Register now to remove this ad

View Poll Results: How many games will the Sox win in 2020.

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • 93 or more

1 4.35%
  • 87 - 92

3 13.04%
  • 81 - 86

7 30.43%
  • 76 - 80

9 39.13%
  • 67 - 75

3 13.04%
  • 66 or less

0 0%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Red Sox Win Total

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I think the Sox win 25-30 games.

I am not liking their chances without Sale, Price, Porcello and Betts. That;s an awful lot of talent to lose from a team that was only 3 games over .500 last year. I don't think Martin Perez, Brian Johnson, and Ryan Weber are going to replace Sale, Price and Porcello very adequately.

I do think Collin McHugh is a step up over Weber and Johnson, but will he start over either? And even if he does, cracking 30 wins might be a tall order.

But hey, if they can get on a run and make it exciting, dgalehouse is right. For once, the season is a sprint...
    Weber is going to kick ass this year.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The shorter the season, the more randomness kicks in. IMO, the Yankees are not as big a shoo in for the playoffs as most people are predicting. The Yankees are going down!
    Vibing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Oh shit. This is the content I crave...
    I get MV Pee.

I think the Sox win 25-30 games.

I am not liking their chances without Sale, Price, Porcello and Betts. That;s an awful lot of talent to lose from a team that was only 3 games over .500 last year. I don't think Martin Perez, Brian Johnson, and Ryan Weber are going to replace Sale, Price and Porcello very adequately.

I do think Collin McHugh is a step up over Weber and Johnson, but will he start over either? And even if he does, cracking 30 wins might be a tall order.

But hey, if they can get on a run and make it exciting, dgalehouse is right. For once, the season is a sprint...
    "It's still late..."

They might have underperformed last year, but you think replacing Sale, Price, Porcello and Betts with Perez, McHugh, Johnson and Verdugo/Pillar is the foundation from winning 52% of the time to 58% of the time?
    The drop off from Betts won't be that big. Sale sucked balls last year anyway. Porcello is honestly a middle of the road innings eater in a year where innings don't matter.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    IMO, the starting rotation becomes less important in this sprint of a season. That gives the Sox an advantage that they wouldn't have had in a long season.

I think Tampa Bay is going to really benefit from the reduced number of games. Their pitching should be very good. They are my current pick for the AL East.
    Agree.
    I get MV Pee.

Losing a guy like Betts won't hurt the Red Sox as much as adding him will help a team like LA. This odd season -- if it even begins or doesn't end early -- could be one big extension of postseason pitching strategies, like those used by ex-Red Sox managers: Tito and Andrew Miller in Cleveland or Cora and his "rovers".

I think the only way the Sox will contend is if they discover or uncover a star swingman on the mound -- preferably a bulk guy instead of an opener (because the former eats more innings). This is the underrated position that I think will key a lot of teams: a young middle reliever with a live arm who can pitch often and effectively -- and not break down. Candidates for Boston may include Darwinzon Hernandez, Tanner Houck or someone we've hardly heard of that Bloom has his eye on.

Single A
    Well looking at the schedule or at least what I think it will look like 10 games against each division opponent twenty games against NY and TB split those games 10-10 I hope....pound on Toronto and Baltimore 15-5 and twenty games with the NL East Nats, Braves, Phillies, Mets and Marlins maybe they can go 11-9 I don't think the Marlins will be very good the Nats and Braves will be good the Phillies and Mets might be good or maybe not we will see. Far as replacing Sale, Price and Porcello they were not effective pitchers last year and were a big reason why the Sox stunk in 2019. This year we can compete if ERod continues to grow, Eovaldi actually pitches to his potential and Perez and McHugh chip in for a coupe of months. This is going to be a weird year 60 games starting in mid to late summer sounds like a great time for fresh hitters to bat against pitchers I expect a lot of hitting especially the first 20-30 games and this Red Sox team should hit...yeah we will miss Mookie but the Sox have a good offense.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Losing a guy like Betts won't hurt the Red Sox as much as adding him will help a team like LA. This odd season -- if it even begins or doesn't end early -- could be one big extension of postseason pitching strategies, like those used by ex-Red Sox managers: Tito and Andrew Miller in Cleveland or Cora and his "rovers".

I think the only way the Sox will contend is if they discover or uncover a star swingman on the mound -- preferably a bulk guy instead of an opener (because the former eats more innings). This is the underrated position that I think will key a lot of teams: a young middle reliever with a live arm who can pitch often and effectively -- and not break down. Candidates for Boston may include Darwinzon Hernandez, Tanner Houck or someone we've hardly heard of that Bloom has his eye on.
    Houck looked like dog shit in ST. I don't think he's ready.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Kman View Post
    Well looking at the schedule or at least what I think it will look like 10 games against each division opponent twenty games against NY and TB split those games 10-10 I hope....pound on Toronto and Baltimore 15-5 and twenty games with the NL East Nats, Braves, Phillies, Mets and Marlins maybe they can go 11-9 I don't think the Marlins will be very good the Nats and Braves will be good the Phillies and Mets might be good or maybe not we will see. Far as replacing Sale, Price and Porcello they were not effective pitchers last year and were a big reason why the Sox stunk in 2019. This year we can compete if ERod continues to grow, Eovaldi actually pitches to his potential and Perez and McHugh chip in for a coupe of months. This is going to be a weird year 60 games starting in mid to late summer sounds like a great time for fresh hitters to bat against pitchers I expect a lot of hitting especially the first 20-30 games and this Red Sox team should hit...yeah we will miss Mookie but the Sox have a good offense.
    I have always appreciated your positive insight Kman. I think our offense will be fine without Mookie. Our starting pitching is the concern for this year, but you make a good point that Sale, Price, and Porcello were not that great last year, so we shouldn't miss them that much. The shortened season works in our favor as far as the starting rotation goes.

We got this!

Deity

Define “kick ass”...

Define “kick ass”...
    At least a 0.5 fWAR
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Houck looked like dog shit in ST. I don't think he's ready.
    Being ready for a two-month sprint may be directly related to age. Since it will be vital for teams to get off to good starts, expect managers to chase early Ws, starters to insist they can go one more inning, and bullpens to be pushed to the max. Don't forget the new three-batter minimum (as well as the unusual injuries and virus risks). We may see revolving doors of relievers from a lot of 60-man rosters. The Astros and M's have each included 12 of their top pitching prospects on their 60. The world champion Nationals list 10, as do the Dodgers, while the Yankees have nine.

The Red Sox have zero... so far.

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-prospec...n-player-pools

Deity
    At least a 0.5 fWAR

So kick a little ass...

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Being ready for a two-month sprint may be directly related to age. Since it will be vital for teams to get off to good starts, expect managers to chase early Ws, starters to insist they can go one more inning, and bullpens to be pushed to the max. Don't forget the new three-batter minimum (as well as the unusual injuries and virus risks). We may see revolving doors of relievers from a lot of 60-man rosters. The Astros and M's have each included 12 of their top pitching prospects on their 60. The world champion Nationals list 10, as do the Dodgers, while the Yankees have nine.

The Red Sox have zero... so far.

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-prospec...n-player-pools
    Maybe because we don't have any pitching prospects worthy of making the roster
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you