Register now to remove this ad

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2022 MLB Draft

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    The thing with Dombrowski is that was not incompetent at drafting or anything - the man has been in baseball a billion years, he knows HOW to build a farm system. But the teams that hire him want him to turbocharge the major league club. Dombrowski's biggest strength is being able to look at the prospects, identify the "keep vs deal" and largely be right.

What has happened with Bloom though is that the team has the most pitching in the system it has had in years. You wish there was a guy with more than #3 starter upside - but with how baseball pitching staffs are trending, that might not matter all that much.
    Yes, DD was/is a good GM. Bloom seems to be a good one as well. They just have two different philosophies. DD cares about the MLB squad at the expense of the rest of the system. Bloom cares about the whole organization and wants to supplement the MLB squad from the farm, not just through FA/trades.

DD chose right in keeping Raffy over Moncada/Kopech. Even the Kimbrel trade, while probably too heavy in prospects, didn't really come back to bite the Sox. Aside from the Thornburg trade, he did a pretty good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Legend
    Kiley McDaniel at ESPN: https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/sto...l-30-teams#bos

(1/24) 56. Mikey Romero, SS, Orange Lutheran HS (CA) (40+ FV)
    (2/79) 71. Roman Anthony, RF, Stoneman Douglas HS (FL) (40 FV)
    (9/279) 87. Brooks Brannon, C, Randleman HS (NC) (40 FV)
    (2/41) 102. Cutter Coffey, SS, Liberty HS (CA) (40 FV)
    (5/159) 133. Noah Dean, LHP, Old Dominion (40 FV)
    (3/99) 134. Dalton Rogers, LHP, Southern Miss (40 FV)
    (13/399) 184. Gavin Kilen, SS, Milton HS (WI) (35+ FV)
    (6/189) 259. Alex Hoppe, RHP, UNC Greensboro (35+ FV)
    (4/129) HM. Chase Meidroth, 2B, San Diego
    (14/429) HM. Travis Sanders, SS, Copperas Cove HS (TX)

Romero was the No. 1 guy I wanted to move up within 24 hours of posting the final list. He's one of the better bets in the prep class to hit, he's a left-handed hitter with a track record, there's some raw power (but the swing isn't geared to tap into it yet), and he'll play in the infield (though his arm strength is just OK right now). I wanted to move him into the mid-30s and that also gives context for the Red Sox pick; it was a little above what was expected, but the 30s, maybe over slot in the 40s is what I was expecting for Romero. It makes sense given the preference for Alex Verdugo, Jeter Downs, Nick Yorke and Marcelo Mayer under the Chaim Bloom regime that the Sox would be higher on Romero than other teams and might have also saved a bit here.

Anthony looked like a comp/second-round bat at times this spring, but he had a pretty meh summer and is a corner-only guy, so I get why he slid a bit. Brannon looked to be a back-half-of-the-second-rounder as a catcher with real power who had a huge spring but didn't do any summer events, and I'm guessing the Sox paid him down to the ninth round. Coffey had long been tied to the Sox like the other prep prospects (and like a half-dozen others they didn't take) and he's a bit polarizing, but he has bat speed, raw power and an infield fit (probably third base) along with a decent backup plan on the mound (low-90s sinker/slider from a low slot). Kilen will be a tough sign but I really liked him over the summer (my preseason list had Jackson Holliday 12th, Romero 24th and Kilen 25th) and thought he'd go in the second round like Noah Miller (a similar type from a similar area) did in last year's draft, but Kilen was underwhelming this spring. Sanders is another prep shortstop a tier or two below these players who could benefit from three seasons in college.

I ranked Dean and Rogers back-to-back as different types of power lefty relievers. Rogers has a low-slot, flat-angled fastball in the mid-90s and enough off-speed to go multiple innings. Dean is up to 100 mph with bat-missing shape, an above-average slurve, and is overall more of a one-inning-at-a-time fire-breather. Hoppe is 23½ but sits in the mid-90s with bat-missing shape, an above-average slider and better-than-you'd-think command for a college reliever. Meidroth is a smallish but productive second-base type with a good approach.

Good summary. I feel a little better, but I’m still not all gah-gah, yet.

Rumor is 6th round pick hoppe signed for 32,240.

Rumor is 7th round pick bolden signed for 7,500.

Rumor is 8th round pick brand signed for 7,500.

Rumor is 10th round pick Coffey (the second coffey taken in the draft) signed for 7,500.

Rumor is 3rd round pick Roman Anthony signed for 2.5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Rumor is 3rd round pick Roman Anthony signed for 2.5 million.
    Meant 2nd 2nd round pick. Not 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Meant 2nd 2nd round pick. Not 3rd.
    Comp Round pick?
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Comp Round pick?
    For losing Eduardo Rodriguez.

@alexspeier
    Red Sox signings of first rounder Mikey Romero and second rounder Cutter Coffey are official. Romero gets a $2.3M bonus and Coffey gets $1.8475M.

Romero is amost $700k under, Coffey about $50k under.
    Last edited by mvp 78; 07-25-2022 at 02:04 PM.
    I get MV Pee.

There have been reported agreements on all top 10 signees except:
    3: Dalton Rogers
    4: Chase Medroth
    5: Noah Dean
    I get MV Pee.

@jimcallisMLB
    17th-rder Deundre Jones signs with @RedSox for $125k. Texas HS OF, line-drive bat, solid athlete. Kansas State recruit.
    @MLBDraft
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    There have been reported agreements on all top 10 signees except:
    3: Dalton Rogers
    4: Chase Medroth
    5: Noah Dean
    SoxProspects
    5th-round pick Noah Dean signing his contract.
    I get MV Pee.