Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 5/09/2023 Red Sox at Atlanta

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    WAR is intended to eliminate those luck factors you're talking about, that's why it should be fairer than ERA.
    I happen to think ERA is a tad lenient on pitchers because, as I said, one single error can lead to 4 or 5 unearned runs, and to me the pitcher should bear some responsibility for some of those runs. The principle of unearned runs is a good one, but at some point the pitcher should be charged with those "extra" (my term, not MLB's) unearned runs.

Also, nobody penalizes a pitcher who benefits from a great defensive play--it's still just an out that the pitcher gets full credit for in terms of ERA, etc. Same goes for line drives hit really, really hard but go straight to an outfielder who doesn't have to move. On the scorecard, it's just another out caused by solid pitching. What has made it harder for pitchers this season is getting rid of those radical shifts with three infielders on either side of 2b--but to me that change was long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I happen to think ERA is a tad lenient on pitchers because, as I said, one single error can lead to 4 or 5 unearned runs, and to me the pitcher should bear some responsibility for some of those runs. The principle of unearned runs is a good one, but at some point the pitcher should be charged with those "extra" (my term, not MLB's) unearned runs.

Also, nobody penalizes a pitcher who benefits from a great defensive play--it's still just an out that the pitcher gets full credit for in terms of ERA, etc. Same goes for line drives hit really, really hard but go straight to an outfielder who doesn't have to move. On the scorecard, it's just another out caused by solid pitching. What has made it harder for pitchers this season is getting rid of those radical shifts with three infielders on either side of 2b--but to me that change was long overdue.
    By the same token though, there are bad defensive plays that don't get charged as errors - an infielder who has poor range and doesn't get to a ball, an outfielder who misreads a flyball and doesn't get to it.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Weak IF hits, especially swinging bunts and slower, seeing-eye or bloop singles should just about even out with the line shot or deep fly ball outs for most pitchers, but some ground ball pitchers are likely hurt by playing on a team with slow and poor defensive IF'ers. Fly ball pitchers with slower or poor defensive OF'ers. High K% pitchers will be affected the least.

Our team has been pretty bad in the IF and OF, this year. It has to be one part of the high team ERA and the great increase in individual pitcher ERAs from 2022 to 2023 or from some pitchers 2-3 recent year avg ERA and 2023.

Only Wink and Crawford have improved.

The new catchers could be part of the reason, too.

The rule changes have and whatever have increased the league ERA by 9% from 2022, as well.

Add them all up, and maybe it's not all the pitcher's fault, but some must be.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Weak IF hits, especially swinging bunts and slower, seeing-eye or bloop singles should just about even out with the line shot or deep fly ball outs for most pitchers, but some ground ball pitchers are likely hurt by playing on a team with slow and poor defensive IF'ers. Fly ball pitchers with slower or poor defensive OF'ers. High K% pitchers will be affected the least.

Our team has been pretty bad in the IF and OF, this year. It has to be one part of the high team ERA and the great increase in individual pitcher ERAs from 2022 to 2023 or from some pitchers 2-3 recent year avg ERA and 2023.

Only Wink and Crawford have improved.

The new catchers could be part of the reason, too.

The rule changes have and whatever have increased the league ERA by 9% from 2022, as well.

Add them all up, and maybe it's not all the pitcher's fault, but some must be.

The Sox rarely emphasize defense over offense, but this year, I agree, has been worse than usual. Fascinatingly, the worst DWAR's are Yoshida's (-.5), Casas (-.5), Kike (-.3), McGuire (-.3), Turner (-.3), and Valdez (-.2). Duvall and Refsnyder both at -.1.

Wong, Chang, Duran, and Devers all have plus DWAR's.

I think we agreed the defense stunk about a month ago.

So let's assume that Cora has decided to emphasize hitting over defense. If he has, the results have been surprisingly good. This team without Bogaerts is hitting better than last year's with Bogaerts, and by better I mean relative to all other MLB teams. The Sox are 3d in MLB in runs scored. Last year they were 9th.

The Sox rarely emphasize defense over offense, but this year, I agree, has been worse than usual. Fascinatingly, the worst DWAR's are Yoshida's (-.5), Casas (-.5), Kike (-.3), McGuire (-.3), Turner (-.3), and Valdez (-.2). Duvall and Refsnyder both at -.1.

Wong, Chang, Duran, and Devers all have plus DWAR's.

I think we agreed the defense stunk about a month ago.

So let's assume that Cora has decided to emphasize hitting over defense. If he has, the results have been surprisingly good. This team without Bogaerts is hitting better than last year's with Bogaerts, and by better I mean relative to all other MLB teams. The Sox are 3d in MLB in runs scored. Last year they were 9th.
    They tried to, last year:

+ JBJ
    - Renfroe

+ Story
    - Arroyo/Marwin/Chavis

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    We need someone to start today's gamethread, and it can't be me: so far not very lucky this season; can't watch the game live because of insane blackout restrictions.

I can't start it either because of Pivetta and the lack of hitters last night. We need the Splendid Splinter to step up and start a new streak. Or Jad.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    I can't start it either because of Pivetta and the lack of hitters last night. We need the Splendid Splinter to step up and start a new streak. Or Jad.
    Makes sense to me.

Deity
    We need someone to start today's gamethread, and it can't be me: so far not very lucky this season; can't watch the game live because of insane blackout restrictions.
    You’re unlucky because you keep using the correct date…