Register now to remove this ad

Page 73 of 75 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1111

Thread: Red Sox To Sign J.D. Martinez

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I was watching the Yankees play Baltimore recently and Camden Yards was empty. The weather was good and the Yankees are heading to the playoffs. Even in the Orioles' worst seasons, Camden would be full when a competitive Yankee or Red Sox team was in town. I used to make at least 1 trip there each season. The awful traffic had been the only negative, but after the horrific riots that spilled near the inner harbor trapping fans in the stadium, I would never go there again. I think many other Red Sox and Yankees fans feel the same way.
    The inner harbor is somehow a great place and a colossal armpit all at once...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It's like Curt Schilling. I don't agree with anything he has to say politically, but I will absolutely defend his rights to have those views.

I'm not even sure why this quote from Martinez is supposed to be offensive. Because he quoted Hitler? He didn't do it in a way that supported Hitler, but rather he posited Hitler as the opposing point of view (i.e. taking away guns.) Have we reached a point in our society that we can't even mention history's greatest villains as opposing viewpoints?

Also, I would not like JD if he killed a700's dogs and cats, unless a700 himself was using JD to perform so in a medical capacity. No video required. And I also would not like JDM if he opted out in two years and signed with the Yankees. But that goes without saying. I wouldn't like Mother Theresa if she was wearing pinstripes...
    The reason for requiring a video would be because i would doubt any other evidence. I would have to see it with my own eyes. As for Mother Theresa being in pinstripes, I agree that would make me sour on her too. It is just this troll culture -- people with useless lives that add nothing to society who are bent on destroying everything and everyone that is successful and popular. I believe almost none of what I read or hear and about 25% of what I see -- except for watching baseball. Everything else is destructive noise.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    So...what, are we supposed to be outraged by this or something?

I feel like we're quickly reaching the bottom of the barrel in the quest to unearth "offensive" tweets from years ago.
    No need to be outraged ... just another side of (a younger) J.D. Martinez:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/c...t_f_in_history

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    No need to be outraged ... just another side of (a younger) J.D. Martinez:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/c...t_f_in_history
    Another side to (a younger) J.D. Martinez would be if he was a top pitching or SS prospect, not this garbage.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend
    Another side to (a younger) J.D. Martinez would be if he was a top pitching or SS prospect, not this garbage.
    No garbage.

Some fans want to see a baseball player as something more than a one-dimensional human being on this earth solely for our sporting entertainment.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=6395744

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    No garbage.

Some fans want to see a baseball player as something more than a one-dimensional human being on this earth solely for our sporting entertainment.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=6395744
    This doesn't do it.

This just in, baseball players are dumbasses.

Color me shocked and surprised. Taken aback even! Confounded!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Legend
    This doesn't do it.
    I respect individual tastes.

If you would have known that JDM would be hitting .336/1.063 with 39 HR's and 114 rbi, I think most would have been very satisfied with the signing. If you then learned it was only August 31 with those numbers, you would wonder why this guy was given an out option in his deal after 2019. Incredible performance an a prime reason the Sox are 51 games over .500. Come out with guns blazing, JD.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    If you would have known that JDM would be hitting .336/1.063 with 39 HR's and 114 rbi, I think most would have been very satisfied with the signing. If you then learned it was only August 31 with those numbers, you would wonder why this guy was given an out option in his deal after 2019. Incredible performance an a prime reason the Sox are 51 games over .500. Come out with guns blazing, JD.
    He was given an out option BECAUSE JD WANTED IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    I don't think any of us imagined he would be as good as he is. It will be interesting to see what kind of new contract JD will get if he continues to perform at this level through next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I don't think any of us imagined he would be as good as he is. It will be interesting to see what kind of new contract JD will get if he continues to perform at this level through next year.
    Te stats were there indicating that he could be this good. The only question is remaining healthy.

Legend
    I think this is definitely a right tailed outcome for him - though there was no doubt he would be a 30 HR sort of guy for the early part of the contract. The question with his contract was health and the aging curve for guys like him (see Pujols, who is actually a better athlete) - if bat speed goes, there is not much of a ballplayer there. That said, the early part of the contract looked promising - and both sides should end up really happy with that.

I kinda did. My only question was if he’d stay healthy or not.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    I kinda did. My only question was if he’d stay healthy or not.
    There really wasn't any doubt about it in my mind. I agree with you about the staying healthy part. He has been one of the very best hitters in the game for a while now when healthy. No one should have been in actual doubt as to what he would likely do. It is of course great to see the numbers that he has put up. Although I would have been satisfied with less, I'm not surprised by them at all.