Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd half blueprint

2nd half blueprint

Yanks have lost 5 of 6 and are still 12 games up on the Rays, who I still view as pretenders. Ultimately, I think the top two teams in the ALE behind NYY will be Toronto and Boston. Toronto because they're in a win now mode and Boston because they're finally getting healthy. So with the Yanks limping into the final 2 games vs the sox, their health has started to be tested.

Surprisingly, in the lineup, they've been healthy. Their "10 starters" from ST are all healthy right now and have actually added in Matt Carpenter, who has been quite possible the best player in baseball since he signed on with NYY (at least offensively). With Gallo phasing out, Carpenter phasing in and Hicks starting to hit well (he really only have one abhorrent month in May), the Yanks offense is pretty well set. I know the Yanks seem to be in on every OF out there, but I don't think that's a need now if Carpenter can play LF or RF reasonably. With the high price of Beni (and the lack of vax status) it seems the Yanks have backed off on him. David Peralta came up as a fine option, but I would only add him if we can subtract Gallo. That being said, Gallo will bring GG level defense and good speed, so he could phase in as an all or nothing option off the bench and a D replacement/pinch runner for Carpenter late in games. As maligned as the Yanks offense has been in terms of the big OF positions, I think they stand pat here, maybe they add a speedster to PR.

In the rotation, I know the Yanks are linked with Castillo, but I don't see it. Yes, it would mitigate the loss of Taillon and Monty at year's end, but they've already got a ready made replacement for them in both Sears and Schmidt. With Sevy down, we are about to get a long look at one of them. But when it comes to winning a title, you could do worse than a top two of Cole-Cortes and a 3-4 of Taillon and Monty, especially if Taillon goes on one of his runs. That also doesn't throw out Sevy, who was arguably our best starter before his trap started barking. Now Castillo would give them a 1-2-3 that is absolutely nails and if Sevy can return to form, a 1-4 that is all ace level. It would be a nice problem to have, but the Yanks cannot be shipping out their prospects when another weakness has set in

The bullpen is where the Yanks need work. Holmes has been lights out. Yes, he had a blip, but he recovered quite nicely last night. Wandy has been amazing. Michael King has been lights out. Luetge, until the Cincy game, has been really good too as a long man. Chappy is rounding into form, which is helpful. Yes, he gave up a Bobby D bomb, but he was hitting 102 and locating. He will be fine. The problems come after that. But the Yanks HAD a pen that literally had lights out options up and down the ranks. Castro has tailed off lately and it appears injury related. Loaisiga spent two months on the IL and seems to still be lacking his putaway pitch that he had last year. We had Green, who was as reliable as they come, and now he's out for the year. Marinaccio was lights out and needed a breather for a dead arm, but he appears to be coming back soon. My concern for this Yankee pen is that everyone is in a role they aren't familiar with. Holmes hasnt been a closer before. Chappy hasnt been a MR in a long time. King was a washed up starter, not a setup man. Wandy was a fringe mop up guy who is now a big part of the bridge. If the Yanks make a move, it has to be here. I would get a guy who is rolling AND can close. This can give Holmes a breather and allow Chapman not to be thrust back into a position he isn't ready for.

If the Yanks are to make any move this year, it's for Bednar in Pitt. The Pirates have made deals with NYY in the past that have worked to their advantage (they're very happy with the Taillon trade at this point) and others that didn't (Holmes deal). Yanks have a good farm and as with any reliever, the return isnt as much as a big time starter. But the Yanks need to re-establish their dominant pen back there while also dropping the work load for their most trusted guys
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Bednar has 3+ years of control and the Pirates are in no rush to move him.

He won’t be cheap due to the control and low salary, and previous deals with the Pirates are moot. The Pirates do employ scouts whose recommendations they will take. If you think their scouts aren’t any good at evaluating other teams’ minor leaguers in trades, bear in mind that’s how they got Bednar in the first place.

I doubt the Yankees even acquire a closer. They’ll probably look at some miscast reliever they think is salvageable and will miraculously turn him into another Sparky Lyle. This year’s best guess - Brandon Finnegan.

Oh and while you hate BTV, they do suggest an equal trade for Bednar is Peraza and Dominguez. I doubt the Yankees do that. If you think that is too high, keep in mind the 3+ years of control left on Ian Happ’s former Little League teammate…

Isn't there already a Yankee thread for this type of post?

Do we need two?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

All-Star
    Monty isn't s free agent at the end of this season. He's still got one more year.

Bednar isn't going to get traded unless someone blows the pirates out of the water aka volpe or Dominguez and hell no to that.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Meh View Post
    Monty isn't s free agent at the end of this season. He's still got one more year.

Bednar isn't going to get traded unless someone blows the pirates out of the water aka volpe or Dominguez and hell no to that.
    Nope. You’ll go get Kyle Finnegan. And he’ll throw 35 IP the rest of the year with a 1.85 ERA…
    Last edited by notin; 07-16-2022 at 09:49 PM.

I didn’t realize we had Monty for another year. Just another reason why Castillo isn’t worth the acquisition cost.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I didn’t realize we had Monty for another year. Just another reason why Castillo isn’t worth the acquisition cost.
    You guys have some major issues, this winter, too. Not as bad as the Sox, but still significant. Some "deadwood" lost as well.

Judge
    Chapman
    Taillon
    Green
    Carpenter
    Castro
    Gallo
    Britton
    Marwin

Option on Severino $15M w $2.75M buyout.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    You guys have some major issues, this winter, too. Not as bad as the Sox, but still significant. Some "deadwood" lost as well.

Judge
    Chapman
    Taillon
    Green
    Carpenter
    Castro
    Gallo
    Britton
    Marwin

Option on Severino $15M w $2.75M buyout.
    Out of those I'd say the only really major issue is Judge.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Dominguez and Sweeney both pulled mid game. Josh Breaux scratched right before game time

Dominguez and Sweeney both pulled mid game. Josh Breaux scratched right before game time
    What's in the works?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

I'd trade Dominguez if I were the Yankees too. I'm not a believer in him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I'd trade Dominguez if I were the Yankees too. I'm not a believer in him.
    He was definitely overhyped at signing but he is a legit top 50 prospect in baseball. He just got moved up to High A at only 19 years old, and has hit .272/.379/.450 with 21 steals between both leagues despite his age and relatively few pro innings under his belt.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    He was definitely overhyped at signing but he is a legit top 50 prospect in baseball. He just got moved up to High A at only 19 years old, and has hit .272/.379/.450 with 21 steals between both leagues despite his age and relatively few pro innings under his belt.
    SB's in the low minors are really easy. His 813 OPS in Low A is fine at 19. From a physical standpoint, he's not going to get any more developed as any additional weight would push him to corner OF. Top 50? I'm not going to get overly upset about. I just am not sold on him having a huge ceiling. I'd be quick to sell on him before something happens. I don't think he's a prospect who gets dealt and then has a HOF career elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Isn't there already a Yankee thread for this type of post?

Do we need two?
    That's rich considering you have 3 unrealistic threads going right now....

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    SB's in the low minors are really easy. His 813 OPS in Low A is fine at 19. From a physical standpoint, he's not going to get any more developed as any additional weight would push him to corner OF. Top 50? I'm not going to get overly upset about. I just am not sold on him having a huge ceiling. I'd be quick to sell on him before something happens. I don't think he's a prospect who gets dealt and then has a HOF career elsewhere.
    If trading him would help the Yanks get someone like Soto or Castillo then I'm 100% on board. Same with Volpe. The odds of any prospect developing into someone as good as Soto is about 0.001%