Register now to remove this ad

Page 126 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126
Results 1,876 to 1,887 of 1887

Thread: 2023 Prospects

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    But it does happen. Some guys are super wild, and barely throw strikes, but when they do, it's picture perfect. Go watch a couple of the few good starts Victor Zambrano had in 2004, and you'll see exactly what I mean. Dude's all over the place in the same AB, but the strikes he does throw are usually in the corners, and low in the strike zone, as if he was painting. Pure insanity.
    WAR is good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    This is what I don't get. How can you have command without having control?
    Let's say the catcher puts his mitt right on the edge of the K zone, but close enough that the ump will call a strike 99% of the time, if you hit the mitt every time.

Pitcher A misses the mitt by 1/2 inch, but to the K zone side. Pitcher B misses the mitt by 1/2 inch, but to the out of zone size.

In theory, Pitcher A has great control and good to great command.
    Pitcher B has horrible control but good to great command, as he misses the mitt by the same amount as pitcher A.

Is this correct?

It just seems off to me, for some reason, although I get the definitions applied by people who analyze pitchers.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Let's say the catcher puts his mitt right on the edge of the K zone, but close enough that the ump will call a strike 99% of the time, if you hit the mitt every time.

Pitcher A misses the mitt by 1/2 inch, but to the K zone side. Pitcher B misses the mitt by 1/2 inch, but to the out of zone size.

In theory, Pitcher A has great control and good to great command.
    Pitcher B has horrible control but good to great command, as he misses the mitt by the same amount as pitcher A.

Is this correct?

It just seems off to me, for some reason, although I get the definitions applied by people who analyze pitchers.
    Can't quantify it on a single pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I don’t get that either.

I can see having control but no command, but not the other way around…
    I guess if you come very close to the target set by your catcher, but always to the non K-zone side. You have "command," because you just barely miss the target, but poor control, because it's often outside the K zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    Can't quantify it on a single pitch.
    I'm saying what if this happens 90% of the time?

Catchers rarely set the target right down the middle.

Player A throws 65% of his pitches in the strike zone, but about half of those end up in the wheelhouse area of the zone. That player has good control, but not good command.
    Player B throws 65% of his pitches in the strike zone, but about 15% of those end up in the wheelhouse area of the zone. That player has good command and control.
    Player C throws 48% of his pitches in the strike zone, but about 15% of those end up in the wheelhouse area of the zone. That player has good command but not good control.

This oversimplifies things, as a lot of pitches are thrown out of the zone on purpose, but you get the gist of it.

Player A throws 65% of his pitches in the strike zone, but about half of those end up in the wheelhouse area of the zone. That player has good control, but not good command.
    Player B throws 65% of his pitches in the strike zone, but about 15% of those end up in the wheelhouse area of the zone. That player has good command and control.
    Player C throws 48% of his pitches in the strike zone, but about 15% of those end up in the wheelhouse area of the zone. That player has good command but not good control.

This oversimplifies things, as a lot of pitches are thrown out of the zone on purpose, but you get the gist of it.
    Not bad -- Player C is harder to hit, but not as reliable than A or B?

Here's a chart from a new MLB.com article about Monty... not sure their formula (but it does show that Burnes is still a good option):

Pitchers with highest in-zone run value in 2023
    Regular and postseason combined

Gerrit Cole: +65 runs prevented
    Blake Snell: +56 runs prevented
    Sonny Gray: +53 runs prevented
    Zac Gallen: +49 runs prevented
    Kodai Senga: +49 runs prevented
    Kyle Bradish: +48 runs prevented
    Cristian Javier: +46 runs prevented
    Corbin Burnes: +45 runs prevented
    Zack Wheeler: +44 runs prevented
    Jordan Montgomery: +43 runs prevented

We understand the set definitions of the terms used.

I'm just saying, it goes against intuition to look at my examples of picther A & B and say the guy who misses the mitt by a wide margin, almost every time has "better control" than I guy who misses the mitt by 1/2 inch almost every time, but always to the non K-zone side has "poor control."

The word control has long-standing connotations to it from other uses of the word.

I'm fine with using two terms to distinguish between two different areas of pitcher analyzation, but it just seems counterintuitive to me to say pitcher A had better control than pitcher B, because more of his way off the mitt pitches end up being stikes.

I'm not trying to start an argument or lobby for a change in terms, but it's hard for me to think a guy who misses the mitt by as much as "A" does to say he has great control.

Command is a myth. It's just whether a pitcher is clutch or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Aces.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Post of the week.

I’m thinking following the farm might be more interesting, fun and satisfying than the big club.