Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 5/22 SOX @ Angels 9:38PM ET

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    This is good. You are kind of attacking CERA because the data on Wong vs. McGuire are not significant enough.

But I'm advocating a new version of CERA. It's called starter's choice, and my impression is that all the starters would prefer to have Wong behind the plate.

This does not mean that McGuire can't catch for the Sox because we need two catchers.

So all your data from the past that say McGuire has been pretty good behind the plate make a good case for keeping McGuire. And he won't just be the backup because no catcher can catch every game. For now McGuire will catch 1-2 starters each time through the rotation. He will be available to pinch hit for Wong and then catch in the late innings. He will also be available if Wong is injured.
    I'm not disagreeing on the concern over McGuire getting the most from the few pitchers both catch a significant amount of time- which isn't many.

I do think just about all of our SP'ers would say the prefer Wong, at this point in time- maybe even Kluber.

I don't think Crawford or Wink would, but they are not starters, right now.

I'm just trying to point out that it's not 8 to nothing.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Before we go onto the next game thread, I have to say last night was a heckuva game. Barria was dynamite in his first start of the year even though he relied heavily on just two pitches, slider and changeup. But those two pitches kept our guys off balance for 5 innings--which may even have carried over and benefitted the Angels bullpen.

Houck, on the other hand, started slowly but then just dominated the Angels, including Trout and Ohtani, who were both hitless in 3 at bats apiece vs. Houck. Too bad Crawford gave up the dinger, but that changeup was just too fat--and it looked like Moniak got all of it.