Register now to remove this ad

Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB draft

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    Not that it isn’t a disappointment, but if they don’t sign Hickey they don’t get a pick back. At least with Fabian they get #41 next year. After a two year freeze bonuses are going up next year so it should be a lot more money.
    I'd still rather have Fabian and no #41 and Hickey.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Jay Groome has done nothing to say he is part of a wave of anything. The guy can't throw strikes or go deep in games. He looks like a reliever. Mata just had TJS, and while that doesn't entirely disqualify him, it does push back his timeline likely into 2023. Bello is intriguing and just reached AA. He is likely to be more of a mid season callup next year at best, although I like his stuff
    It does look like 2023- also for Ward, Song and Winckowski.

We do have Whitlock, Houck, Bazardo and Seabold for 2022, though, but some will not be called prospects, anymore.

Song is a TBD as he is still on his active duty. Never know what 2 years off will do for you, heck it could make him stronger. Ward just underwent TJS in June and will miss all of 21 and 22. Winckowski will be trade fodder. Sits low 90s, not a high K guy, good GB percentages. My bet is he gets dealt next year for reinforcements
    Hal sucks

I think if they could have signed Hickey and Fabian that it makes the draft look really good on paper. However, we can see that a high strikeout guy really has to thread the needle to be a productive MLBer. If Fabian is striking out 30% in college, he's going to get embarrassed by the time he gets to AA. Odds are that he's not going to amount to much.

In the immortal words of Dee Dee Ramone: "glad to see you go go go go goodbye."
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Song is a TBD as he is still on his active duty. Never know what 2 years off will do for you, heck it could make him stronger. Ward just underwent TJS in June and will miss all of 21 and 22. Winckowski will be trade fodder. Sits low 90s, not a high K guy, good GB percentages. My bet is he gets dealt next year for reinforcements
    Song could be great and a part of the long term solution in the rotation or he could never throw a professional pitch. Who knows with that guy.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I think if they could have signed Hickey and Fabian that it makes the draft look really good on paper. However, we can see that a high strikeout guy really has to thread the needle to be a productive MLBer. If Fabian is striking out 30% in college, he's going to get embarrassed by the time he gets to AA. Odds are that he's not going to amount to much.

In the immortal words of Dee Dee Ramone: "glad to see you go go go go goodbye."
    That 30% K rate was based on a horrific start. He had improved over the season.

I think Fabian will be a beast,

You neglected to respond to the point about getting help in 2022 from Houck, Whitlock, Seabold and Bazardo. That's hardly nothing. (True, some will no longer be called prospects, but they will be adding innings and changing roles.)

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    That 30% K rate was based on a horrific start. He had improved over the season.

I think Fabian will be a beast,
    He improved mildly over the season. We've gone over this already. I think he'll be worse than Dalbec.
    I get MV Pee.

He improved mildly over the season. We've gone over this already. I think he'll be worse than Dalbec.
    Then, it was a very bad pick to start with.

The high K rate is not what it used to be. Half the league has high K rates.

It was fine for a second rounder at slot. He has high upside. I think we've just been burned recently on those guys (Dalbec/Chavis).
    I get MV Pee.

You neglected to respond to the point about getting help in 2022 from Houck, Whitlock, Seabold and Bazardo. That's hardly nothing. (True, some will no longer be called prospects, but they will be adding innings and changing roles.)
    Houck and Whitlock could be future rotation stalwarts. They also could both end up in the pen long term. Houck’s issues are command and health. Whitlock seems to have both this year coming off TJS

Houck and Whitlock could be future rotation stalwarts. They also could both end up in the pen long term. Houck’s issues are command and health. Whitlock seems to have both this year coming off TJS
    I think Whitlock is more likely to be a starter long term. Houck doesn't have that profile as he's really just a two pitch guy and he hasn't been able to turn over a lineup.
    I get MV Pee.

I think Whitlock is more likely to be a starter long term. Houck doesn't have that profile as he's really just a two pitch guy and he hasn't been able to turn over a lineup.
    My thoughts exactly. I bet they talk about stretching Whitlock out in ST next year
    Hal sucks

... right, it's worse; at least, to watch as a fan.

If I were a scouting director, I'd task my staff with finding the best collegiate contact guys, and then following them in the wood bat summer leagues.

If he is striking out above 30% in college over long stretches, it's going to be a nightmare as he advances up the ladder.

How has the "everyone strikes out" worked for Dalbec?
    I get MV Pee.