Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: World Baseball Classic

Triple A

World Baseball Classic

Anyone watching? Masataka Yoshida hit a homer today to lift Japan into the semi's against Italy. He's playing well (already 10 RBIs). Ohtani hit 102 today on the radar gun, but didn't make it out of the 5th. US plays Venezuela Saturday.

It's unfortunate, but I think a vast number of baseball fans, including myself, do not really support this event, because it can have negative results for our major league teams, such as we saw with the season-ending injury to Diaz. Freeman also sustained an injury, not sure how serious that one is.

Great to see Yoshida raking though. Looking forward to watching him this year.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

This event sucks. Here is why
    1. Non US countries have guys willing to crawl over hot coals to play. The US guys either beg out or are kept out by their MLB teams. So you've got a watered down US product.
    2. Players are forced to ramp up early, leading to fatigue issues earlier in the season
    3. Players get hurt. In 2013, after the Yanks fell to Detroit in the ALCS the year prior, Mark Teixeira blew out a tendon in his wrist. He was a 3WAR player at that point. We had negative WAR that season and it took 2 years for Tex to recover. 2013 was the first year the Yanks missed the playoffs since 1993. Now the Mets will deal with this with Edwin Diaz.
    Hal sucks

It's a drag because you can see how passionate the non-US/Canada teams are about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It's unfortunate, but I think a vast number of baseball fans, including myself, do not really support this event, because it can have negative results for our major league teams, such as we saw with the season-ending injury to Diaz. Freeman also sustained an injury, not sure how serious that one is.

Great to see Yoshida raking though. Looking forward to watching him this year.
    I think you may be referring to U.S. fans, because to a vast number of baseball fans of every other team in the final six, this is akin to a hardball World Cup. Fans of Mexico, Venezuela, Japan, Puerto Rico, Cuba... even the eliminated DR, are all agog over this tournament for bragging rights.

The WBC is important in promoting baseball across the globe, and you can bet there's increased interest in the sport now in places like Italy, Great Britain and the Czech Republic.

Most of the pro guys would already be playing baseball games in Florida or Arizona anyway -- the two U.S. sites for both Spring Training and the WBC. And let's be honest, as much as Grapefruit and Cactus contests are welcomed this time of year, they're basically meaningless as far as keeping score, and even sometimes vapid to watch anonymous replacements taking their sips of big league coffee.

Competition and emotion is what really makes the WBC -- or participating and/or spectating in any sports -- fun.

It's a drag because you can see how passionate the non-US/Canada teams are about it.
    I think it's a drag that U.S. fans feel like the MLB is more important, but I totally understand not caring as much if you feel not all your best players are participating. It's comparable to the Olympics in that regard, like not sending the NBA All-Stars to crush all other countries.

On the other hand, look how crazy the world goes rooting for underdogs whenever they can take down professional powerhouses. There's a reason the 1980 US Olympic hockey team will always be one of the great sports stories in USA USA history.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I think you may be referring to U.S. fans, because to a vast number of baseball fans of every other team in the final six, this is akin to a hardball World Cup. Fans of Mexico, Venezuela, Japan, Puerto Rico, Cuba... even the eliminated DR, are all agog over this tournament for bragging rights.

The WBC is important in promoting baseball across the globe, and you can bet there's increased interest in the sport now in places like Italy, Great Britain and the Czech Republic.

Most of the pro guys would already be playing baseball games in Florida or Arizona anyway -- the two U.S. sites for both Spring Training and the WBC. And let's be honest, as much as Grapefruit and Cactus contests are welcomed this time of year, they're basically meaningless as far as keeping score, and even sometimes vapid to watch anonymous replacements taking their sips of big league coffee.

Competition and emotion is what really makes the WBC -- or participating and/or spectating in any sports -- fun.
    I get that, but injuries like the one to Diaz are the elephant in the room.

Legend
    The WBC is great - but it'd be MUCH better served to replace the Caribbean World Series (for instance) when it goes. There are definitely flaws in the timing - and some of the injuries have been real bummers. But how the other countries react to this shows that is is good idea for the game.

I watched the Mexico/Puerto Rico game and the US/Venezuela game. It's been fun enough. The pitchers can be a very mixed bag. It appears that the better hitters are just hitting off a tee sometimes. I don't know how serious the tournament needs to be, but if some of the pitchers aren't going to ever show up, it can just be a quirk of the schedule going forward. Injuries happen at the WBC, but injuries happen in ST too. Gavin Lux is out for the year running from 2B to 3B. It's just the nature of participating in a sport. These guys need to ramp up for the season somehow anyway. Overall, I think it's good for the game.

IMO, a few of the countries in the tournament shouldn't have fielded a team. If you can't even get 10 people onto the roster that were born from that country, don't let them into the tournament.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

I’ve actually been really enjoying it. Yoshida has been amazing for Japan in the tournament and his play style seems like it will definitely translate to MLB

That was a crazy good game

Japan Vs USA for championship tomorrow, should be a great game

Deity
    It's great baseball. Last night's Mexico-Japan game was better than most MLB games I've watched because those other countries--but especially Mexico and Japan, who have sizable populations and have been playing baseball for 150 years--love the WBC.

I don't discount the injury aspect, which is real and potentially costly (as it was again this year when that player was injured in the post-game celebration). But it's still great fun to watch with games that are well played and enthusiastically supported by fans. Miami games have been sold out, which they aren't during the regular MLB season.

I've been a Sox fan since 1949, but have routinely apologized for my baseball fandom because I have no family or friends who share that passion. Why? Because MLB games last forever--3+ hours with maybe 10 minutes of real action--and are definitely an acquired taste.

So, when I see fanatics from other countries--to say nothing of the players--I'm delighted.

Last night I rooted for Japan, especially after seeing what an unbelievable hotdog Arozarena is. When the game ended and Mexico had lost, he had a big smile on his face because for him it's all about the show. Nevertheless, I thought both teams played a high brand of baseball--definitely MLB caliber.

Yes, that was one hell of a game. And Yoshida looks terrific.

Yes, that was one hell of a game. And Yoshida looks terrific.
    Overlooked in his WBC record RBIs is the defensive play that saved the game for Japan -- when Yoshida gunned down a runner at the plate for the last out in the 8th, keeping it a two-run deficit. He's fundamentally sound.