Register now to remove this ad

Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 185866676869 LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1023

Thread: 10/27 World Series Game 4

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Something else to chew on, Max, about how managerial decisions are viewed:

After Game 3 Cora was being criticized in a lot of quarters for 'going all-in' with Eovaldi.

After Game 4 we heard a lot about how Eovaldi's performance in Game 3 was very inspirational to the team.
    And I was one of the complainers because I was plenty worried we had used up 2 starters in one game and still lost it. But I still think Cora has had an incredible season for a manager because I've watched almost every game and think he makes good decisions.

But more than that it appears he has the team thinking the right way and I love the way he looks in the dugout during games. Alert, decisive, and calm--the exact opposite of what a first time manager for a highly paid, highly visible ball club should look.

They just fired a guy who took them to the WS in 2013 and won the AL East in 2016 and 2017. Gone. Francona, a perfectly good manager who broke the Curse and then won a 2d WS--gone. In the movie Bull Durham Crash Davis (Kevin Costner) holds forth on how tough MLB pitchers can be, but they ain't nuttin' compared to the Sox front office in the John Henry era. They are currently paying two guys, Pablo and Hanley, a combined $35M this season to stay away from this team.

Yet there is Cora--to the manner born. Pretty remarkable.

That said, just maybe it's time to recognize the players without whom all this--108 wins, 3 of 4 in the ALDS, 4 of 5 in the ALCS, and now 3-1 in the WS--is impossible.

And it has to be said, especially by yours truly, the big fat whiner last night, that last night's game was representative of the best games they've played this season. In fact, it probably is the best game given their situation and what was at stake.

So hat's off to all of them and especially Pearce who was interviewed after the game and said the same thing--it was a team effort all the way. I assume everyone has seen the replay of Sale charging guys up in the bullpen I think right before the Sox batted in the 7th.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 10-28-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm going to hold you to that.
    I've praised his quickness and range, but all along I have worried he'd make a crucial error, but instead he makes a play I doubt Nunez or Holt could have made.

I have blasted others for making sweeping statements based on one play, one game, one week or even a half season, so I'm opening myself up to being called a hypocrite, but Devers' defense of late has been flawless and even spectacular at times.

Maybe the time off helped. Maybe he's just been more focused. On offense, he always seems to rise to the top when needed most. Now, it seems like his defense does, too.

I've said before, I'm fine with giving Devers another year at 3B (2019), but that it worries me about a guy having to learn on the fly right in the midst of a championship run. I'm not worried as much anymore, and besides, I've always felt his bat can and will outweigh any negatives he brings to defense.

I've been a huge Devers fan since his first year in the minors. I suggest hundreds of trades a year, but I have never once suggested trading Devers. I'm glad DD never did.

I'm looking forward to Devers having a huge year next year at 3B.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    you sure?
    Roberts said hill told him he was tired. I only coach 13u but if 1 of my players tells me he’s “tired” I yank him right out of the game.
    other names i have posted under: none

Dodgers were 54-0 when ahead by 4 runs or more this year.

I admit, I was down after Puig's HR, but I still had a lot of hope we'd pull it out, once Hill was removed.

I can understand how many fans get frustrated and lash out with statements they might not really believe, but I keep getting the sense that some fans have had no hope in this team until after a win like last night's.

I've done my share in talking down Moreland, but I was glad to see him come up against the righty last night. I didn't expect a homer, but I was not shocked by it.

We've been doing this all year, and I guess it still surprises me how often some fans seemingly give up on hope.

It's easy being a Sox fan today.

Maybe my idea of what a true fan should be is outdated and old school, and maybe being a fan of teams that have had long stretches of ineptitude has taught me to more even keeled and less hyper-reactive, but to me fans should have confidence in the team they love, no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I've praised his quickness and range, but all along I have worried he'd make a crucial error, but instead he makes a play I doubt Nunez or Holt could have made.

I have blasted others for making sweeping statements based on one play, one game, one week or even a half season, so I'm opening myself up to being called a hypocrite, but Devers' defense of late has been flawless and even spectacular at times.

Maybe the time off helped. Maybe he's just been more focused. On offense, he always seems to rise to the top when needed most. Now, it seems like his defense does, too.

I've said before, I'm fine with giving Devers another year at 3B (2019), but that it worries me about a guy having to learn on the fly right in the midst of a championship run. I'm not worried as much anymore, and besides, I've always felt his bat can and will outweigh any negatives he brings to defense.

I've been a huge Devers fan since his first year in the minors. I suggest hundreds of trades a year, but I have never once suggested trading Devers. I'm glad DD never did.

I'm looking forward to Devers having a huge year next year at 3B.

I was absolutely astounded when Devers made that play. He's botched easier plays this year. And the throw was on the money too.
    In my coaching I've observed that often times when a player makes a play that I thought was beyond his ceiling that player was 'climbing the ladder', reached a higher rung than I thought he could, and within a short time that became his new normal. Maybe Devers chose the right time to climb that ladder.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Unbelievable stop. Unbelievable throw to 1B. I rank it up there with all the great OF plays we've seen this post-season by our Sox. It’s the type of play that makes you reevaluate what you previously thought, sure. Don’t sleep on Sloth, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I was absolutely astounded when Devers made that play. He's botched easier plays this year. And the throw was on the money too.
    In my coaching I've observed that often times when a player makes a play that I thought was beyond his ceiling that player was 'climbing the ladder', reached a higher rung than I thought he could, and within a short time that became his new normal. Maybe Devers chose the right time to climb that ladder.
    That was a great play by Devers. When he got up, I thought that he had no chance to make the play and i was hoping that he would eat the ball.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Unbelievable stop. Unbelievable throw to 1B. I rank it up there with all the great OF plays we've seen this post-season by our Sox. It’s the type of play that makes you reevaluate what you previously thought, sure. Don’t sleep on Sloth, bro.
    He has a strong arm, but I was thinking the same thing - Don't throw it! I think that was the nicest play he's made all year, and he's been pretty steady since his return.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    What a fantastic game!

Love seeing the shocked faces of Dodger fans.

Sale screaming in the Sox dugout while Dodgers are chiilin' & relaxed on the bench.

Moreland huge.

Pearce Huge.

Holt Huge.

Devers huge.

Did I mention Pearce huge?

Erod huge...just left in too long.

Sox pen huge...(until now)

And Dave Roberts proving he's still a true loyal Sox guy. Thanks Dave, don't mind if we do.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Playoff OPS

1.037 Holt
    .919 Pearce
    .898 Moreland
    .853 Martinez
    .835 JBJ
    .764 Devers
    .679 Beni
    .670 Nunez
    .610 Vaz
    .599 Bogey
    .593 Leon
    .579 Betts
    .523 Kinsler

RBI/AB
    9/30 Devers
    5/17 Moreland
    13/46 JD
    6/23 Holt
    10/40 JBJ
    8/34 Pearce

Playoff WHIP

0.77 Kelly
    0.81 Eovaldi
    1.04 Barnes
    1.07 Hembree
    1.10 ERod
    1.11 Porcello
    1.32 Price
    1.33 Sale
    1.38 Brasier
    1.59 Kimbrel
    10.00 Workman

ERA
    0.00 Hembree
    0.87 Kelly
    1.04 Barnes
    1.04 Brasier
    1.61 Eovaldi
    3.52 Porcello
    4.26 Price
    4.40 Sale
    5.91 Kimbrel
    6.30 ERod
    45.00 Workman

Legend
    Bellinger not in Line-up tonight.

Playoff OPS

1.037 Holt
    .919 Pearce
    .898 Moreland
    .853 Martinez
    .835 JBJ
    .764 Devers
    .679 Beni
    .670 Nunez
    .610 Vaz
    .599 Bogey
    .593 Leon
    .579 Betts
    .523 Kinsler

RBI/AB
    9/30 Devers
    5/17 Moreland
    13/46 JD
    6/23 Holt
    10/40 JBJ
    8/34 Pearce
    Betts, Bogey and Beni all under .680, yet....

Betts, Bogey and Beni all under .680, yet....
    Someone has to pay!
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Someone has to pay!
    Too bad this team is so unbalanced!