Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Pitching changes – what to do?

Pitching changes – what to do?

I've been thinking about pitching changes. Frankly, there are too many of them. It may be good strategy to change pitchers so often, but it's not good entertainment, and that's what baseball is in the end. Having numerous commercial breaks in the tense late innings ruins the flow of the game and could reasonably be imagined to annoy people who might otherwise be fans. And baseball needs fans.

So, while I know that MLB will never make any major rule changes regarding the way pitchers are used, I thought it'd be fun to spitball an idea intended to improve the game. That's what a baseball talk site is for, right?

The strong form of the proposed change: No voluntary mid-inning pitching changes. None. The only exception would be for injury, and in that case the removed pitcher would be required to go on the DL.

The medium-strength version: Managers get one mid-inning pitching change per game. They have to choose wisely when to use it.

The weak version: Mid-inning pitching changes get no warm-up pitches, no commercial break, no major interruption to the flow of the game. When the manager takes the ball from his pitcher's hand, the reliever has (say) 75 seconds to get on the mound and throw a pitch.

Again, I know that MLB is realistically not going to make any major changes to its rules here. But do you think these would be improvements? Deteriorations? Do you have other propositions?

I'm not sure any such changes would be fair.

All I can say is that maybe we should count our blessings that: a) teams are generally confined to 7 relief pitchers because of roster rules; b) baseball is the only game where when you remove a player from the game they are gone forevermore.

I think Kevin Cash in a game this year, instead of removing one of his relievers, moved them to the field in case they were needed again. I've thought of that little move before myself. It could be quite entertaining if the ball 'finds the guy who just came in' as the old adage goes.

Hi Bellhorn. In what way do you see limiting pitching changes as being unfair? I'd like to hear you unpack that a bit.

I have always liked the idea of stashing a pitcher in RF (or wherever) for one or two batters. I find that elegant somehow. The idea of pitchers learning to play a little bit of outfield isn't all bad either!
    Last edited by Beaneater; 10-12-2018 at 08:01 AM.

Deity
    Rule 8.03 allows a relief pitcher a maximum of 8 warm up pitches. This is typically enforced.

Rule 5.07c says a pitcher has 12 seconds to throw a pitch from the time he receives the ball and the batter is in the box. If MLB enforced this rule, it would help give them the pace of play they want....

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

All I can say is that maybe we should count our blessings that: a) teams are generally confined to 7 relief pitchers because of roster rules; b) baseball is the only game where when you remove a player from the game they are gone forevermore.

I think Kevin Cash in a game this year, instead of removing one of his relievers, moved them to the field in case they were needed again. I've thought of that little move before myself. It could be quite entertaining if the ball 'finds the guy who just came in' as the old adage goes.
    It eliminates your DH from the game. Girardi tried that a few years ago with disastrous results
    Hal sucks

Deity

Joe Maddon used Travis Wood in left field once in a game in 2016 in order to let Pedro Strop pitch to one hitter. And of course, that hitter flied out to left field.

The MLB rule book allows managers to move a pitcher to a new position once per inning, but makes no mention of what happens to a DH. The Cubs were not in a game that used the DH, so no help there...

Quote Originally Posted by Beaneater View Post
    Hi Bellhorn. In what way do you see limiting pitching changes as being unfair? I'd like to hear you unpack that a bit.
    Maybe unfair is not the right word.

I think there are limitations already in place, the ones I mentioned in my other comments. So managers already have to be a bit careful how many changes they make.

It's annoying as heck watching the manager march out there time after time, no question. But it's part of how the game is played now. I don't think we should be making any intrinsic changes to the rules here. There are other 'bigger fish to fry', perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Rule 5.07c says a pitcher has 12 seconds to throw a pitch from the time he receives the ball and the batter is in the box. If MLB enforced this rule, it would help give them the pace of play they want....
    Couldn't agree more, notin.

EDIT: And while we're at it, wasn't there going to be some sort of emphasis on getting and keeping batters in the box this year? All this hoo-hah of calling time, stepping out, adjusting the gloves, ordering a pizza, stepping back in, receiving the pizza, etc. – it gets pretty old.
    Last edited by Beaneater; 10-12-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    It eliminates your DH from the game. Girardi tried that a few years ago with disastrous results
    Good point. There might still be some really specific game situations where an AL manager would crunch the numbers and decide that it's still better to chuck the pitcher into (say) RF for one batter. But he'd have to be a real iconoclast to try it, especially if, as you say, Girardi has already done it and had it blow up in his face.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaneater View Post
    Couldn't agree more, notin.

EDIT: And while we're at it, wasn't there going to be some sort of emphasis on getting and keeping batters in the box this year? All this hoo-hah of calling time, stepping out, adjusting the gloves, ordering a pizza, stepping back in, receiving the pizza, etc. – it gets pretty old.
    Mike Hargrove is turning over in his grave at the mere thought. Which is made even more significant by the fact that he is't even dead yet.

In retrospect, that might explain a lot of that movement in the grave...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Mike Hargrove is turning over in his grave at the mere thought. Which is made even more significant by the fact that he is't even dead yet.

In retrospect, that might explain a lot of that movement in the grave...
    The Human Rain Delay!

Deity
    The Human Rain Delay!
    I think baseball did a good enough job speeding up pace of play by watching him retire...

If your looking to speed up the game and keep flow going there is one simple change....Robot Umps Now!
    other names i have posted under: none