Register now to remove this ad

View Poll Results: How many games will the Sox win in 2020.

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • 93 or more

1 4.35%
  • 87 - 92

3 13.04%
  • 81 - 86

7 30.43%
  • 76 - 80

9 39.13%
  • 67 - 75

3 13.04%
  • 66 or less

0 0%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Red Sox Win Total

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I'm praying for 40, but I'd be okay with anything over .500. Don't think 40 would be enough for the postseason though. Since everybody only plays a third of the teams in the league, there's not going to be as much parity as past years. Astros and Yankees could both go undefeated, theoretically
    If you look at how the Yanks fared against the AL East last year, they could go 43-17. However, I think it's going to be a weird year and I think most teams will struggle to get into a rhythm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    If you look at how the Yanks fared against the AL East last year, they could go 43-17. However, I think it's going to be a weird year and I think most teams will struggle to get into a rhythm.
    And even a small injury could be devastating...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    And even a small injury could be devastating...
    Shit, losing one starting pitcher could end your season.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    I think the Sox win 25-30 games.

I am not liking their chances without Sale, Price, Porcello and Betts. That;s an awful lot of talent to lose from a team that was only 3 games over .500 last year. I don't think Martin Perez, Brian Johnson, and Ryan Weber are going to replace Sale, Price and Porcello very adequately.

I do think Collin McHugh is a step up over Weber and Johnson, but will he start over either? And even if he does, cracking 30 wins might be a tall order.

But hey, if they can get on a run and make it exciting, dgalehouse is right. For once, the season is a sprint...

Deity
    Shit, losing one starting pitcher could end your season.
    Sox are already down 3 from a team that only won 84 games last year...

Sox are already down 3 from a team that only won 84 games last year...
    If ERod, Eovaldi and McHugh are healthy all year, they could be fine depending on what they do with the 4th and 5th starters. I think they run out Weber as a Jalen Beeks type. If McHugh isn't ready, maybe Perez slides up to the 3rd spot and they have a bullpen game every 5th turn? It'll be really interesting to see how those last two rotations spots are managed.

I think they underperformed last year and maybe they can get to 35 - 25?
    I get MV Pee.

I am not liking their chances without Sale, Price, Porcello and Betts. That;s an awful lot of talent to lose from a team that was only 3 games over .500 last year. I don't think Martin Perez, Brian Johnson, and Ryan Weber are going to replace Sale, Price and Porcello very adequately.

I do think Collin McHugh is a step up over Weber and Johnson, but will he start over either? And even if he does, cracking 30 wins might be a tall order.

But hey, if they can get on a run and make it exciting, dgalehouse is right. For once, the season is a sprint...
    Bullpen management should be much different this year. It's really a year for Girardi to be managing somewhere. Just blow up those arms for a pennant.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Bullpen management should be much different this year. It's really a year for Girardi to be managing somewhere. Just blow up those arms for a pennant.
    Girardi is managing the Phillies...

Someone is squeezing in at .500 I bet.
    I wouldn't be surprised. With such a small number of games, the difference between .500 (30 wins) and .600 (36 wins) is only 6 wins. In a regular season, .500 almost never makes the playoffs while .600 almost always does. But this year, two really good or bad series could make the difference. It will be interesting, for sure.

Deity
    If ERod, Eovaldi and McHugh are healthy all year, they could be fine depending on what they do with the 4th and 5th starters. I think they run out Weber as a Jalen Beeks type. If McHugh isn't ready, maybe Perez slides up to the 3rd spot and they have a bullpen game every 5th turn? It'll be really interesting to see how those last two rotations spots are managed.

I think ERod, Eovaldi and Perez are locks for the rotation. But the last two spots look like some combination of Weber, Johnson and McHugh.

Bullpen management will be very important. Pitching depth will be less important than in years past, but still could be deadly if things break wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I'm praying for 40, but I'd be okay with anything over .500. Don't think 40 would be enough for the postseason though. Since everybody only plays a third of the teams in the league, there's not going to be as much parity as past years. Astros and Yankees could both go undefeated, theoretically
    The shorter the season, the more randomness kicks in. IMO, the Yankees are not as big a shoo in for the playoffs as most people are predicting. The Yankees are going down!

Deity

They might have underperformed last year, but you think replacing Sale, Price, Porcello and Betts with Perez, McHugh, Johnson and Verdugo/Pillar is the foundation from winning 52% of the time to 58% of the time?

IMO, the starting rotation becomes less important in this sprint of a season. That gives the Sox an advantage that they wouldn't have had in a long season.

I think Tampa Bay is going to really benefit from the reduced number of games. Their pitching should be very good. They are my current pick for the AL East.

They might have underperformed last year, but you think replacing Sale, Price, Porcello and Betts with Perez, McHugh, Johnson and Verdugo/Pillar is the foundation from winning 52% of the time to 58% of the time?
    The difference is not so much in the personnel, but in the fact that there are so fewer games. A lot of games, not just for the Sox, but for all teams, will be bullpen or opener games.

Girardi is managing the Phillies...
    Today I Learned...
    I get MV Pee.