Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2019 Draft

Yankees 2019 Draft

First pick is Anthony Volpe. HS SS out of NJ. Plus defender with solid hit tool and a projectable average power tool. Comparison is Michael Young. He's a kid who said he wouldn't sign with anyone but a northeast team.

First round competitive balance pick- TJ Sikkema. Small framed lefty with good stuff, sits around 90, can top out at 95.

Both of these players are reaches. Volpe I can live with. I do not like the Sikkema pick
    Last edited by jacksonianmarch; 06-03-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    Hal sucks

Second rounder is MIF from LSU, Josh Smith. He’s a bat first middle infielder with now average to above average power for the position. May end up a 2b. Another pretty safe pick for the Yanks

Volpe has a commitment with Vanderbilt, those guys are very hard to sign, I'm assuming the Yanks did the due diligence before picking the guy or are expecting to sign a guy with big upside on the later rounds with this money

He said he would only sign with certain teams. The Yanks were rumored to be on that list. I guarantee you see an oversign here. Rumor was $3 mil, about $600K overslot or about $516K over the slot plus 5% overage. Will need to pilfer from others
    Hal sucks

3rd rounder Jacob Samford. CF from WKU. He’s a big lefty OFer who can be an above average runner. He is from Canada, so wasn’t scouted as a baseball player. Walked on to WKU and won the triple crown in his division. I really like this pick. He’s the rare arrow up collegian with big tools

4th rounder is Jake Agnos, LHP from East Carolina. Short framed probable long term reliever topping out at 95 in the rotation. Best pitch is a good curveball. Ranked around where he was picked.
    Hal sucks

Samford is definitely an interesting pick. I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops.

5th rounder is Ken Waldichuk, 6’4” LHP sitting 92-93 and topping out 95-96 with a plus slider and average change. He sounds like the better prospect between him and our 4th rounder

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Samford is definitely an interesting pick. I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops.
    Day 1 im really meh on. Esp if Volpe wants more than slot. If he gets 3 million, hell might as well of draft Leiter for 4 and went for a more cheaper 2nd rounder. Sikkema sounds interesting, but not at 1Sup picl. Sanford's father posts on NYYFans so it was great to see them pick him. He looks like our best pick for value. Day 3 should bring some gems, we have money to work with go out and get some guys./

Symbolic pick of Leiter in the 20th round

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Symbolic pick of Leiter in the 20th round
    They will try to sign him, it's a very solid prospect but has a hard commit to Vanderbilt.

He was said to be looking for $4 mil and a geographic preference. He got his preference, but won’t have the money available to sign unless his boy Volpe does him a solid

Second round pick Josh Adams remains the only 2nd rounder not to sign with any team thus far. Adams' 2018 was a wash due to a back injury. The rumor is that the physical performed showed a problem with the back and the Yankees are offering 40% of the slot to retain the pick for next year.
    Hal sucks

And that rumor was just that. Yanks sign Adams for full slot value

I couldn't find any Josh Adams, I found a Josh Smith SS from LSU.