Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 86 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox Sign Masataka Yoshida

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Wow $100M for someone who doesn’t strike out in Japan baseball, which is on a level of a little better than AAA ball here in the states.
    Maybe it translates, maybe it doesn't. There's a risk with every FA signing.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Yup, a hundred million dollars for a guy who's never played a day in the majors. Like Bloom says, the deal has to make sense for the ballclub.
    If he had played in MLB, it's probably 200M if you look at what has been handed out this offseason. Seems like the "value play" that Bloom talks about.
    I get MV Pee.

Wow $100M for someone who doesn’t strike out in Japan baseball, which is on a level of a little better than AAA ball here in the states.
    I really hope we can call you out on this, later.

It is a real gamble, no doubt. I share your concern about him not really being ML tested or proven. There are dozens of examples of players from that league do poorly and dozens that do well.

I will say, look at the list of the highest paid MLB FA signings over the years: what is the success rate on them vs Japanese players? It might be very close.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I really hope we can call you out on this, later.

It is a real gamble, no doubt. I share your concern about him not really being ML tested or proven. There are dozens of examples of players from that league do poorly and dozens that do well.

I will say, look at the list of the highest paid MLB FA signings over the years: what is the success rate on them vs Japanese players? It might be very close.
    Suzuki's contract has been fine so far. Kim (Korean, not Japanese) struggled adjusting in 2021, but more than made up for it last season. Those two guys are the most recent offensive talents to cross the Pacific.
    I get MV Pee.

So what position is he going to play? LF or RF?

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    So what position is he going to play? LF or RF?
    I'm guessing Dugo is better in RF. Maybe we trade Dugo or make him the DH/4th OF'er and try and acquire a RF'er (Gallo/Conforto or by trade?)

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Suzuki's contract has been fine so far. Kim (Korean, not Japanese) struggled adjusting in 2021, but more than made up for it last season. Those two guys are the most recent offensive talents to cross the Pacific.
    There is a chance he ends up hitting better than Bogey over the 5 year deal, and he's only 33-34 years old in his final season.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by vjcsmoke View Post
    Signing Yoshida looks like a move in the right direction to fix one of the worst hitting outfields in baseball. He was one of the top bats in the JP leagues. Hopefully this works out!
    The tricky part is the power. For the most part, the NPB power numbers have not translated going across the pond. (basically it's Ohtani, Matsui and that's it) It's a LF/DH player without plus speed - so really all of this lies in his ability to hit for power. It's a real gamble.

I'm guessing Dugo is better in RF. Maybe we trade Dugo or make him the DH/4th OF'er and try and acquire a RF'er (Gallo/Conforto or by trade?)
    I would trade him for sure.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    The tricky part is the power. For the most part, the NPB power numbers have not translated going across the pond. (basically it's Ohtani, Matsui and that's it) It's a LF/DH player without plus speed - so really all of this lies in his ability to hit for power. It's a real gamble.
    He's not a true power guy, he's a classic on base guy who has won a few batting titles. If it translates to doubles here, that's fine. He supposedly goes the opposite way well, which should work well at Fenway.
    I get MV Pee.

There is a chance he ends up hitting better than Bogey over the 5 year deal, and he's only 33-34 years old in his final season.
    If Henry doesn't want to pay guys after age 35, he needs to extend then prior to hitting arbitration.
    I get MV Pee.

I would trade him for sure.
    His value is not that good or better in RF or DH, so yes.

If Henry doesn't want to pay guys after age 35, he needs to extend then prior to hitting arbitration.
    Exactly. He's already waited too long on Devers, especially with him now seeing what others are making this winter.

His value is not that good or better in RF or DH, so yes.
    There has been noise about the Sox not being happy with Verdugo since last offseason. I think he's a goner.
    I get MV Pee.

There has been noise about the Sox not being happy with Verdugo since last offseason. I think he's a goner.
    After his first season here, I expected further improvement. It never happened.

This summer, I spoke about us having too many left fielders, then we added Pham. Now, we replaced Pham with Yoshida.

Dugo in RF makes a mockery of the idea we needed JBJ for RF.

The Astros want a LF'er.

If we take back A Garcia as part of a Marlins trade for a SP'er, maybe they'd want him.

I'm sure there are other options. He does have plus value.