Register now to remove this ad

Page 12 of 126 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Prospects

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Has he ever ranked the Sox more highly than the others?
    Since Theo/Cherington left? No - but it was also when the system was drained by graduations and such. He put Devers in his Top 100 at ESPN based on what he did in the complex league.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    18 is also not very high and probably outside where you'd expect likely major leaguers anyway. I reckon there is not much separation between 18 and 40 aside from some positional preference and where ceiling vs floor is in your values system.
    Law had him 16th- not far from SP.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Fernandez rose due to health?
    I was wondering why, too.

I want to know why would Uberstine drop, when 4-5 guys left the list above him?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Maybe he over-values pitching prospects and under-values position prospects vs. other evaluators.
    This is a good point, and would explain a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

SP has Jimenez at 39, he actually rose from 44 recently but that's probably mostly due to people above him being traded or graduating. I think the fluidity between 40 and 60 is a lot larger than 20 and 40. Jimenez is about 1/2 a season away from not even being ranked, unless he really takes a step forward this year.
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

SP has Jimenez at 39, he actually rose from 44 recently but that's probably mostly due to people above him being traded or graduating. I think the fluidity between 40 and 60 is a lot larger than 20 and 40. Jimenez is about 1/2 a season away from not even being ranked, unless he really takes a step forward this year.
    He was #18, last spring on SP.

They had him 9th on NOV 2021.

I listened to the SP podcast. http://news.soxprospects.com/2023/02...alk-about.html

They spoke of how the farm people are basically the same people as under DD. They spoke of Bloom's trades and felt like we should not have expected great returns on guys like Moreland, Vaz and other, and that the Betts trade was severely hampered by including Price. (Downs missing "hurts a lot.") The Beni trade was more about quantity than quality- called in "underwhelming." They seem to feel Bloom has done okay with trades, overall.

On Ryan Fernandez moving up: they reacted to feedback they heard on Rule 5 possibilities.

On RHern dropping- passing through waivers showed he has very little ML value.

They spoke of Goodrum is needed for middle IF depth. Hamilton is not ready. They wondered if Mondesi is only going to miss a few games, maybe they roll with Hamilton or have Wong get reps at 2B. Valdez will get a lot of playing time in ST, but he needs to earn a slot.

They say if Mondesi is ready maybe Tapia or Greg Allen will be added to the 40.

Dalbec makes no sense on the 26 with healthy Casas and Turner, and no real need for RH'd PH.

They wondered about how much the WBC will affect ST'ing and minor league slots. Many of our players are playing in it. Many players will join ST halfway through.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    More proof that a great name alone isn't enough.
    Maybe he needs to go to Hollywood, where it is enough…

I listened to the SP podcast. http://news.soxprospects.com/2023/02...alk-about.html

They spoke of how the farm people are basically the same people as under DD.

On Ryan Fernandez moving up: they reacted to feedback they heard on Rule 5 possibilities.
    Parsing out who are Bloom's guys and who are DD's guys doesn't make sense as the vast majority of the players aren't scouted by the CBO prior to entering the system. It's really the BOS system that we can track: the moves that were made and the players that eventually made it to BOS that matter.

Part of the Fernandez ranking, I believe, was that they were told there's a chance that he could impact this year's BOS bullpen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Parsing out who are Bloom's guys and who are DD's guys doesn't make sense as the vast majority of the players aren't scouted by the CBO prior to entering the system. It's really the BOS system that we can track: the moves that were made and the players that eventually made it to BOS that matter.

Part of the Fernandez ranking, I believe, was that they were told there's a chance that he could impact this year's BOS bullpen.
    Yup. On Hernandez, they spoke of how they learned more about him when talking Rule chances.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 02-13-2023 at 02:37 PM.

Write up on prospects #56-60 on soxprospects.com:

http://news.soxprospects.com/2023/02...ing-60-56.html

Zeferjahn has the tools to be a really solid MLB relief arm, but just has never put it together. Had more hopes for him in '22.
    I get MV Pee.

Zeferjahn has the tools to be a really solid MLB relief arm, but just has never put it together. Had more hopes for him in '22.
    Probably the catcher is the only one in this group with a chance to see the bigs.

Probably the catcher is the only one in this group with a chance to see the bigs.
    Mediocre relievers all have the better shot of making the bigs for a cup.
    I get MV Pee.

Mediocre relievers all have the better shot of making the bigs for a cup.
    True, but I think McElveny has more upside.