Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 139 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: 10/26 World Series game 3

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    This is a tough assignment for Porcello.

Hitters are so focused and there is so much adrenaline pumping through their systems during a championship contest that they see pitches just that much better. Rick's pitches will tend to look like they are coming to the plate in slow motion. If you are a Rick Porcello, your location has to go from regular season very good to post season perfect. Anything that catches too much plate stands a very good chance of being turned into a ........PORCELLO. The hitters will see it and they won't miss it. Hitters will tend to recognize the pitch early enough to stay back on the secondaries or a poorly located FB and Kablaam.

Hill is similar when he gets his start but he has more break on his secondaries. So he has that going for him. Porcello is a tremendously gutty pitcher IMO. He is sort of the Pitching version of our offense. We complain about both too often and too soon when they are not performing in short stretches to our expectations. But they just keep soldering on pretty much oblivious to everything but the task at hand.
    Pretty good analysis, Jung. Entirely agree pinpoint accuracy--or close to it--is key for Porcello. Thus I won't mind a walk or two as awful as that sounds. I also won't mind a few extra pitches per inning.

Deity
    About 14 years ago when the Yankees were up 3-0 in the ALCS, Francona told his guys and the press, "we only need to win this game." Worked like a charm, and the Sox took that game and 7 more in a row and broke the 86 year curse.

I sure hope Cora is saying something like that. Guys, focus on winning this game, period. You can bet Dave Roberts is.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dannycater View Post
    I'm having fun nevertheless
    Exactly right. Of course, I just get nervous as heck anyway.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Pearce is having a career year vs righties. He has a much longer history of struggling against them. I have no issues with Pearce hitting vs righties at this moment in time. The guy has been great for us, no matter what we ask him to do.

It's no secret I'm not a huge Moreland fan, but we got the guy to hit vs RHPs and play great 1B defense. I'm noit going to criticize Cora for doing what has worked all year. besides, Moreland has gotten on base 6 times in 13 PAs during the playoffs.

I know it's a small sample size, and Pearce's number look great, too, but I think Cora knows what he's doing here.

I think its a mistake, but lets see how the game goes. For now, I don't like it. I won't like it even more if Moreland goes 0-for whatever and strands runners on base. He is clearly not the better hitter compared to Pearce, and without Benni in the lineup we are already missing a key offensive cog. I would love to be proven wrong.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Given Cora's track record so far, I fully expect Moreland to hit four grand slams and pitch an inning or two of scoreless relief, before announcing his cure for cancer at a postgame press conference.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Benintendi not in the lineup? WTF?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedballgame View Post
    Benintendi not in the lineup? WTF?
    I don't think Cora wants JD in RF tonight and he did not want to move Mookie to CF. This way, they just make one change instead of two. JD to LF for Beni.

Deity
    Does anybody out there really think that Cora isn't super focused on winning this game tonight? He has his reasons for playing who where but it kind of seems to me as though in each of these playoff games he is willing to do anything to win now - worry about tomorrow when it arrives. Think we would all be well served just to have faith in whoever he puts out there right now. His track record has been pretty good.

looking forward to a W tonight but I don't think it will be easy. While the weather will be welcomed by both teams, the Dodgers might like it a tad better. And of course, it is their return to home and it is crucial for them to win. If they don't, it is all but over. But, you never know how the ball will bounce.
    So my daughter and I flew out to Boston Wednesday morning for game two. First playoff game for us. Headed over to the Boston chowder company for bread bowl clam chowder. Damn, that stuff is good. While I have been to many games in Boston, this was so different. Entering through the Jersey street turnstiles in the dark was something new. Just an electric atmosphere. Obviously the game was great with enough drama but not too much. Great seat mates. Just finished watching a replay of the game. I have to say I remember just about every at bat for both teams. I guess we were really paying attention! We headed back to Logan at 1:00a and hung out until our 6:40a flight back to O'Hare. There were a few other folks in terminal three doing the same thing. There were just no hotel rooms to be had for less than $1,500 so we passed on that luxury.

Great memories for us and especially for my daughter after I am long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Interesting that Cora is stacking three LH hitters 5 though 7 in the order.
    I disagree with sitting Benny. JBJ was great in the ALCS. He hasn’t been that great at the plate so far in the WS. Benny has been hitting the ball really well in the WS, and he’s a great outfielder. Actually I’m shocked Benny is sitting.

So I'll be watching this game tonight, but I can't stay up to see the whole thing. I have to mentally prepare myself to work the UConn football game in tomorrow's nor'easter. I'm actually looking forward to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    I think its a mistake, but lets see how the game goes. For now, I don't like it. I won't like it even more if Moreland goes 0-for whatever and strands runners on base. He is clearly not the better hitter compared to Pearce, and without Benni in the lineup we are already missing a key offensive cog. I would love to be proven wrong.
    Sometimes the numbers are wrong and Benny should be in there. What’s the difference between playing left field opposed to playing right field? Not much. Maybe the angles, but you would think it’s the same just in reverse. JBJ hasn’t been hitting so far and neither has Moreland. I know Cora has made all the right moves so far, but I don’t agree with this at all. I hope I’m wrong!

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    Given Cora's track record so far, I fully expect Moreland to hit four grand slams and pitch an inning or two of scoreless relief, before announcing his cure for cancer at a postgame press conference.
    Well it had to slow down, not every call was gonna come off...
    Last edited by Hitch; 10-26-2018 at 05:43 PM.

I agree it’s worked out for Cora and his moves, but it’s the players that have gotten the hits and pitches that’s made him look like a genius. I think Benny should be in the lineup instead of JBJ. Benny is just a better hitter period. My thought is you want your most potent lineup out there. Especially against a guy like Buehler. If we can win tonight our chances of winning the series is huge as comparison to losing tonight. We shall see go Sox!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason33: View Post
    I agree it’s worked out for Cora and his moves, but it’s the players that have gotten the hits and pitches that’s made him look like a genius. I think Benny should be in the lineup instead of JBJ. Benny is just a better hitter period. My thought is you want your most potent lineup out there. Especially against a guy like Buehler. If we can win tonight our chances of winning the series is huge as comparison to losing tonight. We shall see go Sox!
    Doesn't make a difference what our lineup is, because Porcello is going 9 shutout innings tonight. And Porcello is going to have our one run of the night in a 1-0 win. Book it!

I have been wrong before though...