Register now to remove this ad

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    When is the last time ND won a big game like this?
    Hard to quantify as rankings are so fluid and arbitrary.

We did beat #4 Clemson way back in 2022.

Maybe 1984 beating LSU.

I'm not sure beating Tennessee in 2004 rises to this level.

It's all relative.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Hard to quantify as rankings are so fluid and arbitrary.

We did beat #4 Clemson way back in 2022.

Maybe 1984 beating LSU.

I'm not sure beating Tennessee in 2004 rises to this level.

It's all relative.
    I knew they beat Clemson, but I didn’t count that, because Lawrence didn’t play. It’s been a long time Green jerseys , or not.

I knew they beat Clemson, but I didn’t count that, because Lawrence didn’t play. It’s been a long time Green jerseys , or not.
    I thought the bottom line was always about winning or losing, and everything else is just an excuse.

Deity
    I thought the bottom line was always about winning or losing, and everything else is just an excuse.
    You trying to compare Bloom with Lawrence not playing in that Clemson game? That’s a big s t r e t c h.

You trying to compare Bloom with Lawrence not playing in that Clemson game? That’s a big s t r e t ch
    No. I'm asking when it's about wins and when its okay to make excuses.

When is the last time ND won a big game like this?
    The N.D. offense was able to wear down an undermanned Cent. Mjch. defense. Estime is another Bettis and Hartman made some really nice deep throws. But the defense was kind of spotty and the tackling left much to be desired. Ohio St. will obviously be a much tougher nut to crack.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    The N.D. offense was able to wear down an undermanned Cent. Mjch. defense. Estime is another Bettis and Hartman made some really nice deep throws. But the defense was kind of spotty and the tackling left much to be desired. Ohio St. will obviously be a much tougher nut to crack.
    No doubt.

OSU is the fave for a reason.

Home field might help set the stage for un upset, but it would be an upset, if it happens. OSU looks better, on paper.

(Rankings matter in college football but not minor league baseball.)

Deity

No doubt.

OSU is the fave for a reason.

Home field might help set the stage for un upset, but it would be an upset, if it happens. OSU looks better, on paper.

(Rankings matter in college football but not minor league baseball.)
    But it’s the WL record that gets you those rankings. Are you really comparing college football rankings to minor league farm rankings. That’s about as bad a comparison as you can get. Congratulations!🙈

But it’s the WL record that gets you those rankings. Are you really comparing college football rankings to minor league farm rankings. That’s about as bad a comparison as you can get. Congratulations!🙈
    No, I'm not.

BTW, the rankings are not based on W-L records. ALA is ahead of undefeated teams. It is based on speculation by AP writers and coaches on the values and potential of players some have never seen play.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Lots of hype for the game, so we’ll see if the games lives up to it.

Deity
    No, I'm not.

BTW, the rankings are not based on W-L records. ALA is ahead of undefeated teams. It is based on speculation by AP writers and coaches on the values and potential of players some have never seen play.
    I fully understand that WL isn’t all that goes into the rankings, but who, and when adds to it, so it does have something to do with it. Ala is ranked where it is from past prestige more than anything else. They even had to get a non starter QB from ND to start for them this past week.

I fully understand that WL isn’t all that goes into the rankings, but who, and when adds to it, so it does have something to do with it. Ala is ranked where it is from past prestige more than anything else. They even had to get a non starter QB from ND to start for them this past week.
    The NCAA rankings are often a joke. That's one reason they formed the BCS. They used to switch up the criteria from year to year. I remember because they used to say a head to head game broke a tie, but ND beat FSU, and they changed the formula. (ND lost to BC, but had the same record as FSU.)

With so many teams having the same record, the rankings are based on whatever each voter wants to use. Many speculate on values based on what the team did the previous season and how many key players they lost. The opening day rankings set the tone for the season, and they are based n 0-0 records for all teams.

So, team A beats the 0-0 number one team and whoopdie freakin doo, they jump up in the rankings.

Of course the NCAA ranking are way different from minor league rankings or even MLB's "power rankings," But they all have speculative nature to them.

There really is no way of knowing just how good some of these NCAA teams are, until late in the season, and even then, a key injury or a trend change can be hard to spot.

I feel pretty confident in saying the final #1 team in NCAA rankings has not always been the best team, and one can argue the best teams don't always win it all, anyway, for various reasons, including bad luck.

So is speculating on past prestige a better indicator of value than speculating on how good Teel is based on his past performances?

I know it's not an equal comp, but don't both involve speculation and bias?

All that being said, I do think Ohio State is better. They have been for a long time, and the academic qualifications to get into ND and stay on the team puts them at a continuous disadvantage vs many other teams.

It's been that way for so long, it's hard to imagine this year will break the mold.

Even if ND wins, it doesn't mean they are better than Ohio State on any given day.

Deity
    So is speculating on past prestige a better indicator of value than speculating on how good Teel is based on his past performances?

I know it's not an equal comp, but don't both involve speculation and bias?
    S T R E T C H I N G, and really grasping for anything, and everything with this. I’m sticking strictly to college football. You can go anywhere you want to.