guy with hit tool questions. We'll see if they can get him onboard.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Ian Cundall of SoxProspects belives the Sox will have about $600K left over to try to sign Phoenix Call. Right now he's a speedy, defensive first guy with hit tool questions. We'll see if they can get him onboard.
    With a name like that, he can might get us to forget Jeter Downs.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

@SPChrisHatfield
    I expect we'll get some official draftee signing news today, or at worst tomorrow. Four have been reported, plus 4th-rounder Matt Duffy and 11th-rounder Nelly Taylor are at the Complex.
    I get MV Pee.

All 1st rounders have been signed for at slot or under except the 5 important guys: Teel, Zanatello, Anderson, Reimer, Campbell. Zanatello and Anderson are in Boston and went through physicals. They are expected to sign. Sox reportedly have a below slot deal in place for Teel. No word on Reimer or Campbell.

13th rounder Cade Feeney also signed.
    I get MV Pee.

All 1st rounders have been signed for at slot or under except the 5 important guys: Teel, Zanatello, Anderson, Reimer, Campbell. Zanatello and Anderson are in Boston and went through physicals. They are expected to sign. Sox reportedly have a below slot deal in place for Teel. No word on Reimer or Campbell.

13th rounder Cade Feeney also signed.
    Your first sentence needs editing.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Your first sentence needs editing.
    No.
    I get MV Pee.

No.
    We had 5 first rounders?

Another perfect post.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We had 5 first rounders?

Another perfect post.
    Blocked.
    I get MV Pee.

Blocked.
    Another 5 minute block?

I'm terrified!

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    What in the blue hell is wrong with you two?
    WAR is good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    What in the blue hell is wrong with you two?
    Nothing's wrong with me. I'm good.
    I get MV Pee.

Zanatello stated he's flying back to Boston tomorrow and signing on Saturday for a press conference. Teel and other top picks will probably be there as well.

Zanatello's contract may come in higher than expected. Unlikely to sign Call?
    I get MV Pee.

Zanatello stated he's flying back to Boston tomorrow and signing on Saturday for a press conference. Teel and other first rounders will probably be there as well.

Zanatello's contract may come in higher than expected. Unlikely to sign Call?
    Fixed that for you.