Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2022 playoff thread

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    It is decimated . But you still have to work with what you have. You need structure. You need a plan . Who is going to close ? Who has the 8th ? The seventh ? When should they warm up and get ready. Who are they likely to face ? What is the plan ? If Holmes is the closer , he should have pitched the 9th. If he can 't go , Loaisga is probably the best option. Boone was bewildered. And I hate to say it because I like the guy , but so was Dave Roberts. His lack of a plan and structure was very apparent in the Dodger meltdown.
    The Dodgers pen was also somewhat decimated. What do you think Roberts did wrong, exactly?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Going to Taillon in the 10th was stupid and then held off on using Holmes when he says he was totally ready to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The Dodgers pen was also somewhat decimated. What do you think Roberts did wrong, exactly?
    It would much easier to list what Davey did right , because it was very little. But just in a nutshell, he apparently had no plan for the bullpen except to just wing it. I don't think anyone had an idea what their role was. Vesia frantically trying to get loose while they tried to stall was not how you want to draw it up. The seventh inning deteriorated into a confused fiasco .
    Old school is good school.

Deity
    It would much easier to list what Davey did right , because it was very little. But just in a nutshell, he apparently had no plan for the bullpen except to just wing it. I don't think anyone had an idea what their role was. Vesia frantically trying to get loose while they tried to stall was not how you want to draw it up. The seventh inning deteriorated into a confused fiasco .
    Winging it in the BP seems to be going around the league now, and I don’t seeing it working out to well for a lot of teams.

So, building great pens often ends up with "winging pens", in the end.

Such is the fickle nature of baseball and roster construction.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

And pitchers seem to be getting injured more and more often all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Winging it in the BP seems to be going around the league now, and I don’t seeing it working out to well for a lot of teams.
    Winging it is not a good plan. We saw enough of that in Fenway this year. With a bullpen , you should know who your closer is. You should know who has the 8th inning . You should know who your setup man ( or relief ace , if you prefer ) is. And the pitchers should know their roles so they can get ready and properly prepare. Now , sometimes you have to make changes , but " winging it " should never be the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    And pitchers seem to be getting injured more and more often all the time.
    The more and more they are pampered, the more they get hurt.

Deity
    Winging it is not a good plan. We saw enough of that in Fenway this year. With a bullpen , you should know who your closer is. You should know who has the 8th inning . You should know who your setup man ( or relief ace , if you prefer ) is. And the pitchers should know their roles so they can get ready and properly prepare. Now , sometimes you have to make changes , but " winging it " should never be the plan.

Why?

These roles have too and for many teams will change over the course of the season, whether it’s injury, ineffectiveness, or simple overuse. Not to mention, not event reliever wants a specific role. Absolutely some do, but it’s not an absolute.

Get the best pitchers you can. Having defined roles in the bullpen is small market stuff…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Why?

These roles have too and for many teams will change over the course of the season, whether it’s injury, ineffectiveness, or simple overuse. Not to mention, not event reliever wants a specific role. Absolutely some do, but it’s not an absolute.

Get the best pitchers you can. Having defined roles in the bullpen is small market stuff…
    I do think jerking Houck and Whitlock around hurt their success chances.

Speaking of injuries, at the deadline the Yankees traded for Bader, Benintendi, Montas, Trivino and Effross.

Bader of course was on the IL when they traded for him.

Benintendi, Montas, and Effross are all injured. Effross is having TJS and I don't think the other two will return even if the Yankees get past this series.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Why?

Notin , I always count on you to provide some cockamamie explanation as to why plain old common sense is wrong. You never disappoint.

Deity
    I agree 100%.

Deity
    Notin , I always count on you to provide some cockamamie explanation as to why plain old common sense is wrong. You never disappoint.
    One of his better ones was that guarding the 3rd, and 1st base lines was the same as the shift.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

Did the Dodgers have a great pen? Got rid of Jansen, and Kimbrel went by way of Matt Barnes, and was left off the roster.