Register now to remove this ad

View Poll Results: How many wins with the sox have in 2023?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 70 wins

0 0%
  • 71-80 wins

10 66.67%
  • 81-85 wins

2 13.33%
  • 86-90 wins

3 20.00%
  • 91+ wins

0 0%
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: How will the Red Sox do?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I never doubted our O would be good, but this is mind-boggling.

It was the O's pitching, and now we face PIT, so ....

Yes, gotta like the start.
    With the next six games vs. Pitt and Detroit, a winning record for Boston is absolutely essential. The final 20 games in the rest of April are all against better clubs with playoff aspirations, starting with a four-game set in Tampa.

The Rays are loaded with arms and young impact players: Franco, Arozarena, Paredes, Siri. The Angels and Twins are improved, while Milwaukee and Cleveland have pitching staffs with shutdown stuff.

A 6-3 or even 5-4 record after the next week will set the tone for the first month. After that, if the Sox can just break even at 10-10 the rest of April, they can legitimately stay in the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    With the next six games vs. Pitt and Detroit, a winning record for Boston is absolutely essential. The final 20 games in the rest of April are all against better clubs with playoff aspirations, starting with a four-game set in Tampa.

The Rays are loaded with arms and young impact players: Franco, Arozarena, Paredes, Siri. The Angels and Twins are improved, while Milwaukee and Cleveland have pitching staffs with shutdown stuff.

A 6-3 or even 5-4 record after the next week will set the tone for the first month. After that, if the Sox can just break even at 10-10 the rest of April, they can legitimately stay in the hunt.
    I hope we are 6-3 after 9, but it's a long season.

Certainly starting out well helps our chances and sometimes sets the mood and pattern of a team for the year.

I'm encouraged by the fact that we still have a lot of talent that has yet to play:

Crawford & Pivetta
    Whitlock & Bello
    Mondesi & Paxton
    JRod & Mills
    and Story

I'm expecting some good things from 5-6 of these guys.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    I have had them both on Block for a long time. Keep me informed how their middle-school spat goes.
    I'm sure you already know exactly how it's going then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Don't get worked up over small samples either way. I try to wait until Memorial Day before I really have a good idea on how a season is really going to go. The first series of the year is always over amplified.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Don't get worked up over small samples either way. I try to wait until Memorial Day before I really have a good idea on how a season is really going to go. The first series of the year is always over amplified.
    The only good thing about looking at stats this early is the hilarity of how unsustainable they are. I mean, maybe Tampa goes 162-0, Adam Duvall will hit 108 Home Runs, score 382 times and knock in 432 runs. Wander Franco is on pace to be the first .600 hitter in baseball!!!!!!!!

Can you guys believe Alex Bregman is looking to strike ou 283 times this year? Jeffery Sprints will strike out 384 batters in just 194 innings without surrendering one hit the ENTIRE YEAR!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

It is. All I can say is, after losing the first one and being down 7-1 in the second, winning 2 of 3 is a happy result.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

The only good thing about looking at stats this early is the hilarity of how unsustainable they are. I mean, maybe Tampa goes 162-0, Adam Duvall will hit 108 Home Runs, score 382 times and knock in 432 runs. Wander Franco is on pace to be the first .600 hitter in baseball!!!!!!!!

Can you guys believe Alex Bregman is looking to strike ou 283 times this year? Jeffery Sprints will strike out 384 batters in just 194 innings without surrendering one hit the ENTIRE YEAR!!!!
    I would love to see a guy k 300 times.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It is. All I can say is, after losing the first one and being down 7-1 in the second, winning 2 of 3 is a happy result.
    I liked that even though they LOST the first game, that the team fought back and made it close. I felt like last year's team would have folded and just lost 10-5 or whatever. The offense kept fighting and I think that will serve the team well over the long run. That's kind of why I said this team was a 84 win team, but will end up with 88 wins. They seem like they'll outcompete some other teams throughout the long season.
    I get MV Pee.

One reason we lost too many games like these recent games with the O's in 2021 and 2022, was our piss-poor pen, especially the 8th and 9th inning guys.

So far, Jansen, Martin and Schreiber have done their jobs.

I hope Winck can keep up the pace.

I would love to see a guy k 300 times.
    If we could live in hypothetical la la land for just one moment.

What would one make of a guy who:

Bats .167
    strikes out 300 times
    hits 100 home runs
    knocks in 300 RBIS
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Deity

If Springs did strike out 384 batters, he would set the post-1900 record by one strikeout.

It makes Nolan Ryan’s 383 strikeouts in 1973 all that much more impress. Ditto Koufax’ 382 K’s in 1965…

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    One reason we lost too many games like these recent games with the O's in 2021 and 2022, was our piss-poor pen, especially the 8th and 9th inning guys.

So far, Jansen, Martin and Schreiber have done their jobs.

I hope Winck can keep up the pace.
    The worry with Schreiber is that his velo appears to be down and he had a bad Spring Training. We'll see if his stuff ticks back up.

Joely should help when he comes back. Crawford and Houck may kick Ort/Brasier/Kelly out of the pen when Whitlock and Bello return.

There was hope that Winckowski's pitch mix would "play up" out of the pen and so far it has. He wasn't hitting 97 with his splitter last year and 3 k's in 3 innings is good for him. That slider is still a below average pitch. He may need to stop throwing it or at least reduce using it.
    I get MV Pee.

If we could live in hypothetical la la land for just one moment.

What would one make of a guy who:

Bats .167
    strikes out 300 times
    hits 100 home runs
    knocks in 300 RBIS
    Baseball Jesus. MVP Season. It's the 2 true outcomes that were promised...
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    The great, and objective John Tomase said it this way. This Red Sox team is the least talented team in the JH era to start off the season.I don’t think anyone predicted what happened in 2021, nor what happened last year, so I’m not predicting at all. I will say that a lot of things will have to go right for this team to be anything like 2021 starting with good health of the starting staff.
    Excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Excellent post.
    How can this team be viewed as less talented than the 2020 team, even if Sale and ERod are not on the IL, all year?