Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/22 SOX @ Angels 9:38PM ET

Hybrid View

5/22 SOX @ Angels 9:38PM ET

Houck vs Barria

Another battle of 2 RH's.

Let's win another series.

Go SOX!
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 05-22-2023 at 01:33 PM.

On MAY 18th at the age of 87 the greatest running back, imho, in NFL history died. Jim Brown played his college ball in my hometown at Syracuse University. He also played lacrosse at SU and is considered by many the greatest lacrosse player of all time. He actually loved lacrosse more than football, but there was no professional leagues at the time so he went to the NFL.
    Unreal that 60 years earlier on the same date(5/18/63) another awesome SU football running back died of leukemia at the age of 23. A true tragedy. His name was Ernie Davis. If Davis had lived, he would have been playing in the same backfield as Brown in the following fall.
    Btw, Ernie Davis was the first Black football player to win the Heisman Trophy.

I'll always remember how pissed off Brown was when Franco Harris broke Brown's rushing record. He called Franco a coward because of Harris's propensity to run out of bounds instead of running over a defensive back like Brown used to do.
    Anyway, RIP to the greatest of them all.
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 05-22-2023 at 02:31 PM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    On MAY 18th at the age of 87 the greatest running back, imho, in NFL history died. Jim Brown played his college ball in my hometown at Syracuse University. He also played lacrosse at SU and is considered by many the greatest lacrosse player of all time. He actually loved lacrosse more than football, but there was no professional leagues at the time so he went to the NFL.
    Unreal that 60 years earlier on the same date(5/18/63) another awesome SU football running back died of leukemia at the age of 23. A true tragedy. His name was Ernie Davis. If Davis had lived, he would have been playing in the same backfield as Brown in the following fall.
    Btw, Ernie Davis was the first Black football player to win the Heisman Trophy.

I'll always remember how pissed off Brown was when Franco Harris broke Brown's rushing record. He called Franco a coward because of Harris's propensity to run out of bounds instead of running over a defensive back like Brown used to do.
    Anyway, RIP to the greatest of them all.
    I remember watching Jim Brown live on TV and agree he was the greatest ever. Big, tough, and fast. Too bad about Ernie.

On the partially good news front the SOX will 'only' have to face Ohtani as a hitter and not as a pitcher in this series.
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 05-22-2023 at 02:34 PM.

On the good news front the SOX will 'only' have to face Ohtani as a hitter and not as a pitcher.
    hey Splinter how r u doing?? I remember you from the old Red Sox forum and Love our Sox

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Sox View Post
    hey Splinter how r u doing?? I remember you from the old Red Sox forum and Love our Sox
    I'm doing well; hope you are too. For the most part the SOX have been fun to watch so far this season.

Vs the RHP Barria...

1. Dugo RF
    2. Yoshida LF
    3. Turner DH
    4. Devers 3B
    5. Duran CF
    6. Casas 1B
    7. Valdez 2B
    8. Reyes SS
    9. Wong C
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Vs the RHP Barria...

1. Dugo RF
    2. Yoshida LF
    3. Turner DH
    4. Devers 3B
    5. Duran CF
    6. Casas 1B
    7. Valdez 2B
    8. Reyes SS
    9. Wong C
    Turner has had success against Barria in the past.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Vs the RHP Barria...

1. Dugo RF
    2. Yoshida LF
    3. Turner DH
    4. Devers 3B
    5. Duran CF
    6. Casas 1B
    7. Valdez 2B
    8. Reyes SS
    9. Wong C
    I'm not sure Barria is a starter this season because his max innings to date is 4--on May 5. On May 17 he pitched 2.2. In 8 appearances in April he pitched a total of 16.1 innings.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I'm not sure Barria is a starter this season because his max innings to date is 4--on May 5. On May 17 he pitched 2.2. In 8 appearances in April he pitched a total of 16.1 innings.
    You're correct. This is his 1st start.

This is crazy for a team that's playing 5 games over .500, plus having played the toughest schedule in MLB. Going into the 1st 3rd of the season, Sale has the lowest ERA of all qualifying starters for the SOX. His ERA is 5.01. Paxton hasn't pitched enough innings to qualify.
    I seriously doubt any SOX team in my lifetime at this point in the season had a starter who lead the team with a 5.01 ERA.
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 05-22-2023 at 07:02 PM.

This is crazy for a team that's playing 5 games over .500. Going into the 1st 3rd of the season, Sale has the lowest ERA of all qualifying starters for the SOX. His ERA is 5.01. Paxton hasn't pitched enough innings to qualify.
    Adding to the craziness of being 5 games over .500 with the high ERA's of the starters is the SOX have played the toughest schedule in MLB, so far.
    I seriously doubt any SOX team in my lifetime at this point in the season had a starter who lead the team with a 5.01 ERA.
    Wacha lowered his to 3.58 yesterday... must be the mild temps of Mission Beach.

For those wondering why Mookie jumped at LA's contract offer with a similar AAV as Boston's, maybe it wasn't just Covid uncertainty.

When Jim Morrison slurred, "The West is the best," maybe it wasn't just because of parties and group-- naaah.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Wacha lowered his to 3.58 yesterday... must be the mild temps of Mission Beach.

For those wondering why Mookie jumped at LA's contract offer with a similar AAV as Boston's, maybe it wasn't just Covid uncertainty.

When Jim Morrison slurred, "The West is the best," maybe it wasn't just because of parties and group-- naaah.
    Well, if MR MOJO RISIN' slurred it, then it must be true. Hell, he even foresaw his own death on his 1st album.
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 05-22-2023 at 07:17 PM.

Well, if MR MOJO RISIN' slurred it, then it must be true. Hell, he even foresaw his own death on his 1st album.
    When it comes to the arts and entertainment, for me it's NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA and San Francisco. All the rest are 'fly over.'
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 05-22-2023 at 07:33 PM.

Deity
    This is crazy for a team that's playing 5 games over .500, plus having played the toughest schedule in MLB. Going into the 1st 3rd of the season, Sale has the lowest ERA of all qualifying starters for the SOX. His ERA is 5.01. Paxton hasn't pitched enough innings to qualify.
    The "no name" offense makes a huge difference.

As for the team ERA of 5.01, we are all only too aware of why. But lately some encouraging signs with Sale, Paxton, and Bello. Plus a lot of depth with Crawford and Whitlock back to either start or go to the bullpen.