Register now to remove this ad

View Poll Results: How many games will the Sox win in 2021?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100+

0 0%
  • 95-99

0 0%
  • 90-94

2 16.67%
  • 87-89

1 8.33%
  • 84-86

2 16.67%
  • 80-83

4 33.33%
  • 75-79

3 25.00%
  • 70-74

0 0%
  • 65-69

0 0%
  • 64-

0 0%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How many wins will the 2021 Red Sox get?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Looks like moving him to 1B solves 2 big issues at 1B: defense and offense.

and it might change the dynamics that a pretty good team has built. I don't see any reason at all to even think about moving him.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    and it might change the dynamics that a pretty good team has built. I don't see any reason at all to even think about moving him.
    Agree 100%.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    93 wins I think Duran and Houck along with Kiki and hunter make a huge difference.JDM Benny have much better years and propel us
    Some of the players were wrong, but I gotta give credit where it's due. Even if they don't get there, the optimism was apparently valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Nope. You keep Devers at 3b because you have nobody to replace that production there. Then you promote Casas who already is a good glove and can outhit Dalbec.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    why?
    MY logic is that the Sox are not a good defensive team, and Devers and Bogaerts are both below average defensive players at two key defensive positions. Of course, they are also the two best hitters on the team, so it's very, very likely nothing happens.

The big issue is how well Bogaerts could handle third, since he has not played the position in 8 years and reportedly does not like it. I have no trouble believing Devers could handle 1b, as it is the easiest position to play and is where every hitter with fielding problems gets moved to (other than DH).

Now if the Sox were losing, maybe they make a drastic change like this. But no way they do anything like switch the positions of one of them while the team is winning. Although it is interesting tht Cora has no problem bouncing Verdugo around the outfield and won't move any staters around the infield.

So upgrading this team defensively is not very likely. Maybe a 1B (won't be Casas). Maybe a CF (should be Hernandez, but probably won't be).

It also makes it difficult to figure where to plug in Duran. As of now, he is not necessarily any sort of defensive upgrade in CF. So he would have to replace either Verdugo or Renfroe. And it does not help his case that Renfroe continues to hit. In fact, right now, bringing up Duran probably weakens an already soft defense by forcing Verdugo into CF full time.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Nope. You keep Devers at 3b because you have nobody to replace that production there. Then you promote Casas who already is a good glove and can outhit Dalbec.
    Casas isn't coming up in 2021.

I think if the Sox moved Devers to 1B this year, they would get a 3B from outside the system. But unless Devers demands to be moved to 1B for unknown and unforeseen reasons, I just don't see it happening.

But if the Sox do make any move at the trade deadline for a position player, it will probably be a rental 1B (Mitch Moreland?)...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

I think if the Sox moved Devers to 1B this year, they would get a 3B from outside the system. But unless Devers demands to be moved to 1B for unknown and unforeseen reasons, I just don't see it happening.

But if the Sox do make any move at the trade deadline for a position player, it will probably be a rental 1B (Mitch Moreland?)...
    I just don't see Devers ever asking to move to 1B. He's going to be a free agent in a few years and he will get paid much more handsomely as a 3B than he would as a 1B. Also, after a horrid start, he's looked much better over at 3B for over a month now.

Casas is hitting over 50% ground balls in AA as a 20 year old with barely any experience past A ball. We don't see him until 2022 if he continues to make improvements.

Now if the Sox were losing, maybe they make a drastic change like this. But no way they do anything like switch the positions of one of them while the team is winning. Although it is interesting tht Cora has no problem bouncing Verdugo around the outfield and won't move any staters around the infield.
    Well, Cora doesn't move Bogaerts or Devers. We've had plenty of different guys play first and second.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Devers will be an All Star this year and many more to come. Leave him where he is. People overreact every time he commits an error.
    100%

Why would they move Devers midseason? That makes zero sense.
    I get MV Pee.

I also think that Cora has made a significant difference but i was glad to hear that Bloom did not simply rubber stamp his return. Looks like he is in charge. I've never really paid much attention to any of the gm's that we have had other than to simply argue about them but this guy is different. i'm not giving him more credit than I think he deserves but so far so very very good.
    I really think that coming from the Rays organization, where the budget is very limited, is a good thing for Bloom and for the Red Sox. I'm not saying that the Sox should never sign a big contract again, but just because we're a big market team, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be making these small market moves. Sometimes, they work out the best.

Things may change, but how good does the Hunter Renfroe signing look right now?

But opens up a big hole at 3B.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Why would they move Devers midseason? That makes zero sense.
    Fairly certain I said they wouldn’t do exactly that. I set it up as hypothetical as possible….

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    I just don't see Devers ever asking to move to 1B. He's going to be a free agent in a few years and he will get paid much more handsomely as a 3B than he would as a 1B. Also, after a horrid start, he's looked much better over at 3B for over a month now.

Casas is hitting over 50% ground balls in AA as a 20 year old with barely any experience past A ball. We don't see him until 2022 if he continues to make improvements.
    I did qualify it with “unknown and unforeseen reasons.”

Ultimately the Sox aren’t going to do anything to the left side as long as Devers and X are healthy.

At the deadline, they probably move on a reliever. They might move on a 1b, but I don’t think even that is all that likely. So the lineup you have today is probably the one we see going forward.

I think it’s odd that a lot of people overreact to even blatantly hypothetical suggestions that Devers move to 1b, but no one reacts when I say bringing up Duran might weaken an already soft defense…

Fairly certain I said they wouldn’t do exactly that. I set it up as hypothetical as possible….
    It's not even realistic as a hypothetical.
    I get MV Pee.