Register now to remove this ad

Page 53 of 127 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2021 Season Thread

Sometimes throwing a no-hitter is not the best thing for a pitcher because they get overextended. I think the stats for 2021 will back that up. I see that Means was way off last night.

Full credit to Kluber though, he's really stepping up.

Yankees pitching is formidable for sure.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Kluber threw 101 pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Kluber threw 101 pitches.
    Yeah, that's a pretty comfortable total.

The Yanks pitching, once again, doesn’t get enough credit. The Yanks have a true 1-2 punch again with Cole and Kluber. Kluber was magnificent last night and has continued to show mastery of the strike zone. Since he knocked the rust off a two year absence with a string of duds to start the year, he’s been excellent. If he can stay healthy, he will be a formidable pitcher to face in a playoff series
    I think most people wanted a longer sample size with Kluber, before accepting the Yanks had two sure-fire aces. Last night might have changed all that.

Two aces and a knock out pen is a great thing to have, and they have been what has kept you close while your offense and 2-5 starters have struggled, sometimes mightily.

I have to think Cashman gets a starter at the deadline, but I've been thinking than for several years, and he seems to be restricted in some ways.

You guys do have a few starters in your system you can hand the ball to, and see if they can do better. Taillon might just need more time to regain what he once had. German & Montgomery still hold some promise, but it's getting to the point of the season where you start asking, "Is it time to try someone new?"
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Sometimes throwing a no-hitter is not the best thing for a pitcher because they get overextended. I think the stats for 2021 will back that up. I see that Means was way off last night.

Full credit to Kluber though, he's really stepping up.

Yankees pitching is formidable for sure.
    Yeah, a really weird outing by Means last night. And I don't just mean out of character; lots of weird plays in that game. He was spot on through 3 innings or so, but ran out of gas the second time through the order. To your point, Miley was shelled in the first start after his no-hitter as well, and I don't remember Musgrove doing anything significant either
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I think most people wanted a longer sample size with Kluber, before accepting the Yanks had two sure-fire aces. Last night might have changed all that.

Two aces and a knock out pen is a great thing to have, and they have been what has kept you close while your offense and 2-5 starters have struggled, sometimes mightily.

I have to think Cashman gets a starter at the deadline, but I've been thinking than for several years, and he seems to be restricted in some ways.

You guys do have a few starters in your system you can hand the ball to, and see if they can do better. Taillon might just need more time to regain what he once had. German & Montgomery still hold some promise, but it's getting to the point of the season where you start asking, "Is it time to try someone new?"
    Don’t think he needs to get a starter. You’ve got Sevy coming back soon. Most starters return to prominence 18 months post procedure, which would be September. If one of Taillon, German, or Monty can steady, you’ve got a pretty formidable top 4.

What he needs to get is an offensive minded outfielder. Beyond Judge, our OF cannot hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Yeah, a really weird outing by Means last night. And I don't just mean out of character; lots of weird plays in that game. He was spot on through 3 innings or so, but ran out of gas the second time through the order. To your point, Miley was shelled in the first start after his no-hitter as well, and I don't remember Musgrove doing anything significant either
    I'm going to compile the stats on guys who have thrown no-hitters this year, post no-no.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I'm going to compile the stats on guys who have thrown no-hitters this year, post no-no.
    Well this was Means' second start. He threw 6 scoreless against the Mets in his first start
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    How do the Rays always know just when to trade a pitcher right before they suck?
    It's called pitching acumen lol

I have read here and there that Chaim was the real arquitect building TB's pitching from bottom-up in all aspects. There's not a coincidence our pitching has been very solid and has turned around in a very short period of time. Nobody gave them credit entering the season —nobody. Geez even people including Red Sox fans are still expecting somehow this pitching choke at some point (look at the game threads lol).

They not only have picked up some under-the-radar good arms like Richards, Pivetta, Whitlock, etc. but a lot of work and coaching in all the pitching staff is palpable as well.

I really feel very confident moving forward with Bloom running the operations of this team, specially at pitching. Bloom also will have a lot of budget in the years to come (unlike TB) in order to assemble a great team like Friedman did in LAD.

It's very encouraging our future. Just watch.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

The Yanks pitching, once again, doesn’t get enough credit. The Yanks have a true 1-2 punch again with Cole and Kluber. Kluber was magnificent last night and has continued to show mastery of the strike zone. Since he knocked the rust off a two year absence with a string of duds to start the year, he’s been excellent. If he can stay healthy, he will be a formidable pitcher to face in a playoff series
    There's no question that Cole is in his prime and is one of the best of the game, and Kluber WAS an ace. It's hard to say how a horse who has already ridden a lot of battles will pan out trough 162+ games after 2 years of absence. Just time will tell.

Said that, If you expect Kluber's resurgence from his ashes this year like the phoenix, it is even more encouraging for Sale's case considering he is younger.

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Disagree entirely. They’re two different styles of pitchers. Kluber was never a power pitcher. He’s a command and movement guy. Sale is a power pitcher and he lost his power prior to his elbow exploding due to a mysterious shoulder injury. Now sale will be effective at diminished velocity, but he isn’t getting back to his prior level performance without a massive upswing in his pre TJS velo

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Well this was Means' second start. He threw 6 scoreless against the Mets in his first start
    Correct. I'll include all games post no-no.

Disagree entirely. They’re two different styles of pitchers. Kluber was never a power pitcher. He’s a command and movement guy. Sale is a power pitcher and he lost his power prior to his elbow exploding due to a mysterious shoulder injury. Now sale will be effective at diminished velocity, but he isn’t getting back to his prior level performance without a massive upswing in his pre TJS velo
    Some Pitchers coming off TJ surgeries get even better. Look at Julio Urias. All I know is what they have been saying in reports here and there regarding Sale's recovery which sounds very encouraging. Regarding his approach, unlike other pitchers who have only one pitch to put batters out, he can use any pitch of his repertory to do so. If he comes back 100% healthy, his velo won't be an issue, and if so, in the worst case scenario, he can reinvent himself using more often his slider which is nasty and inducing more movement to his FB. Remember, we also have Bloom's pitching crew in order to help him.

Said that, he is not that old. He can pitch at great level the next 3-4 years if he comes back 100% healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    Some Pitchers coming off TJ surgeries get even better. Look at Julio Urias. All I know is what they have been saying in reports here and there regarding Sale's recovery which sounds very encouraging. Regarding his approach, unlike other pitchers who have only one pitch to put batters out, he can use any pitch of his repertory to do so. If he comes back 100% healthy, his velo won't be an issue, and if so, in the worst case scenario, he can reinvent himself using more often his slider which is nasty and inducing more movement to his FB. Remember, we also have Bloom's pitching crew in order to help him.

Said that, he is not that old. He can pitch at great level the next 3-4 years if he comes back 100% healthy.
    If Sale can pump 98 again, then I’ll agree with you. I guess time will tell

Don’t think he needs to get a starter. You’ve got Sevy coming back soon. Most starters return to prominence 18 months post procedure, which would be September. If one of Taillon, German, or Monty can steady, you’ve got a pretty formidable top 4.

What he needs to get is an offensive minded outfielder. Beyond Judge, our OF cannot hit.
    You can always use another starter to get you over the hump, but yes, offense, especially in the OF is priority #1. Defense is #2.

You have some other weak hitting positions, but you're not replacing Torres.

.532 1B
    .562 LF
    .570 CF
    .628 2B
    .644 SS
    (all other poistions are at .794 or higher- a major gulf between the top 4 and bottom 5.)

You have LeMahieu to play 2B or 1B, and you can't expect Torres to stay at .650, but that still leave a hole at one infield position, too. Maybe Voit or Andujar can fill that gap, but OF is your biggest concern.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?