Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2nd half blueprint

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    You might need to review Beni's FanGraphs page.

He's far from a great fielder or baserunner. In fact he's a minus in both.

The only thing he has done well this year is hit singles.

He has 3 HR and his ISO is an atrocious .078.
    But he is far from the automatic out that we got in return.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

You might need to review Beni's FanGraphs page.

He's far from a great fielder or baserunner. In fact he's a minus in both.

The only thing he has done well this year is hit singles.

He has 3 HR and his ISO is an atrocious .078.
    Depends where on Fangraphs you look. His dWAR is -2.5 but his UZR/150 is 11.5 (3rd among all outfielders). He also hasn't committed an error this season, and won a gold glove last season. I won't claim that he's a top 3 defensive OFer in baseball since I remember him having a pretty weak arm, but to claim he's a minus is just a bad opinion (in my opinion). He's clearly at least an above average fielder and hitter. Can't speak for his baserunning though, but it can't be worse than Gallo since he's never on base.
    Last edited by bkzwhitestrican; 07-28-2022 at 12:32 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Depends where on Fangraphs you look. His dWAR is -2.5 but his UZR/150 is 11.5 (3rd among all outfielders). He also hasn't committed an error this season, and won a gold glove last season. I won't claim that he's a top 3 defensive OFer in baseball since I remember him having a pretty weak arm, but to claim he's a minus is just a bad opinion (in my opinion). He's clearly at least an above average fielder and hitter. Can't speak for his baserunning though, but it can't be worse than Gallo since he's never on base.
    And he's hitting .333 against the astros....

Yanks need to make a shift now. Castillo looked to be in your grasp before the Mariners decided to decimate their farm system and go after him. Time to pivot.

They should get an update on Sevy before the deadline. If he’s trending to come back, then nix the starter’s market. Montas is a good player, but he may be a product of his environment and recently had shoulder trouble.

If I’m Cashman at this point, I’m making deals for swing relievers or high leverage back end arms. KRob is one of them. They shouldn’t cost too much either.

You're right about the UZR/150 and I won't even try to understand how that relates to his overall dWAR.

But in the final value summary at the bottom of the page, he has a negative defensive value every year but 2018.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Yanks apparently all in on Montas. I didn’t realize he had another year of control.

You're right about the UZR/150 and I won't even try to understand how that relates to his overall dWAR.

But in the final value summary at the bottom of the page, he has a negative defensive value every year but 2018.
    I think defensive metrics in general aren't too reliable. It has Judge as a negative defender this year despite outstanding play. Based on the eye test Benintendi seems like an arrive average OFer.

I think defensive metrics in general aren't too reliable. It has Judge as a negative defender this year despite outstanding play. Based on the eye test Benintendi seems like an arrive average OFer.
    I think Beni probably is about average. I think he just lost some foot speed a few years ago when he tried to bulk up for power.

Deity

That column in Fangraphs isn’t dWAR. I believe it correlates to defensive runs…

The bottom line is that you're going from a 0.2 fWAR in Gallo to a 2.1 fWAR in Beni. He's a nice pickup for the Yankees. I am not happy about the move, not because I think that Beni is a game changer, but because this is another of my former beloved players that I will have to root against.

dWAR includes positional adjustment. Beni is playing above average left field, but because it's an easier position to play than other positions, his defense isn't as valuable as it would be if he had the same UZR/150 playing CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    dWAR includes positional adjustment. Beni is playing above average left field, but because it's an easier position to play than other positions, his defense isn't as valuable as it would be if he had the same UZR/150 playing CF.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Yankees get Scott Effross for Hayden Wesneski. Effross is a nasty sidearming reliever with 5 years of control. Wesneski is a big loss, IMO. He has power stuff and should slot into the Cubs rotation immediately

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Yankees get Scott Effross for Hayden Wesneski. Effross is a nasty sidearming reliever with 5 years of control. Wesneski is a big loss, IMO. He has power stuff and should slot into the Cubs rotation immediately
    Probably an overpay by the Yanks, but they really needed bullpen help so it makes sense.

Banned
    Probably an overpay by the Yanks, but they really needed bullpen help so it makes sense.
    I'm not too concerned with losing Wesneski

Especially with the 5yrs of control of Effros considering we will be shedding Chapman and Britton this off season.