Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2023 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's ridiculous to arbitrarily choose the last 2 years and discard any meaning to the last 3,4, 5, or 6 years.

You know damn well, many players have brief (from 1 month to 2 years) moments of glory and health.

Plus, you act like 310 IP in these last 2 years is something to be wow'd by.

It's NOT!

There is a real chance he gets hurt, again, or moves his performance level back towards his pre-2021 years.

BTW, you do know Paxton had exactly 310 IP from 2018 to 2019, but people still knew he was injury prone, including you.

Why is this any different?

You just want to believe he won't get hurt.
    This is quite possibly the dumbest thing you've ever written
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    This is quite possibly the dumbest thing you've ever written
    You talked about how injury prone Paxton was after pitching 310 innings the previous two seasons, right?

Am I lying?

What is so different about Rodon, now than Paxton after 2019?

Honestly, are you impressed by Rodon's 310 IP, in the last 2 seasons' combined (not his performance but the IP total?)

Are you confident he goes 155 IP, this year, or next? (310/2)

It's dumb to bring it up? It's the dumbest thing I ever brought UP? (Come on! I once called Wil Middlebrooks "Wil-da-beast!")

LMAO!

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    You talked about how injury prone Paxton was after pitching 310 innings the previous two seasons, right?

Am I lying?

What is so different about Rodon, now than Paxton after 2019?

Honestly, are you impressed by Rodon's 310 IP, in the last 2 seasons' combined (not his performance but the IP total?)

Are you confident he goes 155 IP, this year, or next? (310/2)

It's dumb to bring it up? It's the dumbest thing I ever brought UP? (Come on! I once called Wil Middlebrooks "Wil-da-beast!")

LMAO!

The difference in actual talent between Rodon and Paxton really isn’t that much. Both have significant injury histories. Rodon just timed his healthier seasons better for a big payday.

But that both of them got hurt quickly this off-season carries the same level of surprise as a daily sunrise…
    Last edited by notin; 03-11-2023 at 02:12 PM.

The stupidity on this thread is deafening

1. Paxton is 4 years older than Rodon.
    2. Rodon made 55 starts the last 2 seasons, Paxton made 1
    3. Paxton has made a total of 6 starts the last 3 years combined
    4. Paxton is coming off back and elbow surgeries since he last pitched a full season

Guys, one player (Paxton) is probably in his final season in the majors. The other is a guy who had a CY voted on season last year. Paxton has had major injuries as has Rodon. But Paxton continues to have minor muscular ailments keeping him off the field. He is a broken down old horse. Rodon, as long as he escapes major injury with this elbow issue, should be expected to have a solid year. But that is still in question
    Hal sucks

Now Bader is down for the first 3 weeks of the season. He wants a Yankee extension. Kid needs to stay on the field after he comes back
    We do have depth, although the quality of it is in question. Judge likely slides back to CF. Cabrera now cements his spot in LF. We will need someone in RF for the first few weeks. They keep talking about Stanton in RF. Fuck that. The guy is a walking injury. He is a DH, that is it. I would consider Dominguez for a cup of coffee and see if he can parlay a good spring into a good start. I would also consider Hicks as a last gasp option. Calhoun and Ortega are showing well in camp apparently. I have always liked Calhoun from afar. Guy comes up, crushes it as a rookie. Gets hurt, gets caught in a roster squeeze and then gets pissed at his service time manipulation. The big question is, did his injury leave him as damaged goods or is he the next Urshela we pull off the scrap heap who turns into a good player?
    Hal sucks

4. Paxton is coming off back and elbow surgeries since he last pitched a full season

Guys, one player (Paxton) is probably in his final season in the majors. The other is a guy who had a CY voted on season last year. Paxton has had major injuries as has Rodon. But Paxton continues to have minor muscular ailments keeping him off the field. He is a broken down old horse. Rodon, as long as he escapes major injury with this elbow issue, should be expected to have a solid year. But that is still in question
    The real point was that Rodon's year by year innings log tells us he can't be considered a bastion of health...
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Never said he was
    Hal sucks

Deity

The point is Rodon has pitched in parts of 8 seasons, and seen 5 of them cut short by injury. That he went two years without maiming himself doesn’t mean that is all behind him. (In fact, I think he actually finished 2021 injured.)

I pointed out all off-season before the Yankees signed him that Rodon was a major health risk. (As if this was news.) Not sure why anyone would find this surprising.

The injuries to Bader and Trivino surprised me. Rodon? Not at all.

And I won’t be surprised if Severino gets hurt either. Nor Sale. Nor Kluber…
    Last edited by notin; 03-12-2023 at 11:09 AM.

Deity
    Now Bader is down for the first 3 weeks of the season. He wants a Yankee extension. Kid needs to stay on the field after he comes back
    We do have depth, although the quality of it is in question. Judge likely slides back to CF. Cabrera now cements his spot in LF. We will need someone in RF for the first few weeks. They keep talking about Stanton in RF. Fuck that. The guy is a walking injury. He is a DH, that is it. I would consider Dominguez for a cup of coffee and see if he can parlay a good spring into a good start. I would also consider Hicks as a last gasp option. Calhoun and Ortega are showing well in camp apparently. I have always liked Calhoun from afar. Guy comes up, crushes it as a rookie. Gets hurt, gets caught in a roster squeeze and then gets pissed at his service time manipulation. The big question is, did his injury leave him as damaged goods or is he the next Urshela we pull off the scrap heap who turns into a good player?
    I think it just means 3 weeks of Hicks. The Yankees aren’t adding Dominguez to the 40 man roster, starting his service time, and burning an option year to avoid their $10mill backup outfielder…

And Rizzo's balky back is acting up again. Can anyone stay healthy?
    Hal sucks

Overall, this team should be even better with the more balanced schedule. The AL East was a buzzsaw and they won 99 games. They should eclipse 100 with the other divisions having very little depth and the Yanks not seeing their own division as much. The biggest question will come in the POs. Can the team arrive there with their stars not banged up. Can they have some jobs be taken by hot shot kids. Can they hit now that the shift is dead? Can they make enough contact against dominant pitchers? Lots of questions, but still should be a good year for the boys in the Bronx. Go Yanks
    Needs to be changed to "can the team arrive to Opening Day with a functioning 26 man roster?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Needs to be changed to "can the team arrive to Opening Day with a functioning 26 man roster?"
    I hope they're getting it out of the way now. They're deep enough to handle some of the losses, but invariably some of the replacements will get hurt and we will be up shit's creek
    Hal sucks

I hope they're getting it out of the way now. They're deep enough to handle some of the losses, but invariably some of the replacements will get hurt and we will be up shit's creek
    Do you think Aaron Judge is successfully beyond the injury prone label? You expect 4-5 reasonably healthy years unless there's some really fluky injury?

I'm not a Gerrit Cole fan, but at least that guy is a horse. Yankees may be the only team in the East with a true anchor in the rotation (Manoah is young and his xFIP shows room for regression, McClanahan hasn't pitched a full season).
    I get MV Pee.

@stephapstein
    I went to journalism school so I could provide you with this exclusive exposé: The Yankees charge their players for internet on the team plane.

“It’s your fault,” they tell one another. “Your contract is too big, so they can’t pay for the Wi-Fi.”
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @stephapstein
    I went to journalism school so I could provide you with this exclusive exposé: The Yankees charge their players for internet on the team plane.

“It’s your fault,” they tell one another. “Your contract is too big, so they can’t pay for the Wi-Fi.”
    Silly story, but good for a few chuckles.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2023/03/15/ya...light-internet
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.