Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Yankees off-season thread

2023 Yankees off-season thread

So much to unravel. Last night was a microcosm of the back half of the year. 2 games under .500 the final 78 games of the year. Twice shooting ourselves in the foot vs Cleveland yet overcoming on talent alone. Fucking up in 2 games of the sweep and getting outclassed the other 2. Once again, key players either shrank during crunch time or were too hurt to participate. Now our best player heads towards FA at an age and size that makes a long term deal dicey. Precarious position to be in for sure.

The beginning of the off-season has to come with a leadership change. Hal needs to tap into his inner George lest he gets left behind in his own city. If he can’t run the franchise like the Yankees should be run, he should walk away. The Yanks should never give a shit about salary caps and dumpster dives. They’re the fucking Yankees. If you don’t want to spend prospect capital then spend actual capital to improve the team til the kids are ready. But this half ass shit is getting us nowhere.

Brian Cashman has been good at handling the management edict, but his time has run it’s course. These savvy under the radar moves almost always blow up in our faces because it takes either growing up in the system or having already had the experience of being a prime time player to succeed here. His signature off-season move was to get JD and IKF and both were corpses by the time the POs roll around. The Bader trade bore fruit as he turned into a monster in the POs and we dealt from our starting pitching depth. We dealt for a cubs reliever who hadn’t tasted anything of competitive baseball as a big leaguer and he blows out his elbow. The kid we dealt was nails the final month of the year. We deal for Beni and he breaks his wrist once he starts to get going. We deal for an injured Montas and are surprised he stayed injured? And what is the infatuation wi the A’s? Every time we get one of their star pitchers, they turn into puppy poo. We passed on Soto, and with the haul Washington got and how he played in SD, that’s not a mission critical misstep. Not getting Castillo hurts, but the cost AND the fact that our pitching was good already, is not too bad of a thing. But beyond an injured Bader and Beni, we didn’t add anyone of impact who swings a bat and this includes last off-season when the Yanks craved offense. Time to rework things here and stop slapping lipstick on a pig. Escalate your internal budget, fire Boone, and see what Cash can do when he can outspend the entire league. Otherwise, get rid of Cash and bring in someone who’s got experience building a title winner on a budget
    Hal sucks

Good summary, jacko.

Boone has to go, ASAP.

I've thought Cashman should be fired for at least 2-3 years, so nothing changes there.

The offseason starts with Judge, and who knows what will be left on the winter spending budget after him.

You need to trade a top prospect for a solid pitcher.

You need to build up the pen, again.

You need to get away from all or nothing batters.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

After watching another PO where the MVP cannot hit, I am proposing some changes that could be rather controversial...

Catcher- Trevino and Higashioka- No need to make changes. Trevino sucked late offensively, Higgy sucked all season offensively. They were a dynamite duo defensively and managed a pitching staff that was in flux incredibly well. They were a bright spot that should be easily retained on an arb 1 and arb 2 contract

First Base- Anthony Rizzo- He has a $16 mil option for 2023 that he is probably going to decline. If I was the Yankees GM, I would offer a QO that is priced around $19 mil. That would be hard for him to turn down as I do not think he sees the AAV that high on another contract and it isnt like he tore the cover off the ball the second half. But he brings good D, leadership, and clutch hitting to a team that is sorely lacking. If he walks from that, then I do not offer him a longer deal and make some adjustments, but for this argument, he is on the team.

Second Base- Trea Turner- 8 yr $245 mil contract- 29 yr old MIF coming off 2 consecutive 6 WAR seasons. His offense trailed a little from the year prior, but he is nails defensively. He would immediately jump into the leadoff position and create havoc on the bases. I think his speed is starting to slow a little bit which limits his upper side earnings, so I do not think he reaches Seager territory. But he would be a wrecking ball for this lineup.

Shortstop- Carlos Correa- 10 years $325 mil contract- 28 yr old superstar SS who ended the year on fire and has a history of being a clutch performer in the playoffs. He would add stability to the middle infield that sorely needs it. He and Turner would turn the SS-2B defense into the best in baseball

Third Base- Gleyber Torres- He will be going into his final 2 years in the Bronx. His bat has been off and on, but his middle infield defense has been awful. Time to move him to third and see if that can help. If not, we can roll with Donaldson as the 8 hitter and hope for one last gasp from his corpse before he retires and then look to the deadline to upgrade.

Left Field- Michael Conforto- 1 yr $12 mil with a player option for the second. He will have to prove he is healthy, but what better place for a lefty to get a pillow contract. He gets the second year if he sucks, but can jump back onto the market at the top of his game

Center Field- Harrison Bader- defensive whiz when giants arent running in front of him, Bader hit just as many HRs in the POs as he did all season. He is from the Bronx, he can hit enough, can run and can play good D. He is also entering a contract year and I like players like that

Right Field- Mitch Haniger- 1 yr $8 mil. He is defensively limited but playing RF in the Bronx isnt that difficult. Add in his power and what should be a lower cost to defray all the upgrades and he could be a guy we bring in a la Renfroe, who rejuvenates his career and goes to greener pastures

Designated Hitter- I try all avenues to dump Stanton, but understand there will be almost no way. He was a world beater until July then fell apart physically and mentally. He needs to bounce back and be a useful hitter for the Yanks to have a chance.

Lineup-
    1. Turner 2B
    2. Correa SS
    3. Rizzo 1B
    4. Stanton DH
    5. Conforto LF
    6. Haniger RF
    7. Torres 3B
    8. Bader CF
    9. Trevino C

Maybe we go Nimmo instead of Haniger and shell out another $20 mil contract, who knows. But the offense needs a financial jolt and I think we would be better served spreading around the cost than using it all on one guy who disappears in the POs
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Good summary, jacko.

Boone has to go, ASAP.

I've thought Cashman should be fired for at least 2-3 years, so nothing changes there.

The offseason starts with Judge, and who knows what will be left on the winter spending budget after him.

You need to trade a top prospect for a solid pitcher.

You need to build up the pen, again.

You need to get away from all or nothing batters.
    We are setup well with our rotation and have a depth guy behind them who deserves a shot. I actually think the Yanks should move on from Judge, the more I think about it. He becomes an all or nothing hitter when we get to the POs and that isnt worth it, IMO
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    We are setup well with our rotation and have a depth guy behind them who deserves a shot. I actually think the Yanks should move on from Judge, the more I think about it. He becomes an all or nothing hitter when we get to the POs and that isnt worth it, IMO
    Judge will kill your budget for 7+ years. Until and unless your budget grows, and I see no evidence it has been or will significantly, you are probably right.

That is one reason I hope the bidding gets very high and you guys overpay him.

GREAT NEWS for Red Sox Fans: Boone is Returning!

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/...r-in-2023.html

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Boone returning certainly means Cashman, too.

I'm not trolling, but I think the Yankees need to keep Judge. MLB teams need to have franchise players. The "rooting for laundry" stuff has to go away. There need to be players that just stay put. How gross would it have been to see Bernie, Jeter or Mariano wear a different uni even for a season? Judge just seems like a guy you can build around. That's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I'm not trolling, but I think the Yankees need to keep Judge. MLB teams need to have franchise players. The "rooting for laundry" stuff has to go away. There need to be players that just stay put. How gross would it have been to see Bernie, Jeter or Mariano wear a different uni even for a season? Judge just seems like a guy you can build around. That's just me.
    I don't disagree, but if the Yanks keep a tight budget, like they have for a few years, now, at what cost does Judge become a determent to the rest of the roster?

The Yanks do not have a bad farm system, so they should be able to handle one bloated contract, but if Cole starts dropping off and DJ and Stanton do, too, his big contract will prevent paying for some FA plug-ins where and when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I don't disagree, but if the Yanks keep a tight budget, like they have for a few years, now, at what cost does Judge become a determent to the rest of the roster?

The Yanks do not have a bad farm system, so they should be able to handle one bloated contract, but if Cole starts dropping off and DJ and Stanton do, too, his big contract will prevent paying for some FA plug-ins where and when needed.

Why do the YANKEES have to keep a tight budget? In what world does that make sense?

Yankees were 3rd in attendance this year. I'm sure they make bank with YES. Why are they counting change in their cushions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Look at the bright side. You can still be happy when they fire him…

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Why do the YANKEES have to keep a tight budget? In what world does that make sense?

Yankees were 3rd in attendance this year. I'm sure they make bank with YES. Why are they counting change in their cushions?
    I'm not defending the Yanks not spending like the Dodgers, but they have not for a long time, now.

Deity
    After watching another PO where the MVP cannot hit, I am proposing some changes that could be rather controversial...

Catcher- Trevino and Higashioka- No need to make changes. Trevino sucked late offensively, Higgy sucked all season offensively. They were a dynamite duo defensively and managed a pitching staff that was in flux incredibly well. They were a bright spot that should be easily retained on an arb 1 and arb 2 contract

First Base- Anthony Rizzo- He has a $16 mil option for 2023 that he is probably going to decline. If I was the Yankees GM, I would offer a QO that is priced around $19 mil. That would be hard for him to turn down as I do not think he sees the AAV that high on another contract and it isnt like he tore the cover off the ball the second half. But he brings good D, leadership, and clutch hitting to a team that is sorely lacking. If he walks from that, then I do not offer him a longer deal and make some adjustments, but for this argument, he is on the team.

Second Base- Trea Turner- 8 yr $245 mil contract- 29 yr old MIF coming off 2 consecutive 6 WAR seasons. His offense trailed a little from the year prior, but he is nails defensively. He would immediately jump into the leadoff position and create havoc on the bases. I think his speed is starting to slow a little bit which limits his upper side earnings, so I do not think he reaches Seager territory. But he would be a wrecking ball for this lineup.

Shortstop- Carlos Correa- 10 years $325 mil contract- 28 yr old superstar SS who ended the year on fire and has a history of being a clutch performer in the playoffs. He would add stability to the middle infield that sorely needs it. He and Turner would turn the SS-2B defense into the best in baseball

Third Base- Gleyber Torres- He will be going into his final 2 years in the Bronx. His bat has been off and on, but his middle infield defense has been awful. Time to move him to third and see if that can help. If not, we can roll with Donaldson as the 8 hitter and hope for one last gasp from his corpse before he retires and then look to the deadline to upgrade.

Left Field- Michael Conforto- 1 yr $12 mil with a player option for the second. He will have to prove he is healthy, but what better place for a lefty to get a pillow contract. He gets the second year if he sucks, but can jump back onto the market at the top of his game

Center Field- Harrison Bader- defensive whiz when giants arent running in front of him, Bader hit just as many HRs in the POs as he did all season. He is from the Bronx, he can hit enough, can run and can play good D. He is also entering a contract year and I like players like that

Right Field- Mitch Haniger- 1 yr $8 mil. He is defensively limited but playing RF in the Bronx isnt that difficult. Add in his power and what should be a lower cost to defray all the upgrades and he could be a guy we bring in a la Renfroe, who rejuvenates his career and goes to greener pastures

Designated Hitter- I try all avenues to dump Stanton, but understand there will be almost no way. He was a world beater until July then fell apart physically and mentally. He needs to bounce back and be a useful hitter for the Yanks to have a chance.

Lineup-
    1. Turner 2B
    2. Correa SS
    3. Rizzo 1B
    4. Stanton DH
    5. Conforto LF
    6. Haniger RF
    7. Torres 3B
    8. Bader CF
    9. Trevino C

Maybe we go Nimmo instead of Haniger and shell out another $20 mil contract, who knows. But the offense needs a financial jolt and I think we would be better served spreading around the cost than using it all on one guy who disappears in the POs
    I don’t see the Yankees commuting $570mill to two shortstops, and blocking their top two prospects, while also counting on two of-injured corner outfielders with minimal playing time over the past two seasons…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I don’t see the Yankees commuting $570mill to two shortstops, and blocking their top two prospects, while also counting on two of-injured corner outfielders with minimal playing time over the past two seasons…
    Plus $15M for DJ to be the utility guy.