Register now to remove this ad

Page 75 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1280

Thread: Red Sox Sign Masataka Yoshida

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Once it was established that Yoshida is a pricey DH, then his comps become David Ortiz and J. D. Martinez. That's part of what I've been saying.
    The comps can't be Ortiz since salaries in baseball have substantially increases since 2016. It was 2006, when Ortiz was Masa's age.

JD is a fair comp as any other current player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    The comps can't be Ortiz since salaries in baseball have substantially increases since 2016. It was 2006, when Ortiz was Masa's age.

JD is a fair comp as any other current player.
    Agreed.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I don't disagree, but your focus seems more on Yoshida's shortcomings. It just seems extreme, to me.
    I don’t really think he’s 5’8”. I think it’s the high pants he tugs up like waders.

Legend
    moon, his fWAR now stands at 0.4. Maybe your argument should be with FanGraphs, not me.
    Kyle Schwarber is back to having a higher OBP than Yoshida despite batting .197. I love baseball.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Lots of walks. No one wants to throw him a pitch he can pull.
    WAR is good for something.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Kyle Schwarber is back to having a higher OBP than Yoshida despite batting .197. I love baseball.
    If it's in response to this post, don't you think I'd be talking about Schwarber?
    WAR is good for something.

To think that Senga signed for less money when we so badly needed starting pitching.

To think that Bloom instead focused so much effort and money on a DH.

It just confirms that his judgment was terrible.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    To think that Senga signed for less money when we so badly needed starting pitching.

And the word was at the time of the signing when Boris shut the bidding down so quick he overpaid dong it.

Focusing on Duvall/Turner/Masa when they needed starting pitching was an obviously bad choice. I think we all agreed on that at the time. It made no sense to wait out the market the way he did.
    I get MV Pee.

And the word was at the time of the signing when Boris shut the bidding down so quick he overpaid dong it.
    If they do that for a player like Yamamoto, will it matter? As long as they're bringing in the right players, I don't see the problem in it.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    If they do that for a player like Yamamoto, will it matter? As long as they're bringing in the right players, I don't see the problem in it.
    Yamamoto is for a lot bigger need, and worth the money, and risk. Like I said yesterday going into last offseason the Red Sox needed another OF, and a bat. A year later the Red Sox have OF depth, and Yoshida is just clogging up things when the money would be better spent on pitching.

Focusing on Duvall/Turner/Masa when they needed starting pitching was an obviously bad choice. I think we all agreed on that at the time. It made no sense to wait out the market the way he did.
    I think this statement is something a large percentage of posters would all agree on.

Me neither. We are at a moment very similar to when we did not get Scherzer, then realized our mistake and went for Price.

It was a time it needed to be done. That time is now. (Actually, it was years ago, too.)

Roll the dice. Roll them 2-3 times.

Yamamoto is for a lot bigger need, and worth the money, and risk. Like I said yesterday going into last offseason the Red Sox needed another OF, and a bat. A year later the Red Sox have OF depth, and Yoshida is just clogging up things when the money would be better spent on pitching.
    There's a difference between the "it's a bad contract" and the commentary about Boras stopping the bidding and whatever. I give them credit for focusing on the guy they really liked and just giving him the money. They were hard pressed to do that for others. They just may have chose the wrong person to do that for. He needs another season before he's written off though. Also, Rafaela, Duran and Abreu are still largely unknowns and can still fall flat in 2024. The depth may be a mirage.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Me neither. We are at a moment very similar to when we did not get Scherzer, then realized our mistake and went for Price.

It was a time it needed to be done. That time is now. (Actually, it was years ago, too.)

Roll the dice. Roll them 2-3 times.
    The Scherzer contracts with Washington was labeled a massive overpay at the time. I doubt anyone in the Boston organization viewed not typing the Washington or as a mistake. And if they did and that is why they went crazy for Price, they learned the wrong lesson…
    Last edited by notin; 09-29-2023 at 08:02 AM.