Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 4/29 vs TB

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Time to alert the media. The 2018 Sox have completely thrown caution to the winds and allowed a very solid hitter but not so good outfielder to play left field. Wasn't it Jimmy Piersall who once said he should get twice the salary because he had to cover LF as well as CF?

Yesterday's lineup worked because Betts was out and Cora wanted Moreland as the fill-in bat. You wanted Swihart in LF?

Devers plays 3b for the same reason JD goes to LF now and then--optimizing the offense while taking a risk on defense.
    I'd just as soon have Swihart, JMart, Nunez or Lin (Holt when he's back) in LF than Castillo right now.

It's not like Rusney is doing anything special to earn a shot this year.

I'd like to see Swihart get a longer look than one game every 10 games. Let's find out what we have before trading or DFA'ing to bring up an equally unknown player that will kill our luxury tax this year and going forward. Say good bye to Kimbrel AND Pom, if we call up Castillo.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'd just as soon have Swihart, JMart, Nunez or Lin (Holt when he's back) in LF than Castillo right now.

It's not like Rusney is doing anything special to earn a shot this year.

I'd like to see Swihart get a longer look than one game every 10 games. Let's find out what we have before trading or DFA'ing to bring up an equally unknown player that will kill our luxury tax this year and going forward. Say good bye to Kimbrel AND Pom, if we call up Castillo.
    Last guy I want is Castillo. I'm just saying JD is OK in LF now and then. He wasn't all that bad in RF about a week ago when he made a good grab in deep right center.

Are you seriously unaware that his OPS as a left fielder is .377 higher than his OPS as a DH? And in this particular case Betts was out, so Beni went to CF and JBJ to RF.

Are you also unaware that Devers has 5 errors compared to the entire rest of the team which as 3?
    I think I said originally that I understood that we were short on options with Mookie out so I understand why it happened. What I was implying was that I hope I don't see it again.

Are you suggesting that we keep JDM in LF and move Beni to CF because JDM's OPS is better than JBJ's? And do what with JBJ? Keep him on the bench? Because I've seen some bad ideas here and that will go down among them.

But that still didn't respond to my question of "how would you have felt if his misjudgement of that ball contributed to a run scoring and the Sox lost by one run? Would you still not give a shit?"
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Last guy I want is Castillo. I'm just saying JD is OK in LF now and then. He wasn't all that bad in RF about a week ago when he made a good grab in deep right center.
    JD should only play in the field against NL teams, and then only to keep his bat in the order. Every fly ball is an adventure with him out there.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I think I said originally that I understood that we were short on options with Mookie out so I understand why it happened. What I was implying was that I hope I don't see it again.

Are you suggesting that we keep JDM in LF and move Beni to CF because JDM's OPS is better than JBJ's? And do what with JBJ? Keep him on the bench? Because I've seen some bad ideas here and that will go down among them.

But that still didn't respond to my question of "how would you have felt if his misjudgement of that ball contributed to a run scoring and the Sox lost by one run? Would you still not give a shit?"
    I would have been disappointed, but not heart broken. We've seen fly balls misjudged out there before. My goodness, we've already learned to live with the errors by Devers because we like his bat.

As for JBJ, who knows? He was the heir apparent in 2014 with Ellsbury gone and promptly demonstrated that you can actually be so bad at the plate it doesn't matter how good you are in CF. Since 2016, his OPS has dropped steadily.

I would have been disappointed, but not heart broken. We've seen fly balls misjudged out there before. My goodness, we've already learned to live with the errors by Devers because we like his bat.

As for JBJ, who knows? He was the heir apparent in 2014 with Ellsbury gone and promptly demonstrated that you can actually be so bad at the plate it doesn't matter how good you are in CF. Since 2016, his OPS has dropped steadily.
    The difference is, we can keep JD's bat in the line-up as a DH. It's not JD vs JBJ in the line-up, it's actually Moreland vs JBJ's bat and JD vs JBJ's glove. In that light, the choice is obvious, to me.

If we try to keep Devers in the line-up but not play 3B, then this is the choice:

Devers vs JBJ's bat
    and
    JD vs JBJ on defense and Nunez/Lin/Holt on defense at 3B vs Devers.

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    JD should only play in the field against NL teams, and then only to keep his bat in the order. Every fly ball is an adventure with him out there.
    Agree 100%. I'm okay with an occasional game in an AL park, if someone really needs a rest, but that should be avoided, if possible by scheduling OF days off in NL parks. Luckily, our NL park dates are pretty well scattered evenly.