Register now to remove this ad

Page 9 of 509 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2019: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Thanks for the vidual aid. It helps.

In terms of priority, we need both Betts and JD. We suspected Betts would have a bounce back year but having JD anchor middle of the lineup solidified this team. We need him. Throw in team controlled kids in Beni and Devers. I would keep JBJ around too.

What to do with Xander. We are making a terrible mistake if we give him $20M and up. It's NOT that he's not deserving but spending too much money on a shortstop will necessarily force someone else not being signed. We can't have it all, you have to make choices.

Same goes with not signing Kimbrel and looking for a cheaper alternative.

Same goes with not signing Porcello when his gig is up. We have to give up something.

I rather bet on Betts and JD to continue with our success. We will need to up the ante for JD after 2019 season. I see him as more of priority than Xander. You can always find a good defensive shortstop. Not many JD in this league.
    I agree with pretty much everything here. The decision on Sale may be very hard, too (not mentioned here).

To me, if we keep Betts & JD, and we have to choose between these two choices, I go with...

Sale > Porcello (assuming Sale passes the physical)

JBJ > Bogey

Kelly > Kimbrel (money differential)

Without any major additions, what are this team's chances without Bogey, Porcello and Kimbrel- assuming everything else stays and remains pretty consistent in performance output?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

Without any major additions, what are this team's chances without Bogey, Porcello and Kimbrel- assuming everything else stays and remains pretty consistent in performance output?
    2-3 years from now...
    1. Betts RF
    2. Beni LF
    3. Devers 3B
    4. JD DH
    5. JBJ CF
    6. Chavis/Ockimey/Dalbec 1B
    7. Hernandez/Quiroz 2B
    8. Lin/Chatham SS
    9. Vaz C
    (Of course, we'll add somebody, but this is the base we'd have to work with.)

SP: Sale, Price, ERod, Wright, Johnson, Velazquez/Shawaryn/Groome
    RP: Feltman, Kelly, Barnes, Brasier, Hembree, Workman/Scott/Poyner/Walden/Lakins

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Big thing for Sox this year is everyone remaining relatively healthy, especially the starting four of Sale, Price, Porcello and E Rod. I would love to see E Rod take it up another notch. He needs more swings and misses to keep his pitch count low. No matter how he starts off a batter, inevitably he goes to 2-2, 3-2 counts.
    I'm still an ERod fan but his stuff is just not good enough for any mistakes. As a result he lives on the corners and there is little margin for error there, that's why the counts go full so often. And that's why IMO what you see now is probably all he's going to be, a 4th starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz Fan Since '67 View Post
    I'm still an ERod fan but his stuff is just not good enough for any mistakes. As a result he lives on the corners and there is little margin for error there, that's why the counts go full so often. And that's why IMO what you see now is probably all he's going to be, a 4th starter.
    I disagree. I think he has the best non fastball "stuff" on the staff. It's nastier than nasty!

He nibbles too much and should pitch to contact, instead of trying to get batters to swing at balls outside the strike zone.

Deity
    I disagree. I think he has the best non fastball "stuff" on the staff. It's nastier than nasty!

He nibbles too much and should pitch to contact, instead of trying to get batters to swing at balls outside the strike zone.
    You can make a living on the corners. Jamie Moyer did that for 60 years and did so with mediocre stuff...

2-3 years from now...
    1. Betts RF
    2. Beni LF
    3. Devers 3B
    4. JD DH
    5. JBJ CF
    6. Chavis/Ockimey/Dalbec 1B
    7. Hernandez/Quiroz 2B
    8. Lin/Chatham SS
    9. Vaz C
    (Of course, we'll add somebody, but this is the base we'd have to work with.)

SP: Sale, Price, ERod, Wright, Johnson, Velazquez/Shawaryn/Groome
    RP: Feltman, Kelly, Barnes, Brasier, Hembree, Workman/Scott/Poyner/Walden/Lakins

I think the key is for DD to go out and find decent SP replacements. Sox clearly have good bullpen and offensive depth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

@jcmccaffrey

Dombrowski says if they don't retain Kimbrel, Barnes and Brasier are candidates they'd consider for the closer role.
    I get MV Pee.

@alexspeier

Dombrowski says Sox like all 3 of their catchers. ‘I’d say it’s unlikely but not impossible that you have three guys... I’m not sure where that’s going to take us at this point.’ Implies team is open-minded about where it will go with Vazquez/Swihart/Leon.
    I get MV Pee.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaz Fan Since '67 View Post
    He has fringy #1/terrific #2 level stuff. His COMMAND comes and goes. But he is the only starter besides Sale on the staff who can look absolutely unhittable. (Price is outstanding and much more consistent - but not sure he has the same ceiling anymore)

@jcmccaffrey

Dombrowski says Sale just needs rest this offseason, not anticipating any type of surgical procedures necessary.
    I get MV Pee.

@jcmccaffrey

Dombrowski says they'll be sending qualifying offers to some of their free agents but aren't at liberty to say until MLB announces it on Friday.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @jcmccaffrey

Dombrowski says Sale just needs rest this offseason, not anticipating any type of surgical procedures necessary.
    That's what ya said last year Dave!

@alexspeier

Dombrowski says the Sox have a group of young pitchers who they really like who will be in Double A next year, contributing to the sense that there is internal depth in the organization.
    I get MV Pee.

@jcmccaffrey

Also Dombrowski confirms Eduardo Nunez has accepted his player option and will remain in Boston.
    I get MV Pee.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I think the key is for DD to go out and find decent SP replacements. Sox clearly have good bullpen and offensive depth.
    It is an interesting starting market.

- I am pessimistic about re-signing Eovaldi. Somebody is going to blow away the market with years and the Sox will reluctantly have to let him walk.
    - I would not be surprised if Pomeranz got re-signed on some sort of short "prove-it" deal. His health and suckiness last year might scare off a hot market for him. Coming back to this team and re-building his market might be the right move.
    - Charlie Morton, Anibal Sanchez, Hyu-Jin Riu and Derek Holland are all interesting "old guys" who are possibly gettable for a 1-2 year deal.
    - I see basically zero chance either Price or Kershaw opt out.