Register now to remove this ad

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: 4/8 @ Tigers

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I doubt any major moves will be made over an 8 game sample size.

While Kike is not doing well, at all, he has company:

16+ ABs
    .364 Wong (more ABs than McGuire)
    .496 Casas
    .519 Arroyo
    .579 Kike
    .586 Refsnyder
    .645 Turner (despite the .378 OBP)

I will say, I did expect better D from Kike, too.

Hernandez also has something like 5 errors on the season! He needs to be in the outfield.

Deity
    Everyone knew before the season even started that Kike had never been anything close to be a FT SS before with I believe 24 games is the most Kike had ever played there, and some just took it for granted that he would be good there. Duvall has never been a FT CF, but he’s pounding the ball, and hasn’t had many rough chances out in CF there so far. That’s the kind of things that Bloom does when putting together a team just like last year when the Red Sox needed a CF he went out, and got Pham a LF. Kike is not hitting once again, which is a big problem too along with Casas, and Arroyo. Yoshida hasn’t exactly been knocking the cover off the ball either, and has hit more ping pong balls to the IF then anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Hernandez also has something like 5 errors on the season! He needs to be in the outfield.
    Singing to the choir.

I mentioned a way we can improve the D by shifting a few guys around, but I don't think Casas should be benched indefinitely to make it happen.

I'm also not sure Change hits any better, and he's not great on D, either.

I'm not sure we can say Chang is better on D based on 4 errors by Kike out of the gate, but if he is, certainly that is an option, too.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Everyone knew before the season even started that Kike had never been anything close to be a FT SS before with I believe 24 games is the most Kike had ever played there, and some just took it for granted that he would be good there. Duvall has never been a FT CF, but he’s pounding the ball, and hasn’t had many rough chances out in CF there so far. That’s the kind of things that Bloom does when putting together a team just like last year when the Red Sox needed a CF he went out, and got Pham a LF. Kike is not hitting once again, which is a big problem too along with Casas, and Arroyo. Yoshida hasn’t exactly been knocking the cover off the ball either, and has hit more ping pong balls to the IF then anything else.
    Come on, now. It's not Bloom's fault there were no free-agent Shortstops available this winter.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

As I said before, Bloom tends to have a bit too much of a "try anything" attitude. And now we have a SS who's on pace for 100 errors.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    As I said before, Bloom tends to have a bit too much of a "try anything" attitude. And now we have a SS who's on pace for 100 errors.
    Bobby D played SS yesterday, and is waiting in the wings in Worcester.

Deity
    Kike only had about 1,000 career innings in CF before signing with Boston. That worked out.

It might be a bit early to panic on Kike at SS. Some (all?) of his errors are likely due a lack of experience at the position. Experienced shortstops Bo Bichette and CJ Abrams have 3 errors each, and neither has the “but I’ve been playing elsewhere” excuse.

The Sox are very likely going to stick with Hernandez for a while, and there’s a good chance he improves…

Deity
    Why do we like to pretend that’s all Bloom and none of it is Cora? You know, the manager who started Christian Vazquez at 1b, 2b and 3b in various games before Bloom was even hired?

Deity
    Also, if the Sox did sign a SS, they very likely wouldn’t have signed a CF who’s on pace for 81 HRs and a 338 OPS+…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Why do we like to pretend that’s all Bloom and none of it is Cora? You know, the manager who started Christian Vazquez at 1b, 2b and 3b in various games before Bloom was even hired?
    I don't think it's pretending that Bloom didn't sign a SS.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    It wasn’t even a need until mid-January. At that point, there were certainly good players left (Correa hadn’t even signed the first of his 3 deals yet), but were there any stopgap options definitively better than Hernandez? (I liked Andrus, but as he is not at SS, comparisons are tough.)

Also Adalberto Mondesi isn’t dead yet. I get how his consistent IL trips can create that impression. But he isn’t…

Deity
    Very true, and Kike is nothing more that a stopgap himself no matter where he plays.

Deity
    Not to mention, signing a SS very likely means Kike is in CF. Which also very likely means Adam Duvall isn’t on the radar.

And as bad as the early Kike play has been at SS, the early hitting of Duvall has been better.

Of course both are likely to level off. I doubt anyone believes Duvall will maintain a 338 OPS+ all year. So why do you think Kike will get over 100 errors? (Bear in mind no player has made 100 errors in a season since the addition of webbing to the gloves. Do you really think Kike will be the first?)

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Kike only had about 1,000 career innings in CF before signing with Boston. That worked out.

It might be a bit early to panic on Kike at SS. Some (all?) of his errors are likely due a lack of experience at the position. Experienced shortstops Bo Bichette and CJ Abrams have 3 errors each, and neither has the “but I’ve been playing elsewhere” excuse.

The Sox are very likely going to stick with Hernandez for a while, and there’s a good chance he improves…
    Have to chaim in here, since I was just having a discussion about why a favorite like Toronto isn't the world-beater many expected... so far.

To be a champion, the shortstop position just can't be erratic. A good shortstop doesn't always have to hit, but he needs to be consistent on D.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Have to chaim in here, since I was just having a discussion about why a favorite like Toronto isn't the world-beater many expected... so far.

To be a champion, the shortstop position just can't be erratic. A good shortstop doesn't always have to hit, but he needs to be consistent on D.
    1. “Consistently bad” is still consistent.

2. If you meant “consistently good”, why does Derek Jeter have all those rings?