Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox Sign Masataka Yoshida

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I think we'd all do that in a heartbeat.
    Makes me with your “we” included the Astros GM…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Yoshida is an excellent signing. Now we need the Japanese starting pitcher. A left handed reliever and a short stop.
    We have 3 left-handed relievers…

Signing Yoshida looks like a move in the right direction to fix one of the worst hitting outfields in baseball. He was one of the top bats in the JP leagues. Hopefully this works out!

Deity
    The Red Sox are spending more money on this unproven Major League player than the Phillies are on Schwarber a proven Major League power hitter. Who got the better deal DD, or Bloom? Does anyone remember Rudsney?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    The Red Sox are spending more money on this unproven Major League player than the Phillies are on Schwarber a proven Major League power hitter. Who got the better deal DD, or Bloom? Does anyone remember Rudsney?
    It's a gamble, but this guy has big upside.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    It's a gamble, but this guy has big upside.
    I think it’s a bigger gamble than it is a upside, and like I said yesterday Suzuki didn’t set the league on fire last year by any means.

I think it’s a bigger gamble than it is a upside, and like I said yesterday Suzuki didn’t set the league on fire last year by any means.
    You're not much of an optimist though.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    And I should be with this signing?

He didn't set the world on fire, but in 111 games he would have been the Sox best OFer last season by a country mile.

Yoshida will be a big time upgrade for this team.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    He didn't set the world on fire, but in 111 games he would have been the Sox best OFer last season by a country mile.

Yoshida will be a big time upgrade for this team.
    Lots of hype, and wishful thinking for someone coming from Japan, and all of the low low price of $100M. Being a upgrade of JBJ’s bat, and Duran is not saying much. More production would have probably come from Renfroe than this guy, and lots cheaper too, which the Red Sox could have spent the money saved on much needed starting pitching.

Lots of hype, and wishful thinking for someone coming from Japan, and all of the low low price of $100M. Being a upgrade of JBJ’s bat, and Duran is not saying much. More production would have probably come from Renfroe than this guy, and lots cheaper too, which the Red Sox could have spent the money saved on much needed starting pitching.
    Yes, they should have kept Renfroe. An OF or Yoshida, Kiké, Renfroe looks pretty good to me.
    I get MV Pee.

Yoshida doesn't strike out -- hype has nothing to do with that kind of hand-eye coordination or batting approach. We've seen enough of all-or-nothing swingers trudge back to the dugout, dragging their bats, rallies and won-loss records behind them.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Yoshida doesn't strike out -- hype has nothing to do with that kind of hand-eye coordination or batting approach. We've seen enough of all-or-nothing swingers trudge back to the dugout, dragging their bats, rallies and won-loss records behind them.
    Wow $100M for someone who doesn’t strike out in Japan baseball, which is on a level of a little better than AAA ball here in the states.

When you look at what some of these top line FAs are getting, the Yoshida and Jansen signings are looking better and better.

Yes, Diaz is better than Jansen, but WOW on the money differential. We got a solid and consistent closer, yet some (not Red) are complaining.

Yes, Bogey and others are more solid signings than Yoshida but what a massive pay difference.

The fact is, we still have at least 2 slots to fill and about $40M left to spend. Had we gone for Bogey or Diaz, we'd have very little left to spend on key areas of need.

The winter report card is still very incomplete, but I'm fine with what we ave done, so far.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Wow $100M for someone who doesn’t strike out in Japan baseball, which is on a level of a little better than AAA ball here in the states.
    Yup, a hundred million dollars for a guy who's never played a day in the majors. Like Bloom says, the deal has to make sense for the ballclub.