Register now to remove this ad

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2023 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    This year or next?
    This.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    This.
    I'm not sure I'd use the word "excellent," as the Yanks are sucking, too.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

I'm not sure I'd use the word "excellent," as the Yanks are sucking, too.
    Yes, and they've picked up 4 games on us over the last 5. That's how bad we are now. Our pitching staff is in shreds, moon.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Red means counted on to be solid plus.

How can you view Rizzo as being average compared to all 1Bmen?

Some pen guys could be red. You mention the chances of a vet or young guy stepping up to red, but the same chance exists that a red guy gets hurt or declined below red. IMO, you might have 4 red guys in your line up, yet you say you think you only need to add just two bats.

Please explain.
    Before the game where he got concussed by Tatis he was hitting .303/.376/.507 with 11 HRs and 31 RBIs over 52 games. After that game he hit .176 with only one HR until hitting the IL in early August. I don't think he's a .300 hitter anymore even without the concussion, but I don't think it's a stretch to say he's average or above average when his brain isn't damaged.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    That Rizzo played that long while concussed is not a good look for the Yankees org.
    WAR is good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yes, and they've picked up 4 games on us over the last 5. That's how bad we are now. Our pitching staff is in shreds, moon.
    Indeed, and they have 9 games left vs DET, KCR and PIT.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Before the game where he got concussed by Tatis he was hitting .303/.376/.507 with 11 HRs and 31 RBIs over 52 games. After that game he hit .176 with only one HR until hitting the IL in early August. I don't think he's a .300 hitter anymore even without the concussion, but I don't think it's a stretch to say he's average or above average when his brain isn't damaged.
    He will be another year older in 2024 and started declining pretty quickly after 2019.

It may not be a "stretch" to think he can be average in 2024, but I think the odds are against it. The 15th ranked 1Bman in MLB, now is at about .770-.780. Here are Rizzo's OPS numbers since 2020:

He'll turn 35, next season. Why would .770-.780 be expected?

No, it's not a stretch to think it could happen, but my list was supposed to be about how many slots can be viewed as solid for 2024? Solid average is not even asking for much.

I see 4, maybe 5 if the starting 9.
    3 maybe 4 SP'ers
    an unknown amount of RP'ers, when 2-3 years ago, you guys had 4-5 in the pen viewed as AVG or AVG+. Let's say you have 2.

That's about 11 slots out of 26. You guys may be planning to spend big, this coming winter, but you are more than 3-4 slots away from being top contenders, again.

Agreed on needing to fill multiple positions. Was only talking about Rizzo though. I think he can OPS .770+ because he surpassed it last year, and also this year until he got concussed. The reduction of shifts has helped him, and he also still plays good defense (when playing healthy).

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Agreed on needing to fill multiple positions. Was only talking about Rizzo though. I think he can OPS .770+ because he surpassed it last year, and also this year until he got concussed. The reduction of shifts has helped him, and he also still plays good defense (when playing healthy).
    It's not unreasonable to project that, but at his age, I don't think it's a solid bet he reaches .770-.780. Sure, he can, but is it a solid enough bet to count on?

I do think the Yanks bet he can and do not upgrade at 1B, and I doubt they try and upgrade at catching, either. They will bank on bounce backs from Trivino and Higgy.

They will slot LeMahieu somewhere as a FT'er, too. That could easily be two choices that end up below average. They will probably go with Stanton at DH, again, so that's 3 out of 9. They will add a CF'er and maybe LF'er, and try to get a SP'er and 2-3 solid pen arms. Is that going to be enough?

Last spring, there is no way any Yankee fan would say the Sox had a better foundation or players you can count on to be average or above average at their positions. Now, I'm not so sure they'd feel the same way, now.

Wong/McGuire v Trivino/Higgy

Casas v Rizzo/Bauers

Urias/Reyes v Torres

Story v Volpe

Devers vs LeMahieu/Peraza

Duran/Refsnyder v Pereira/I F-k

Rafaela/Abreu v McKinney

Dugo v Judge

Yoshida v Stanton

The pitching shows the Yanks in a better light, but there are a lot of questions for both teams.

Bello, Sale, Pivetta, Houck, Crawford
    vs
    Cole, Rodon, Cortes, Schmidt, German, Brito

Jansen, Martin, Winckowski, Schreiber, Whitlock, Bernardino/Joely
    vs
    Homes, Kahnle, King, Peralta, Abreu and otehrs

The young Yankee call ups have injected some life into a team that previously looked like they were just going through the motions. They probably are wishing they had done it sooner.
    Old school is good school.

Interesting how you included callups for the sox and not the Yanks, lol. Yanks will improve and will spend this offseason, I guarantee you this. Red Sox, who knows?
    Hal sucks

You can also find a good hitting 1b pretty cheaply in season. They have his ready made replacement in Wells behind him anyway.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Interesting how you included callups for the sox and not the Yanks, lol. Yanks will improve and will spend this offseason, I guarantee you this. Red Sox, who knows?
    Some of your call-ups just happened during printing press time.

Sorry, if I missed any before hand.

Some of your call-ups just happened during printing press time.

Sorry, if I missed any before hand.
    The Yanks have the better prospects with the closest proximity. They won't all hit, but some will. Or they parlay those guys into someone of value. Who knows. But Wells, Pereira, Peraza, Volpe and Dominguez have been top 10 on their prospect list for awhile. Add them to Judge, Torres and Rizzo and one or two middle of the order bats on the trade or FA market and we should be able to return to some semblance of usefulness
    Hal sucks