Register now to remove this ad

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2023 Season Thread

The Yanks finally score some runs and have their ace on the hill, but the Rays still find a way to win.

These Rays will not go away.

(I once started a thread on that other site with this title. There was a poster there that kept saying the Rays would fade away in the "dog days of summer.")
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

The Yankees with the second highest payroll in baseball and yet are a last place team. In the meantime, the struggling Mets have the highest payroll in baseball and are led by a GM who worked under Cashman. The Yankees front office is rotten to the core. Time has passed Cashman by and the Yankees need a fresh perspective on things. Cashman has never been able to consistently evaluate pitchers and has a history of either overlooking injury issues (Montas, Rondon) or make-up (Gray). I think Boone is a pretty good manager and gets the most out of Cashman's idiotic moves, but the organization can't go forward with Cashman at the helm.

The garbage rookie SS that the Yankees trot out there every game, Volope, this is prospect that Cashman wouldn't trade last year? Volope sucks, he doesn't have the athleticism for SS (he belongs at 2b) and I'm not sure if he is ever going to hit. Cashman has this thing for prospects--he consistently overvalues the Yankees prospects, even a lousy one like Volope.

The Yankees will never get rid of Cashman but the Mets will surely dump Cashman's protegee in the offseason if the team doesn't improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    The Yankees with the second highest payroll in baseball and yet are a last place team. In the meantime, the struggling Mets have the highest payroll in baseball and are led by a GM who worked under Cashman. The Yankees front office is rotten to the core. Time has passed Cashman by and the Yankees need a fresh perspective on things. Cashman has never been able to consistently evaluate pitchers and has a history of either overlooking injury issues (Montas, Rondon) or make-up (Gray). I think Boone is a pretty good manager and gets the most out of Cashman's idiotic moves, but the organization can't go forward with Cashman at the helm.

The garbage rookie SS that the Yankees trot out there every game, Volope, this is prospect that Cashman wouldn't trade last year? Volope sucks, he doesn't have the athleticism for SS (he belongs at 2b) and I'm not sure if he is ever going to hit. Cashman has this thing for prospects--he consistently overvalues the Yankees prospects, even a lousy one like Volope.

The Yankees will never get rid of Cashman but the Mets will surely dump Cashman's protegee in the offseason if the team doesn't improve.
    As a Red Sox fan, I have always hoped you keep Cashman and Boone at the helm.

Cashman's other big fault is adding injury-prone everyday players, big hulky guys or dicks like Donaldson.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    As a Red Sox fan, I have always hoped you keep Cashman and Boone at the helm.

Cashman's other big fault is adding injury-prone everyday players, big hulky guys or dicks like Donaldson.
    I wouldn't disparage Volpe just yet as he adjusts to the big leagues... here are his power-speed numbers in two full seasons in the minors at four levels: 27 HRs-33 SBs in A; 21-50 in AA/AAA.

If Marcelo Mayer (who already has the D) posts stats like that by the time he's 22, he'd better be called up to Boston...

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I wouldn't disparage Volpe just yet as he adjusts to the big leagues... here are his power-speed numbers in two full seasons in the minors at four levels: 27 HRs-33 SBs in A; 21-50 in AA/AAA.

If Marcelo Mayer (who already has the D) posts stats like that by the time he's 22, he'd better be called up to Boston...
    That wasn't me.

Volpe has looked like a rookie quite often this season. But there's been a lot of improvement from when the season started until now, and he does have a 0.7 WAR currently (141st in MLB). Not great but not a liability either.

The last place Yankees play the last place A's. But hey at least the A's aren't spending like 300 million dollars.

Volope looks like the kind of player who would bat leadoff on a last place team. Oh that's right, that's exactly what Volope is doing.

The Red Sox fans got lucky last year when Judge had a season for the ages. That forced the Yankees to invest big bucks in Judge and he looks like the kind of player who will have injury problems going forward, just like Stanton.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 05-08-2023 at 06:20 PM.

At the quarter pole, Volpe is on pace for a 3WAR rookie season. That’s not bad
    Judge has not been the issue. 10 days on the IL and still swinging a good, just not legendary, bat.
    The problem with this Yankee squad again is offense and health. Stanton and Donaldson go down. Judge went down for 10 days. That pushed utility guys into starting roles they have no business being in. Cabrera getting off to a slow start hasn’t helped either and Hicks literally should be cut. He’s been the worst player in baseball not named Miguel Cabrera. It’s good Schmidt had a great game two days ago, but he went up against an awful team. Maybe he turns a corner, who knows. But this team desperately needs Rodon and Sevy back. That’ll push Brito back to AAA for more seasoning and Schmidt to a swing role he’s better at. That’ll move King out of a swing role and into potentially the closers role and the best pen in baseball would get better.

The Yanks problem this year is they’re in a division of world beaters. I don’t believe the Sox have staying power because they won’t be able to pitch well forever. The Jays and Rays do have staying power. The Os are tough. And the Yanks are not at 100% and won’t get there. This is why they may need to look at trading some of their expiring pieces (German, Sevy) if they start to fade
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The Yanks problem this year is they’re in a division of world beaters. I don’t believe the Sox have staying power because they won’t be able to pitch well forever. The Jays and Rays do have staying power. The Os are tough. And the Yanks are not at 100% and won’t get there. This is why they may need to look at trading some of their expiring pieces (German, Sevy) if they start to fade
    The Sox have been pitching well?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Maybe better but not "well."

Why he assumes they will all pitch the worst season of their careers is due to bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    That's not crazy, just a little unwell.

The problem with the Yankees is that their window is going to close relatively soon as Judge and Stanton get older. The Yankees have poured so much money into this team (the second highest payroll), they won't have a lot of financial flexibility going forward as they begin to fall behind better run teams in the AL East. The Yankees need to win now and are built to win now. In comparison, the Red Sox are building for the future and are in the process of creating a window that will yield multiple years of success, probably championships.

Volope has a terrible (but predictable) OPS+ of 77. And the Yankees are batting this loser in the leadoff spot. That is just unacceptable and speaks to the Yankees poor management. On a better team, Volope is in the minor leagues learning to play 2b and trying to develop a hit tool. Fortunately for the Red Sox, they don't have to worry about problems like this--the Red Sox have the best SS prospect in all of baseball and he could be ready to go as soon as next year.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 05-12-2023 at 11:57 AM.

Yankees cheating and winning against Jays.

Just messing around with that, but it is kind of funny to see Judge caught looking at the base coach for the sign, and then German getting tossed for sticky fingers, but the Yankees winning both games anyway. Jays must be pissed.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

German is just an idiot. This was the same umpire crew that warned him last time that he needed to wash off the excess rosin from his hands, so of course they would scrutinize him more. Not sure what it was on his hands but it left a brown stain on his uniform, so likely not rosin this time.

I'm I the only one who sees the German ejection as a possible bone thrown at the crowd who believe the league lets the Yanks get away with cheating?