Register now to remove this ad

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: 5/07 SOX @ Phillies 1:35PM ET

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I think we pretty much have to stick with Kluber, due to him doing better than almost everyone else but Sale, lately.

I think Bello deserves a long look. That makes 3.

The rest all have issues or concerns:

Paxton will get a look, and soon.
    Pivetta is as steady as they come, even if not brilliant.
    Houck has been going longer and longer into games and may win a slot more by default than proving he is more valuable as a SP'er than RP'er.
    Crawford might be the wild card i this whole shuffle and sort.

4 guys for the last 2 slots, in my eyes.

Wink stays right where he is.

Drohan may double-jump up, late in the year.
    Whitlock's health is always a concern, and maybe the pen is best for him.
    Houck has the most IP on the team, 37.2. 2d is Sale, 35.1. 3d is Kluber, 34.1. And 4th is Pivetta, 30.2, who gets his 7th start today. If he goes, say, 5.1 innings today, that's 36 IP in 7 starts.

In other words, four of the five starters are a pretty tight shot group in terms of IP. They're all around 5 IP per game.

And that puts a lot of pressure on the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Houck has the most IP on the team, 37.2. 2d is Sale, 35.1. 3d is Kluber, 34.1. And 4th is Pivetta, 30.2, who gets his 7th start today. If he goes, say, 5.1 innings today, that's 36 IP in 7 starts.

In other words, four of the five starters are a pretty tight shot group in terms of IP. They're all around 5 IP per game.

If that's the case, they should move a guy like Houck to the pen because he can throw multiple innings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

No matter where one stands in the x-times-through-the-order debate -- if recent past means anything -- Cora sure doesn't seem like he wants to yank his starters and exhaust his relievers. Remember, there were a few times last year when a guy was really dealing and AC let his starter go the distance.

Instead of being totally beholden to the analytics department (like in meccas of innovation like LA and Tampa), isn't it just as likely Cora pulls the hook more times than not because he knows his starters are gassed or just can't be trusted? Every game, the coaching staff and catchers are in constant communication about nuances of stuff and location that always supersede voices in the booth or in my recliner.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post

I doubt they want Houck to pitch 210 innings, this year, even if he finds and stays in a groove, anyway.

With Whitlock looking more and more like a pen arm, to me, I'm thinking we might need to baby Houck a little bit, especially since he will be getting even more innings in the playoffs.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    No matter where one stands in the x-times-through-the-order debate -- if recent past means anything -- Cora sure doesn't seem like he wants to yank his starters and exhaust his relievers. Remember, there were a few times last year when a guy was really dealing and AC let his starter go the distance.

Instead of being totally beholden to the analytics department (like in meccas of innovation like LA and Tampa), isn't it just as likely Cora pulls the hook more times than not because he knows his starters are gassed or just can't be trusted? Every game, the coaching staff and catchers are in constant communication about nuances of stuff and location that always supersede voices in the booth or in my recliner.
    If I was going to complain about yanking starters to early or leaving them in too long, and I wouldn't on either- I'd choose leaving some of the starters in too long, but only if I was forced to choose one.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?