Register now to remove this ad

Page 501 of 526 FirstFirst ... 401451491499500501502503511 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,515 of 7886

Thread: A Realistic View at 2023: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    So, they must be viewing Mayer as "at least 2 years away," then, right?

He could sure fill in the gap between the bubbles by making a strong debut in 2024. (Maybe even get a look-see in 2023, as you suggest.)
    A lot of people are still projecting Mayer as "two years away." I guess they think Mayer would go A/AA in 23 and AA/AAA in 24? I think he'll exceed those expectations. That's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    This year will give us an idea exactly how gold plated he is ... at some point he's going to be a 20 year old in Portland, which would make him one of the youngest regulars in AA. If he plays well this season, then it's time to dream very big.
    For me, the two prospects in the system that I'm already dreaming on are Mayer and Bleis. It's probably OVERLY premature, but I was born 9 weeks early so you can't really blame me for always jumping the gun. I'm the type of person who thinks "5 minutes early is late."
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    It's hard to assess pitching down on the farms, after everyone lost a year of in-game development in the summer of '20. But according to mlb.com, the Orioles, Jays, Guardians, Phils, Marlins and Dodgers all have two Top-10 righty or lefty starting prospects. Boston has zero.

The Red Sox feel they need to limit Bello's innings -- he's going to be 24 in May. So will Mata.

Just for perspective: Clemens was 24 the year he won AL MVP. Valenzuela and Gooden threw 8 shutouts apiece in the bigs when they were 20.
    How did Valenzuela hold up after age 25?

Was Gooden the same pitcher after 25?
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    For me, the two prospects in the system that I'm already dreaming on are Mayer and Bleis. It's probably OVERLY premature, but I was born 9 weeks early so you can't really blame me for always jumping the gun. I'm the type of person who thinks "5 minutes early is late."
    Even for work meetings?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Maybe the reason is I’ve had the common decency, and common sense to take a break, and give everyone else a break, but I noticed reading all the post not everyone did the same thing. Of course they would have to know they did something wrong first. I call things as I see em, and one in particular just can’t stand that, and thinks he’s the judge of what’s right, and wrong. After 60+ years of watching, listening, and reading Al kinds of sports venues I Never seen anything, or anyone like this, and I’m sure he’s been that way since he’s been on here. You told me once that you have put him on timeout, and that’s not surprising at all.
    I put people on ignore, not because of how they are as fans, but because how it affects my enjoyment of TalkSox. My suggestion of putting other posters on ignore is not to deride the other poster, but to state that it's better to just put someone on ignore if you can't help yourself from being bothered by their posts. Maybe you two should put each other on ignore if you just can't help yourselves from snipping at each other. As bellhorn said, this is a lightly moderated board. Suspensions aren't going to fix the problem in a timely manner unless it gets really ugly and I don't think anyone wants that.
    I get MV Pee.

How did Valenzuela hold up after age 25?

Was Gooden the same pitcher after 25?
    Fernando, Doc and Rocket were all legendary pitchers of substance.

LA is retiring #34 this year...

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Even for work meetings?
    For work meetings as well. When I was walking into the lead meeting today, the EA said "no one is in their yet" but that was fine by me. I wanted to get my seat, adjust the blinds, relax.
    I get MV Pee.

Fernando, Doc and Rocket were all legendary pitchers of substance.

How did Fernando do after age 25?

Was Gooden the same pitcher after age 25?
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    A lot of people are still projecting Mayer as "two years away." I guess they think Mayer would go A/AA in 23 and AA/AAA in 24? I think he'll exceed those expectations. That's just me.
    I’m counting on him being in Portland in early June.

Also, I'm a HUGE Fernando fan. I've carried an '86 Topps Mini Fernando card in my wallet for about 25 years now.
    I get MV Pee.

I’m counting on him being in Portland in early June.
    I agree. I wouldn't put him there in April/May just because of how horrible the weather can be.
    I get MV Pee.

I also see Mayer as the type of player that can be "fast-tracked." He's likely already good enough on D, and as you point out, his approach is perfect for moving up, quickly.

If it takes two more years, that's okay, too.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

I'm the same way. I am never late.

My Dad was always late, and got us to events late. I think that drove me so crazy, I'm his opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I also see Mayer as the type of player that can be "fast-tracked." He's likely already good enough on D, and as you point out, his approach is perfect for moving up, quickly.

If it takes two more years, that's okay, too.
    Agree on both points. Theoretically, he can have the rocket strapped to him this year and it will be more than ok. If it take him a little longer to get there, it's not a huge knock on his longterm value either.
    I get MV Pee.

Agree on both points. Theoretically, he can have the rocket strapped to him this year and it will be more than ok. If it take him a little longer to get there, it's not a huge knock on his longterm value either.
    Bleis is more "raw" but looks extremely talented.

The wildcard is Rafaela. The kid could really be something, or end up as the next JBJ- great on D and sporadic on O with some major holes in his O.

What we really need is a pitcher to step up and end the curse our system has been in for far too long.