Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sox close to deal with Lucroy

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Thee will likely be a decline in attendance if the team does not win immediately. But Mookie was not the difference between winning and not winning this year. The Sox had Mookie last year and it equaled 85 wins.

Fans will come back when the team wins. And some will stick throughout. Most of us started following this ballclub at some point between 1918 and 2004. A rough season or two is not exactly a novelty for us...
    I hope you are right but if I were Henry I wouldn't be so smug about it. I followed this team through thick and thin but not everyone is so committed to baseball. It is not a sure thing that any team can recapture the general public's affection once the public has developed other tastes. That is the danger. Too many posters on this board ASSUME that once fans lose their interest in Red Sox baseball they will automatically return after years in the wilderness.

I don't assume Bloom will be successful or unsuccessful. I will wait for results. So far the jury is still out. He will have no excuses for failure.
    Last edited by Elktonnick; 02-18-2020 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmaninthevegasdesert View Post
    please explain what he could have done to 'produce', has the guy had the job six months yet? Trying to compare the current situation in Baltimore and that ownership, to the one in Boston that has produced FOUR Titles, is just insane, give it a rest
    Let's see what he does or doesn't do. As Lombardi said "Winning isn't everything, it is the only thing"

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    I hope you are right but if I were Henry I wouldn't be so smug about it. I followed this team through thick and thin but not everyone is so committed to baseball. It is not a sure thing that any team can recapture the general public's affection once the public has developed other tastes. That is the danger. Too many posters on this board ASSUME that once fans lose their interest in Red Sox baseball they will automatically return after years in the wilderness.
    Should Henry be worried or should us fans be worried?

Henry can sell his share of the team whenever he wants for a massive gain.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Let's see what he does or doesn't do. As Lombardi said "Winning isn't everything, it is the only thing"
    Vince lived in simpler times.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Should Henry be worried or should us fans be worried?

Henry can sell his share of the team whenever he wants for a massive gain.
    Ok whomever owns the Red Sox.

Vince lived in simpler times.
    That is an assumption based on ones perspective.

Ok whomever owns the Red Sox.
    That aside, if the team loses revenue it ends up hurting the fans too. Less revenue = less spending.

it would be really nice if we had some kids coming up in our bridge year to keep fan interest...wait.i thought the Farm was supposed to magically fill itself with amazing prospects even though DD decimated it??? thats what posters on TS said for the past 3 years as the Farm was plundered
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    it would be really nice if we had some kids coming up in our bridge year to keep fan interest...wait.i thought the Farm was supposed to magically fill itself with amazing prospects even though DD decimated it??? thats what posters on TS said for the past 3 years as the Farm was plundered
    We're going to see Dalbec, Chatham and Houck this year. They are all top 10 prospects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

That aside, if the team loses revenue it ends up hurting the fans too. Less revenue = less spending.
    That's why it is too early to say whether trading Betts made good business sense.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    I know right DD killed us. I really wish that we had those other owners who knew what the hell was going on. Those guys that owned the club when DD was the GM were just losers. They had no idea what he was up to.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It is a minor league deal. Just not exactly the position the Sox need...
    The Sox need some catching depth, no? I like the deal.

Yes, we still need pitching, but this deal does not prohibit the other from happening.

7 catchers in the Fort. 2 on the 26 man, 2 in Pawtucket, and 1 in AA. 2 others go home, away or get lumped in a subsequent late ST trade for a , yes, pitcher. If a few of the 7 don't mind the MiLB deal and competing for one shot as Vazquez's backup, more power to Bloom to fill the clubhouse with possibilities. Plus all those split squad games are now fully covered, lol

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    7 catchers in the Fort. 2 on the 26 man, 2 in Pawtucket, and 1 in AA. 2 others go home, away or get lumped in a subsequent late ST trade for a , yes, pitcher. If a few of the 7 don't mind the MiLB deal and competing for one shot as Vazquez's backup, more power to Bloom to fill the clubhouse with possibilities. Plus all those split squad games are now fully covered, lol
    Lucroy once had a reputation for being one of the best defensive catchers. I haven't really paid much attention to him lately, but he's a guy who could really benefit our pitchers. Also, I read that he recently has surgery of some kind, and he could possibly provide some nice offense for a back up catcher.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    We're going to see Dalbec, Chatham and Houck this year. They are all top 10 prospects.
    As many other have said - "print the playoff tickets!"