Register now to remove this ad

Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2464727374
Results 1,096 to 1,097 of 1097

Thread: Red Sox to sign Trevor Story

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    On #2, you mis-read my statement as Bell notes. On #1, ok! Great. That's exactly what I'm asking about: What is the formula? I realize it's hard to reproduce that on a keyboard, so more important: what is it based on (that is, what are the variables, assumptions, etc.).
    I won't get into the exact weights, because I don't have the underlying dataset and it's not my job. But the basics of the formula are pretty straightforward.

We know that a single is slightly more valuable than a walk (since a single can advance a runner 2-bases). We also know a double is more valuable than a single, etc etc etc. We also know that stealing 3rd base is more valuable than stealing 2nd. All of that is intuitive. So can - instead of times reached base - there be a metric which is more useful? Now, total bases is okay - but that ALSO is not good enough. Like, two singles is more valuable than a double. So Runs Created is meant to take all of these positive outcomes and combine them based on how important they are to scoring runs.

Where stuff like this is useful is just to give a way to relate the offensive value of prime Wade Boggs vs the offensive value of prime Manny.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The metrics would show that as an OOZ (Out Of Zone) play…
    What if a guy throws or boots one into OOZ... or this year, if a ball goes through a player like he's a hologram and is ruled a hit into the OOZ...

... the kind of plays fans don't reward with AAHs... but drive us to BOOZ