Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 MLB Draft

Legend
    The Athletic's Mock 3.0

14. Boston Red Sox — Brayden Taylor, 3B, TCU
    DOB: 5-22-2002 | Height: 6-1 | Weight: 180

The Red Sox might be the floor for Shaw, and they’ve been linked to Taylor, Troy, Bradfield, and Kevin McGonigle as well. I haven’t heard any pitchers here.

Scouting Report: Taylor has a very pretty left-handed swing with good loft in the finish to drive the ball in the air, with some of the best batted-ball data in the college class, from launch angle to hard-hit rates and more. He had a low BABIP this year of just .307, inconsistent with how hard he hits the ball and how often he does so. He also slumped in the middle of the season, but had a huge Big 12 tournament, going 8 for 16 with four doubles and three homers, with a .305/.430/.650 line heading into the regionals, and a career-best 21 homers. He’s just an average runner but savvy on the bases, with a perfect 23 for 23 record on the bases his last two years at TCU. He’s a solid-average defender at third with a 55 or 60 arm, although he’s athletic and rangy enough to become a plus defender with the right coaching. Taylor projects as a solid-average regular, with a couple of ways he could turn into something more.
    ESPN's Mock 3.0

14. Boston Red Sox
    Matt Shaw, 2B, Maryland

I'll keep Shaw here as the Red Sox are mostly tied to safer position-player types at this pick with bolder choices coming down the board. One of the wildest rumors I've heard all spring is that Arizona State 2B Luke Keaschall could be a Nick Yorke-esque pick here. I buy that Boston likes him, is worried he won't get to their next pick, and is thinking about it, but it's just a little too farfetched to project right now. I've given Keaschall to them in the second round.

Kiley McDaniels has Matt Shaw going to Boston as well. Here's another that's not the same.

Keith Law:

Boston Red Sox – Colt Emerson, SS, John Glenn High (New Concord, Ohio)
    Yes, another infielder for the Red Sox, although I don’t think you can have too many good infield prospects, ever. Emerson’s one of the younger players in the draft class and there are at least some scouts who think he’s one of the better pure hitters. I’m only hearing them with hitters, including college guys Shaw, Brock Wilken and Chase Davis; and high schoolers with Bryce Eldridge – who supposedly wants to go to a team that will also let him pitch – Houck and Mitchell as other possibilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

All the mock drafts have a Plethora of position player infield players. That also happens to be the Sox M.O. so Maybe they cut a deal with whoever will take the least, or maybe they go after someone who falls.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

The Sox have 3 picks in the top 83:

But, we do have 6 in the top 133:
    115. 4th rounder
    132. Comp for Bogey
    133. Comp for Nate

The draft starts Sunday evening.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    I like Taylor because he has a beautiful swing and is pretty athletic, with good power for his smallish frame which has some potential for more filling out. There's no way, however, that he makes it to the Sox, who are more likely than not going after another projectable middle-line (2b/SS/CF) type guy. Also not big on Emerson from what I-ve read.
    WAR is good for something.

I would like to see us draft houck in the first round, followed Owen Hunter of Vanderbilt

Legend
    Kyle Teel, C, Virginia

Law's scouting report https://theathletic.com/live-blogs/m.../GepZBt2vwRFx/ ... Law's #6

Teel might have been a first-rounder had the 2020 spring season taken place, as he was already on everyone’s radar coming out of the previous summer and fall as a very athletic catcher who looked like he’d hit and would definitely stay at the position. He went undrafted in the five-round affair that June, then hit .335/.416/.526 as a freshman at Virginia, catching 20 games and establishing himself as a likely first-rounder for 2023 even that far ahead. After a slight dip in his sophomore production, he hit .414/.480/.668 through the regular season for the Cavaliers, with just a 12 percent strikeout rate, showing excellent bat speed and pitch recognition, with the bat control to even make some decent contact on pitches out of the zone. His swing produces a lot of line-drive contact and he might have another half-grade of power coming if he gets a little stronger. Behind the plate, he’s agile with a plus arm and receives well, needing some work on framing and handling pitches low in the zone, which he tends to catch by dropping the glove first before moving back up towards the bottom of the zone. I’ve compared his ceiling before to a left-handed-hitting Jason Kendall, a guy who puts the ball in play a ton, runs very well for a catcher, and is an asset on defense.
    Kiley McDaniel, ESPN ... McDaniel's #7

Hit: 35/50, Power: 40/55, Speed: 45/40, Field: 50/55, Throw: 55/55

Teel shot up boards this spring as he continued to improve defensively, grading as plus for some scouts. Offensively, I don't love what he did with his swing (in short, he could shorten his hand path and may have to in the upper minors) but it's worked for him this year and the offensive tools have been real since high school.
    Last edited by sk7326; 07-09-2023 at 10:32 PM.

Legend
    Nazzan Zanetello

#33 on Law's Top 100 he sez

Zanetello is one of the best pure athletes in the draft class in how he moves – everything is incredibly quick-twitch, from his throwing release to his first step to his hand acceleration at the plate. He’s lean and projectable at 6-foot-2/6-foot-3, and his bat speed is impressive, with a very small load and simple start from which he explodes forward. He played quite a bit last summer and rarely chased pitches out of the zone, but there was some in-zone miss on fastballs, which might be a matter of timing. The bet here is that his athleticism will allow him to stay with better and better pitching as he moves up the ladder, and to make adjustments at the plate and in the field, because right now his physical tools are ahead of his baseball ones, like hit or power. He’s committed to Arkansas.
    McDaniel sez (his #64)

64. Nazzan Zanetello (18.1), SS, Christian Brothers HS (MO), Arkansas commit

His athletic testing is excellent and he creates a ton of bat speed with a small hand move, but scouts are split on how good his tools translate to baseball.

SoxProspects will most likely rank Teel #6 on their site per what they said on their podcast. Teel should start in Greenville next season and could get through the system pretty quickly. Has better all around tools than the other catchers in the system right now.

Zanetello is a pure athlete who will split time between SS and CF. Probably signs for over slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Zanetello was not even in my radar. Like Teel, I didn't think he'd make it to the Red Sox, as he was projected as even a possible reach in the 1st round for teams looking for projectable athletes.
    WAR is good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    SoxProspects will most likely rank Teel #6 on their site per what they said on their podcast. Teel should start in Greenville next season and could get through the system pretty quickly. Has better all around tools than the other catchers in the system right now.

Zanetello is a pure athlete who will split time between SS and CF. Probably signs for over slot.
    Where might Zanetello place? I'm thinking Teel should be 7th, and since the next guys will be pushed back, Z might be placed just in front of Paulino at #18.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Where might Zanetello place? I'm thinking Teel should be 7th, and since the next guys will be pushed back, Z might be placed just in front of Paulino at #18.
    No idea. They didn't say. 18 in front of Paulino?
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    Zanetello was not even in my radar. Like Teel, I didn't think he'd make it to the Red Sox, as he was projected as even a possible reach in the 1st round for teams looking for projectable athletes.
    Zanetello would have really benefited by Lowell still being around ... le sigh

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    No idea. They didn't say. 18 in front of Paulino?
    That seems fair. Right now - he is all athlete ... but probably starts you in the 18-24 range until his on-field resume starts to build up