Register now to remove this ad

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: just wondering

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    The Sale extension was fine. I did not LOVE the Eovaldi extension, but given the market he was entering, somebody was going to pay him. He was hurt so much in 2019 and you're better off just throwing all of the 2020 stats (this applies for every team) out the window. There is a good pitcher there clearly - albeit one with some injury risk.
    The Sale extension was not fine, because everyone knew Sale was hurt, and may never be the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    The Sale extension was not fine, because everyone knew Sale was hurt, and may never be the same again.
    Yes.

Deity
    Apropos of nothing, I just read the NYTimes version of the Sox winning their ALDS. In a nutshell, they said good hitting beat good pitching.

To that I would add what I have said before. The final regular season series vs the Nats was absolutely crucial to winning the home field advantage for the wild card game and it was played in a NL park, hence no DH. Nevertheless, Cora went out of his way to play both Schwarber and JDM in all three games. He also went out of his way to get JDM back into the lineup for the final 3 games--all wins--of the ALDS despite his ankle still hurting.

So I'm thinking keeping this ALDS line-up (JDM DH and Schwarber 1b) is worthwhile because it's actually the best combo of hitting and defense readily obtainable. Dalbec and Duran on the bench. And I like Iglesias over Arroyo at 2b.

We all know this pitching staff stinks to high heaven. Sale is dead. ERod is inconsistent. So is Pivetta. Almost everyone in the bullpen got nailed at least once in this series, even Houck and Pivetta (who did not start).

However, this pitching staff also has the lowest ERA, 4.11, of the five American League postseason staffs. Up ahead is the ALCS for further evidence of their ineptitude or, perish the thought, competence. My point is that, while Bloom should definitely be looking for good starters and relievers, he should not spend big.

Am I the only who noticed that the Sox won 7 of their last 8 games (including the crucial 3 games series in DC) without a closer? Or that the Sox had a great closer in 2018 and he stunk in the postseason?
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 10-12-2021 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Apropos of nothing, I just read the NYTimes version of the Sox winning their ALDS. In a nutshell, they said good hitting beat good pitching.

To that I would add what I have said before. The final regular season series vs the Nats was absolutely crucial to winning the home field advantage for the wild card game and it was played in a NL park, hence no DH. Nevertheless, Cora went out of his way to play both Schwarber and JDM in all three games. He also went out of his way to get JDM back into the lineup for the final 3 games--all wins--of the ALDS despite his ankle still hurting.

So I'm thinking keeping this ALDS line-up (JDM DH and Schwarber 1b) is worthwhile because it's actually the best combo of hitting and defense readily obtainable. Dalbec and Duran on the bench. And I like Iglesias over Arroyo at 2b.

We all know this pitching staff stinks to high heaven. Sale is dead. ERod is inconsistent. So is Pivetta. Almost everyone in the bullpen got nailed at least once in this series, even Houck and Pivetta (who did not start).

However, this pitching staff also has the lowest ERA, 4.11, of the five American League postseason staffs. Up ahead is the ALCS for further evidence of their ineptitude or, perish the thought, competence. My point is that, while Bloom should definitely be looking for good starters and relievers, he should not spend big.

Am I the only who noticed that the Sox won 7 of their last 8 games (including the crucial 3 games series in DC) without a closer? Or that the Sox had a great closer in 2018 and he stunk in the postseason?
    Iglesias is ineligible for postseason play.