Register now to remove this ad

Page 6 of 75 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Devers signs 11 year $331 million extension

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Keep in mind Devers' prime years. The Red Sox are basically paying for hopefully the best seasons of a star player's career: ages 27-32 (give or take).

Raffy may be kicking around as a first baseman or DH at the back end of his contract, but only through age 37. For fans worried about another "albatross" Pujols or Cabrera contract, here are 162-game averages of Albert and Miggy from ages 33-37: Pujols -- 31 HR, 109 RBI; Cabrera 25 HR, 89 RBI. Will you settle for something in between?
    Why do we think Devers will hit like Pujols and Cabrera from ages 33-37 when this two were light years ahead of him from ages 20-25?

And this isn’t slight on Devers. Pujols and Cabrera are hitters #1 and #2 in the 21st century, in whatever order you like…

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    8/10
    Try to be imperfectly curt, but never kickham when they're down... gagne with a spoon = always abad idea.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    No, it does not.

This is a 10 year $315 mil or so extension after the arb year.

Honestly, Raffy took a discount and he didn’t put an opt out in there. This is a good deal for the Sox as long as he stays healthy and fit
    Keeping fit is the biggest worry to me especially with his body type, which broke down the second half last year.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Why do we think Devers will hit like Pujols and Cabrera from ages 33-37 when this two were light years ahead of him from ages 20-25?

And this isn’t slight on Devers. Pujols and Cabrera are hitters #1 and #2 in the 21st century, in whatever order you like…
    ... and the go-to cautionary contracts for big-time batters whose contracts were too long.

My point is that Devers' contract isn't -- he won't be Old Man Bogey limping around San Diego infields (or wherever) into his 40s... at least, not on our dimes.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    I believe this is correct and it kicks in after last season. I got it twisted.
    Per MLBTR it's actually a 10 year/313.5 million extension

2022 AAV stays at 17.5 mill
    2023-2032 AAV 31.35 mill
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Per MLBTR it's actually a 10 year/313.5 million extension

2022 AAV stays at 17.5 mill
    2023-2032 AAV 31.35 mill
    That's about what I expected, last winter, so to me, this is great news- maybe $2-4M more than a year ago.

It could have been $30.1M x 11, but I'm not sure that $1M for 10 years matters much.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Porcello had a pretty big deal at one point didn’t he?
    Thanks...

$331M/11 Devers (Extension)
    $217M/7 Price
    $160M/8 Manny
    $154M/7 AGon (Extension)
    $145M/5 Sale (Extension)
    $142M/7 Crawford
    $120M/6 Bogey (Extension- opted out after 3 yrs)
    $110M/5 JD
    $110M/8 Pedroia (Extension)
    $95M/5 Sandoval
    $90M/5 Yoshida (plus posting fee)
    $88M/5 HRam
    $83M/4 Porcello
    $83M/5 Lackey
    $73M/7 R Castillo
    $70M/5 JD Drew

($103M/6 Dice K counting posting fee)
    ($63M+ Yoan Moncada bonus + tax)

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Doh View Post
    Way too much money and way too many years for a 0.283 hitter with an OBP of 0.342.
    Terrible signing.
    Similar numbers to Adrian Beltre, except the Devers has a higher SLG and his career numbers are still skewed by his age 20 and 21 seasons.

Since 2019:
    291 AVG
    351 OBP
    533 SLG
    884 OPS
    132 wRC+

Higher OPS than Boggs, Brett, Santo, Molitor, Rolen...
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    This signing is going to ruin the long narrative of so many posters.

It may take days for them to regroup and find some fresh pathways.
    The narrative was John Henry hadn't paid homegrown players. Aside from Pedroia, he really hadn't. That has finally changed. They still messed up with Betts. They still messed up by not extending Xander last offseason as the money would have been a deep discount from what the guys signed for this offseason.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    As I said earlier this offseason, and many times over the years. What the Sox FO has done in recent years is not the best predictor of the future. I often use the Lester to Price signings as examples. My point was, to not be surprised if the Sox opened up the wallet after they failed with Bogey.

It’s like the offense has ran the ball 3x in a row; I was never sold that a 4th time was coming.
    They seem to get too cute and it hasn't quite worked in their favor. It probably cost them in this case. At least they got the deal done. As we've always said, they are a big market team and they can afford it.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    The narrative was John Henry hadn't paid homegrown players. Aside from Pedroia, he really hadn't. That has finally changed. They still messed up with Betts. They still messed up by not extending Xander last offseason as the money would have been a deep discount from what the guys signed for this offseason.
    I'm not so sure the thinking all along was they were never going to pay Devers and Bogey for 6+ years, each.

This signing, to me, makes the Bogey bolt more understandable. They would have taken XB on a shorter, more team friendly deal, but never as large and or long as BorA$$ was looking for, and rightfully so.

I wish we had kept Betts, XB and Devers and not Sale & Nate, but I'm not sure JH would ever have agreed to 3 mega large and long deals, at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not so sure the thinking all along was they were never going to pay Devers and Bogey for 6+ years, each.

This signing, to me, makes the Bogey bolt more understandable. They would have taken XB on a shorter, more team friendly deal, but never as large and or long as BorA$$ was looking for, and rightfully so.

I wish we had kept Betts, XB and Devers and not Sale & Nate, but I'm not sure JH would ever have agreed to 3 mega large and long deals, at the same time.
    Xander was apparently willing to do a deal similar to Story's last offseason. If that's true, they were dumb to not sign him then.
    I get MV Pee.

The narrative was John Henry hadn't paid homegrown players.
    The narrative went way beyond that, and calls for JH to go were starting.

The fact is, he has always cycled spending and resets. True, they seem to be way more open to extending players they traded for (AGon, Sale, Porcello & Nate) than their own players (Pedey & Bogey,) but there was a building narrative that JH had gone cheap and that the talk of trying to stay competitive through the rebuild was all a lie.

Xander was apparently willing to do a deal similar to Story's last offseason. If that's true, they were dumb to not sign him then.
    No doubt. I'd have done that. My highest suggested offer was not far from anyone else's. Hell, even Red suggested $168M/6. If Bogey would have taken that is anybody's guess. If the answer is no, then a lot of the talk, here is moot. If it's yes, then time will tell on the "mistake" aspect of that choice. (Now, I'd guess XB will easily earne $170M/6, but $280M/11...?)

$160M/6 or even $170M/6 looks like a bargain, now, but I'm not sure the Sox would sign him to that, even now, given the massive Devers contract and Story still on the books.

Deity
    Signing Raffy was good, but it doesn’t take away from the botched, and bungling exhibited by both Bloom, and JH, and yes in other words dumb, and dumber.