Register now to remove this ad

Page 67 of 69 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1023

Thread: 10/27 World Series Game 4

Deity
    What I really liked about all of this was Cora saying that at some point in time it all boils down to having the will to win. What is that you think? Can a will to win be quantitatively measured? This game is numbers oriented but it really is all about the people playing. They believeand expect to win and they do partly because they think they can. I loved watching Sale go off in the bullpen.

Deity
    The will to win is an interesting notion, even an attractive one if you are a Sox fan.

If you're a Dodgers fan, however, managerial ineptitude transcends all else. And in the bottom of the 6th the Sox fans were just as sure they had the idiot at the helm--dummy Cora whose chief claim to fame, according to a few, was that he was a lucky manager.

I find it fascinating that last night ERod threw 93 pitches and Hill threw 91 pitches and one fan base is furious ERod was left in and the other fan base even more furious Hill was removed. And perhaps both are right.

Me, I think I can make a case that both managers were equally right/wrong. In Dave Roberts case his starter Hill had told him to keep a careful watch because he could run out of gas. At that point in the game the Dodgers had a 4-0 lead and the comfort of knowing that whoever they sent to the mound in the previous 24 innings was certain to be effective because in those 24 innings the Sox drove in exactly 1 run, a dinger by JBJ. As for Cora, he had a lineup that in the playoffs had been deemed relentless but in the previous 24 innings was moribund and now, thanks to a bad throw by Vazquez, were down 1-0 with the redoubtable Hill and his astounding curve on the mound. Why not let ERod get that last out and save the bullpen a tad because this game could well go extra innings.

I personally thought the game was over in the 6th before the Puig dinger and because the lineup was dead, dead, dead. Wrong. This is baseball, and anything can happen. Lightning struck the Dodgers lineup when Puig got that dinger, and the same exact thing happened 1/2 inning later when Moreland, pinch-hitting, did the same thing for the Sox. Land o' goshen!

Think about that. Two teams go almost 24 innings scoring a total of 6 runs, only 4 of them earned, and in the space of two half innings--the bottom of the 6th and the top of the 7th--they score 7 runs. And in the subsequent 2 innings they score 8 more runs. In that total of 3 1/3 innings they scored 15 runs including 4 dingers!!!! And let's not forget that Kimbrel, no longer having to worry about tipping his pitches, showed once again why the Sox will be nuts to renew his contract and why Cora had Price warming up in the bullpen with a 5 run lead that was suddenly a 3 run lead with no one out in the bottom of the 9th.

So maybe it is was/is a will to win, but I would argue it is impossible for both teams in the World Series and after having to win both division series and league championship series not to have a very strong will to win.

What we saw last night was baseball. Amazing baseball.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 10-28-2018 at 09:26 AM.

Legend
    We cut the heart out of the Dodgers, this series is done, just a matter of time. They punched with the best that they got, and almost lost 2 games. Mookie hasn't hit, JD hasn't hit, and we are still winning. Cora and Team know today, you should put in final Knockout Punch. Don't worry about game 6.

Something else to chew on, Max, about how managerial decisions are viewed:

After Game 3 Cora was being criticized in a lot of quarters for 'going all-in' with Eovaldi.

After Game 4 we heard a lot about how Eovaldi's performance in Game 3 was very inspirational to the team.

Deity
    Cora had to hold the fort until the Sox got Hill out of the game. It was as simple as that. If Hill had a bionic arm he would still be blowing the Sox away this morning, tonight, whenever. We have no shot at hitting Hill...no shot...never had a shot.

Hill's only real failing in this series is that his stuff is curvaceous but weak which would encourage fly balls to Fenway LF here in Boston. So that is the answer to somebody's question from last night. Why not Hill for more starts in this series? Can't really use him in Fenway or if you do you are asking for it.

So that is why IMO Cora erred in leaving Erod to pitch to Puig with something like 85 pitches on Erod's arm. Since when does Erod have more pitches than that in his arm. His velocity was already down at that point to just over 90. Just hold the fort Alex until you can get Hill out of the game. Fortunately the Sox came all the way back against their pen.

That said, that brings us back to one of the other hero's of this series, Eo. Eo saved our pen in game 3 while Roberts had to use his and the goons Roberts used in Game 3 were if anything less capable in game 4. Madson has come in to 7 inherited runners and all of them have scored just as an example! Imagine his bar conversations over a drink after this series.

"Hey, how many inherited runners scored off you in the 2018 WS?"

"All of them"

Eo has been a monster...just a monster.
    Last edited by jung; 10-28-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    What I really liked about all of this was Cora saying that at some point in time it all boils down to having the will to win. What is that you think? Can a will to win be quantitatively measured? This game is numbers oriented but it really is all about the people playing. They believeand expect to win and they do partly because they think they can. I loved watching Sale go off in the bullpen.
    Cora better hope kimmi & notin don’t read this....
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    The will to win is an interesting notion, even an attractive one if you are a Sox fan.

If you're a Dodgers fan, however, managerial ineptitude transcends all else. And in the bottom of the 6th the Sox fans were just as sure they had the idiot at the helm--dummy Cora whose chief claim to fame, according to a few, was that he was a lucky manager.

I find it fascinating that last night ERod threw 93 pitches and Hill threw 91 pitches and one fan base is furious ERod was left in and the other fan base even more furious Hill was removed. And perhaps both are right.

Me, I think I can make a case that both managers were equally right/wrong. In Dave Roberts case his starter Hill had told him to keep a careful watch because he could run out of gas. At that point in the game the Dodgers had a 4-0 lead and the comfort of knowing that whoever they sent to the mound in the previous 24 innings was certain to be effective because in those 24 innings the Sox drove in exactly 1 run, a dinger by JBJ. As for Cora, he had a lineup that in the playoffs had been deemed relentless but in the previous 24 innings was moribund and now, thanks to a bad throw by Vazquez, were down 1-0 with the redoubtable Hill and his astounding curve on the mound. Why not let ERod get that last out and save the bullpen a tad because this game could well go extra innings.

I personally thought the game was over in the 6th before the Puig dinger and because the lineup was dead, dead, dead. Wrong. This is baseball, and anything can happen. Lightning struck the Dodgers lineup when Puig got that dinger, and the same exact thing happened 1/2 inning later when Moreland, pinch-hitting, did the same thing for the Sox. Land o' goshen!

Think about that. Two teams go almost 24 innings scoring a total of 6 runs, only 4 of them earned, and in the space of two half innings--the bottom of the 6th and the top of the 7th--they score 7 runs. And in the subsequent 2 innings they score 8 more runs. In that total of 3 1/3 innings they scored 15 runs including 4 dingers!!!! And let's not forget that Kimbrel, no longer having to worry about tipping his pitches, showed once again why the Sox will be nuts to renew his contract and why Cora had Price warming up in the bullpen with a 5 run lead that was suddenly a 3 run lead with no one out in the bottom of the 9th.

So maybe it is was/is a will to win, but I would argue it is impossible for both teams in the World Series and after having to win both division series and league championship series not to have a very strong will to win.

What we saw last night was baseball. Amazing baseball.
    I did not read your entire post yet Max due to tiredness but I will soon. This is a different Red Sox team. All of the things that some feel transcend the realm of statistical proof are evident with this version of the Red Sox. Focus, mental toughness, clutch performances, etc. etc. etc. ! They are good but they also believe in each other and expect to win something they have learned to do over the last few years. Down 4-0 but looking in that dugout - no negative reaction. Take another look at that Dodgers dugout when the Sox tied it up - Game over!!!
    I did read some of what you wrote - Of course the Dodgers have had a will to win they have run into a team whose will to win overwhelms them. The Red Sox are that good and the Dodgers aren't.

Much of this series has been over coached by both teams. Last night was a clear example once again - Dodgers had a warrior on the mound in Hill. He knew what he was doing and how to do it. Roberts should simply have said screw the odds and stick with the winner. To Cora's credit, he didn't get over the top involved. Just enough. This is my favorite Sox team - no bullshit, just play,celebrate when you should be celebrating.

The problem for Roberts was that hill tagged himself out of that game.
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    I have seen this posted a good deal and in fact, we don't really know that. We don't know how Hill and Roberts communicate with each other. We don't know one single thing about the professional relationship between them. Just because the way they communicate with each other might not conform to what we have grown used to "seeing" but not experiencing between manager and pitcher does not mean that Hill tagged himself out.

Frankly, I am more surprised that Roberts said anything about it to the media. I grow less impressed with him by the minute.

Deity
    Cora better hope kimmi & notin don’t read this....
    Slasher - what the hell - i can't sneak one gd thing by you!!!

For the record though, I realize the role that analytics play in today's game and I understand there is a place for them all. I do think that they are over done, and somewhat over used, but we aren't going backwards and that is ok. The product on the field is a better product I think than we have seen. I think that we are very fortunate to have a manager that understands baseball players and what makes them tick. Combination old school new school if you will. For my money though, this game never has been and never will be solely about talent. They have brought together a team filled with professionals who I think approach the game the right way.

Deity

you sure?

Deity
    and while we are on the topic of last night's game, at the risk of getting bitched at again, as well as E-Rod pitched last night, his not being able to get his fat ass to second base on that infield roller was ridiculous. I don't give a shit if he has been injured or was afraid of getting hurt, it is the 5th game of the world series - make the effort. It stood out and was very much out of character for a team that lays it all there on just about every play. Get in shape .

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I did not read your entire post yet Max due to tiredness but I will soon. This is a different Red Sox team. All of the things that some feel transcend the realm of statistical proof are evident with this version of the Red Sox. Focus, mental toughness, clutch performances, etc. etc. etc. ! They are good but they also believe in each other and expect to win something they have learned to do over the last few years. Down 4-0 but looking in that dugout - no negative reaction. Take another look at that Dodgers dugout when the Sox tied it up - Game over!!!
    The reaction of Puig to Moreland's home run said a lot too. Not only did he not move from his position, he put his hands on his head as if he couldn't believe what Madson had done, or he couldn't believe what Roberts had done bringing Madson in.

Not a great signal to your team, especially when you're still leading the game.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The reaction of Puig to Moreland's home run said a lot too. Not only did he not move from his position, he put his hands on his head as if he couldn't believe what Madson had done, or he couldn't believe what Roberts had done bringing Madson in.

Not a great signal to your team, especially when you're still leading the game.
    I saw the same thing and read it the same way. You could see it and you could feel momentum (there I go again) swinging the other way. I think that we have reached a point with L.A. where they expect the Sox to rip them up after they get the first two outs. Obviously anything can happen, but the Red Sox know they can win and I don't think that the Dodgers truly believe that they can.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Cora made a few mistakes tonight. ERod has a lot of trouble getting through 6 innings. Even when he has cruised through 5 2/3 innings this season, things have almost always fallen apart for him and prevented him from completing the 6th. Tonight was not the time to try to get ERod through 6. The team bailed him out of that very bad move, when Roberts decided to hand the ball to Madson and Maeda -- two bags of trash.
    I'm rarely critical of Cora: the guy is the best we've ever had, but I thought he should have been pulled before Turner.

I also wondered why he pulled Porcello so early but let ERod go so long.

That being said, most of what Cora did yesterday worked.

What a ballsy team we have here!