Register now to remove this ad

Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of baseball

Deity
    Baseball shouldn’t mess with on-game strategies like specialized relievers or employing the shift.

Just enforce the existing pace of play rules. These were built into the game but are too often ignored. If you do anything, limit the number of times a player can step out of the box during an at bat.

Also, stop the stupid “expanded roster” thing in September. Or at the very least, stop allowing (up to) all 40 players to dress and be available. Teams play for 5 months with 25 players and maybe 7 or 8 relievers, but for one month they are allowed a 12 man bullpen and 10 available bench players? Nothing drags a game along worse than 7 pitching changes in the last 3 innings. Stop that nonsense now. And if eliminated teams want to see their younger players perform, get them on the 25-man active roster somehow. Phantom DL trips? Flat out release certain non-QO pending free agents? There are options here.

And yes, Yes, YES to bringing the DH to the NL. Seriously that league needs to quit pretending it’s still 1968...
    Last edited by notin; 02-06-2019 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Also, stop the stupid “expanded roster” thing in September. Or at the very least, stop allowing (up to) all 40 players to dress and be available. Teams play for 5 months with 25 players and maybe 7 or 8 relievers, but for one month they are allowed a 12 man bullpen and 10 available bench players? Nothing drags a game along worse than 7 pitching changes in the last 3 innings. Stop that nonsense now. And if eliminated teams want to see their younger players perform, get them on the 25-man active roster somehow. Phantom DL trips? Flat out release certain non-QO pending free agents? There are options here.
    The expanded roster seems like kind of a minor issue to me. Eliminated teams are sort of boring by definition already.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The expanded roster seems like kind of a minor issue to me. Eliminated teams are sort of boring by definition already.

Until you’re watching the Red Sox play the Orioles and the seventh inning is 90 minutes long because Brandon Hyde decides he needs to make 6 pitching changes, which he can do because he has 13 pitchers in his bullpen...

Deity
    Two of the issues being discussed seem contradictory to me. If MLB is going to require a pitcher to face 3 hitters, do we need an expanded roster of 26?

Expanding rosters will lead to more specialization, but by requiring pitchers to face 3 hitters, MLB is reducing the opportunities for that specialization...

Until you’re watching the Red Sox play the Orioles and the seventh inning is 90 minutes long because Brandon Hyde decides he needs to make 6 pitching changes, which he can do because he has 13 pitchers in his bullpen...
    this is solved by the 3 batter rule. you can have 173 players in the pen.....
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    this is solved by the 3 batter rule. you can have 173 players in the pen.....

But the 3 batter rule is stupid...

But the 3 batter rule is stupid...
    It is a little. If the guy gives up bombs to the first 2 hitters he faces, he still has to face another one?

Deity
    It is a little. If the guy gives up bombs to the first 2 hitters he faces, he still has to face another one?

Or fake an injury. That’s always fun and not time-consuming...

Or fake an injury. That’s always fun and not time-consuming...
    I'm not saying i am for 3 batter rule (my post from month ago proposed 2 batter minimum if 1st batter did not end current inning).
    but let me play devils advocate on the 3 batter rule.

pitcher gives up 2 bombs? must face 3rd batter. manager has option to put up 4 fingers if he is worried about 3 dongs in a row.

fake injury? (or real injury) - before any AB is complete - next 3 batters get IBB. after 1 AB - next 2 batters get IBB. after 2 AB - next batter gets IBB.

I'm not saying i am for 3 batter rule (my post from month ago proposed 2 batter minimum if 1st batter did not end current inning).
    but let me play devils advocate on the 3 batter rule.

pitcher gives up 2 bombs? must face 3rd batter. manager has option to put up 4 fingers if he is worried about 3 dongs in a row.

fake injury? (or real injury) - before any AB is complete - next 3 batters get IBB. after 1 AB - next 2 batters get IBB. after 2 AB - next batter gets IBB.
    A little too close to making the game a 3 ring circus...IMHO

A little too close to making the game a 3 ring circus...IMHO
    agreed. but i am 100% for the Slasher 2 batter rule.

Deity
    Unless you are a joint taxpayer filing singly or the moon is in alignment with Venus but not after the 15th of the month, in which case alternate batters are issued the IBB and academic probation until either team scores a touchdown or before 10pm on alternate Wednesdays. Eastern Standard Time. But not in Tennessee. Sorry...

Deity
    agreed. but i am 100% for the Slasher 2 batter rule.
    Just don’t expand the rosters and enforce existing pitch time rules...

Anything that gets people talking about baseball is probably good . When the hot stove league talk is dominated by the business / financial side of the game it does little or nothing to promote interest in the sport. ( Granted , some fans do enjoy discussing and analyzing the finances . ).

1. pitching clock
    2. robot umps

Games would speed right up.