Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/13 Cards @ SOX 4:10PM ET

5/13 Cards @ SOX 4:10PM ET

Matz vs Sale

A battle of 2 left handers.

Hopefully, the SOX can initiate another winning streak.
    The only thing I'm certain of regarding today's game is ticket prices are as low as $52.00.

Go SOX!

Deity
    Reyes in lineup today at 2B. Bobby D optioned out again.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Reyes in lineup today at 2B. Bobby D optioned out again.
    They must really have a solid block on Hamilton, which begs the question: why protect him on Rule 5?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Ray @ Yankees series, now game 3 of 4, bears watching. Rays won game 1, 8-2, but Yankees came back to win game 2, 6-5, and now lead game 3, 9-6, in the 7th thanks to 4 runs in the 5th and 5 runs in the 6th.

To remind: the Rays got off to an incredible start and right now are a stunning 30-10. But they are still just 8 games up on the Yankees, who are in 5th place in the AL East, 1/2 game behind the Sox. Making up an 8 game deficit with 120 games still to play is eminently doable.

Someone else, moonslav, I think, pointed out that the Sox have a near-term opportunity because they aren't played against AL East teams.

Given this presumed opportunity, last night's loss, thanks to the complete collapse of the Sox bullpen after an excellent first start by Paxton, is especially dismaying. Not only did Winckowski and Jansen give that game away, both are unavailable today--although one could fairly argue their unavailability is a good thing.

I'm watching the Rays and Yankees and Yankee Stadium looks jam-packed.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 05-13-2023 at 02:43 PM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    They must really have a solid block on Hamilton, which begs the question: why protect him on Rule 5?
    Who is Hamilton?

Deity
    Rays pick up 2 in the 7th, and the game is now 9-8, Yankees.

Deity
    Yankees 3 up and 3 down in the 7th.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Ray @ Yankees series, now game 3 of 4, bears watching. Rays won game 1, 8-2, but Yankees came back to win game 2, 6-5, and now lead game 3, 9-6, in the 7th thanks to 4 runs in the 5th and 5 runs in the 6th.

To remind: the Rays got off to an incredible start and right now art still a stunning 30-10. But they are still just 8 games up on the Yankees, who are in 5th place in the AL East, 1/2 game behind the Sox. Making up an 8 game deficit with 120 games still to play is eminently doable.

Someone else, moonslav, I think, pointed out that the Sox have a near-term opportunity because they aren't played against AL East teams. Given "presumed opportunity," last night's loss, thanks to the complete collapse of the Sox bullpen after an excellent first start by Paxton, is especially dismaying. Not only did Winckowski and Jansen give that game away, both are unavailable today--although one could fairly argue their unavailability is a good thing.

I'm watching the Rays and Yankees and Yankee Stadium looks jam-packed.
    Wow! Maybe the Red Sox should just trade Wink, and Jansen since just maybe their unavailability for the rest of the year could be a good thing. What a tough critic. Usually it least takes a pitch, or two for the gloom, and doom to start, but not today.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Matz vs Sale

A battle of 2 left handers.

Hopefully, the SOX can initiate another winning streak.
    The only thing I'm certain of regarding today's game is ticket prices are as low as $52.00.

Go SOX!
    $52 is a lot.

I like Sale over Matz, obviously, but the Sox lefty lineup (vs righties) scores a whole lot more runs than the righty--163 runs vs. righties and 59 vs lefties. The Sox have faced lefty starters in 37 games and righty starters in 39 games.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Wow! Maybe the Red Sox should just trade Wink, and Jansen since just maybe their unavailability for the rest of the year could be a good thing. What a tough critic. Usually it least takes a pitch, or two for the gloom, and doom to start, but not today.
    I know they've both been good this season, but they both stunk last night. Indeed, the bullpen has been one of the Sox strengths this season.

Plus you deliberately misinterpreted my point, which is that, given how lousy our rotation has been this season, we have needed the bullpen to get that winning record. If the bullpen--and I do recognize this was just one game--struggles, the Sox are in trouble. And last night wasn't just 1 or 2 runs, but 6 coughed up by the bullpen. In other words, a good start by Paxton and 6 runs scored by the offense were wasted.

Where did you get the idea I wanted Winck and Jansen unavailable for the rest of the season? Also, why would you want them pitching today?
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 05-13-2023 at 03:08 PM.

Looks like a no hitter for Sale so far. He comes out dealing.

Deity
    Hanging changeup by Sale in the middle of the zone for the double. But I like his command and mix so far in the 1st.

Deity
    Dugo steady in RF for the 3d out. That was decently hit--off of another changeup by Sale.

Given all the righties he will face, it would help if that changeup had more break.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Hanging changeup by Sale in the middle of the zone for the double. But I like his command and mix so far in the 1st.
    Sale was fortunate it was just a double.

Deity
    Yankees win. Sox need a win to stay in 4th in the AL East.