Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul O’Neill’s number to be retired

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    O’Neill was great for 6 years through the beginnings of the dynasty and was good for the final 3 he was in NY. He was a middle of the order presence who rarely missed games and won 4 titles. It’s not surprising that a dynasty has a lot of retired numbers.
    Also don’t forget his appearance on “Seinfeld.” I believe the Yankee FO is already planning a ceremony to retire the number of Danny Tartabull, as well…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Combs was inducted into Cooperstown and won 3 WS rings in his 12 seasons in the Bronx.

Pennock won 3 WS rings in the Bronx and was also inducted into Cooperstown.

Gordon won 4 WS rings on the Yankees, won an MVP Award in NY, and was inducted into Cooperstown.

I’m not saying the Yankees retire too many numbers. I’m saying the Yankees retire the wrong ones sometimes. There’s no argument O’Neill was better and more deserving than these 3 players. Try to make one.

(And bringing up Gordon only playing 7 years in NY is an opportunity to mention his tenure in the Bronx was interrupted by his WWII service. O’Neill has no such equivalent.)
    Gordon was MVP in 1942, ahead of Triple Crown winner Ted Williams -- though in retrospect, Joe was second to Mr. Ballgame in WAR.

However, according to the Yankees scout who signed him, Gordon was "at his best when it meant the most and the going was toughest." That might not mean much to some modern fans convinced that such qualitative data is meaningless... now try telling that to guys next to him in foxholes back in the real war.

I’m not saying the Yankees retire too many numbers. I’m saying the Yankees retire the wrong ones sometimes.
    If O'Neil had played his whole career in NY, you could probably make the case to retire his number.

Also, #9 should be for Nettles, not Maris.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    If O'Neil had played his whole career in NY, you could probably make the case to retire his number.

Also, #9 should be for Nettles, not Maris.
    Maris is on the very short list of eligible players with two MVP awards that are not in Cooperstown. I’m ok with the number being retired for him. (Dale Murphy and Juan Gonzalez are the rest of the list.)

Nettles should be best remembered for stuffing a bat with super balls, only to have it break and scatter super balls all over the diamond…

Deity

Combs played his whole career in NY, and they retired him number for another guy with an OPS some 200 points lower…

Combs played his whole career in NY, and they retired him number for another guy with an OPS some 200 points lower…
    Yankee fans were just confused by Earle. When they looked closely, they saw no real need for Combs...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Earle_b_combs.jpg

Yes, it was mentioned before.
    I get MV Pee.

Maris is on the very short list of eligible players with two MVP awards that are not in Cooperstown. I’m ok with the number being retired for him. (Dale Murphy and Juan Gonzalez are the rest of the list.)

Nettles should be best remembered for stuffing a bat with super balls, only to have it break and scatter super balls all over the diamond…
    Nettles said he was given the bat on the previous trip to Chicago. His WRC+ from that trip through the broken bat was 133. Too bad there is no video of it on the internet.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Yes, it was mentioned before.
    Yes, but it’s very odd.

There are not many Hall of Famers who don’t have their numbers retired as it is (John Smoltz and Alan Trammell don’t), but the list of Hall of Famers whose number was retired for a much lesser player has to be really short.

It would be like watching the Red Sox retire #24. Not for Dwight Evans and not for Manny Ramirez, but instead for Mike Stanley…
    Last edited by notin; 02-28-2022 at 02:10 PM.

Yes, but it’s very odd.

There are not many Hall of Famers who don’t have their numbers retired as it is (John Smoltz and Alan Trammell don’t), but the list of Hall of Famers whose number was retired for a much lesser player has to be really short.

It would be like watching the Red Sox retire #24. Not for Dwight Evans and not for Manny Ramirez, but instead for Mike Stanley…
    I don't think Billy Martin's number was retired for his playing career.

I don't think Managers should have their numbers retired. I also don't think Managers should even have numbers on their jerseys. Should they even wear jerseys?
    I get MV Pee.

I don't think Managers should have their numbers retired. I also don't think Managers should even have numbers on their jerseys. Should they even wear jerseys?
    I liked the team pullover look that Tito popularized. Anything is better than wearing a suit and tie, like in other sports. You're running up and down the sidelines of a sweaty, athletic game -- not sitting at a business meeting.

For that matter, nobody should have to wear a tie ever. Unless women also have to -- then it's a true dress code that doesn't break gender bias laws.

Deity

Baseball is the only sport where mangers and coaches wear uniforms because it’s the only sport in which they are allowed on the playing field…

Anybody that thinks MLB survives without the top 200-400 players playing is kidding themselves.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Anybody that thinks MLB survives without the top 200-400 players playing is kidding themselves.
    So not a fan of pitchers walking 10-15 hitters a day with 88mph fastballs?

So not a fan of pitchers walking 10-15 hitters a day with 88mph fastballs?
    I think MiLB can be an exciting game. It's definitely not a tv ready viewing though. If you complain about Raffy's bad throws, Dalbec's defense at 1b or Xander's lack of range, just wait until you see the younger guys. Woof.
    I get MV Pee.