Register now to remove this ad

Page 51 of 75 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox To Sign J.D. Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    SSS alert. His career LF numbers are better than his career RF numbers.
    Yes, but Fenway's left and right fields play a lot different than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I just think he needs more time to play in LF and RF before we deem him "better" in RF than LF. His tool set seems a better fit for LF. Heck, I remember Manny wanted to play RF when he was signed. Glad they kept him in LF. JD? Remains to be seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

That may be the understatement of the day.

I fail to see how any reliable set of metrics can be built to compare LF'ers to RF'ers in Fenway due to the shape of the outfield.

IF Mookie or JBJ were installed in LF wouldn't their Range Factor go down? They wouldn't have the ground to cover to let the trained observers know which balls hit off the wall they would get to. Without that data all that could be said is that they can go back as far as the wall, and maybe more but we don't know how much.
    That brings me back around to JDM and why is he in RF??? Does he really cover more ground in the OF than Benintendi? Is his arm really better than Beni's?
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

I just think he needs more time to play in LF and RF before we deem him "better" in RF than LF. His tool set seems a better fit for LF. Heck, I remember Manny wanted to play RF when he was signed. Glad they kept him in LF. JD? Remains to be seen.
    I don't disagree with that. I would expect him to be a better LFer than RFer as well.

The other piece of this puzzle is Beni playing in LF versus CF.

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    That may be the understatement of the day.

I fail to see how any reliable set of metrics can be built to compare LF'ers to RF'ers in Fenway due to the shape of the outfield.

IF Mookie or JBJ were installed in LF wouldn't their Range Factor go down? They wouldn't have the ground to cover to let the trained observers know which balls hit off the wall they would get to. Without that data all that could be said is that they can go back as far as the wall, and maybe more but we don't know how much.
    That brings me back around to JDM and why is he in RF??? Does he really cover more ground in the OF than Benintendi? Is his arm really better than Beni's?
    The metrics now take the oddities of certain outfields into consideration. Once upon a time, they didn't, but there are now adjustments made for things like the Green Monster.

Deity
    And the highly rated and appreciated metric folks would be right.

But much to your dismay, putting JD in RF has nothing to do with him actually be a good defensive right fielder. It has to do with JD being slightly less bad in RF than he is in LF, and with Beni being way better in LF than he is in CF.
    I'm not dismayed by that at all. You get to feel any way you like. You can continue to explain to me why JD is so bad out there. I just haven't seen it yet.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I thought your post was snarky and inaccurate which is why I pointed out the inaccuracy. I let you slide for the snark. And there is nowhere in that post where he says that JD is a good RFer. That's why I left out the language. Not to cherry pick. it was extraneous to his point which was that the analytics showed the OF alignment with JD in RF was the best.
    thanks for that.

Deity
    That's every post around here.
    You mean really - I'm not the only snarky sob around here?

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    thanks for that.
    LOL!! When I turn on the snark, I make an extra special effort to be right. So many people are snarky when they are wrong. It's a terrible look.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Beni is fucking terrible in CF. That’s why JD is in RF when Cora decides its JBj’s turn for a vacation day....
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    I don’t like Benintendi in CF either...

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I'm not dismayed by that at all. You get to feel any way you like. You can continue to explain to me why JD is so bad out there. I just haven't seen it yet.
    But she knows way more about the game we love so you should just let her flaunt her stuff and never presume to challenge her expertise.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

LOL!! When I turn on the snark, I make an extra special effort to be right. So many people are snarky when they are wrong. It's a terrible look.
    I am so glad we never see this type of person post on Talksox!!!11!1

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Beni is fucking terrible in CF. That’s why JD is in RF when Cora decides its JBj’s turn for a vacation day....
    How is he terrible in center field?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I don’t like Benintendi in CF either...
    I prefer him in left. Especially since he has shown improvement out there this year.

Pretty sure some knob will post extraneous data that they believe shows that Bennie has shown no improvement in left.

Have at it nerds.