Register now to remove this ad

Page 33 of 75 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox To Sign J.D. Martinez

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    The game of baseball is a beautiful game filled with all kinds of strategy that the average player could give two big shits about. The brainiacs as you like to call them seem to be out in force trying paint lipstick on the pig here. Best of luck to any manager who tries to convince these guys that what fangraphs has to say about them daily has any significance what so ever! Gets a big fucking lol from me Spud but remember I am one of the old fools.
    Actually plenty of players have embraced the advanced metrics to improve their game. Josh Reddick, for example,gave a lengthy interview on the subject. Gabe Kapler did one also where he was shocked at the amont if data he was asked to go over for a minor league manager position. Again, minor league.

Really it seems like the only reason players avoid fangraphs stats is to embrace the even more modern Stat Cast, which is more about physics and attempts to teach players to optimize their launch angle and exit velocity. Teams even have bats with sensors in them that help players optimize their swings...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Actually plenty of players have embraced the advanced metrics to improve their game. Josh Reddick, for example,gave a lengthy interview on the subject. Gabe Kapler did one also where he was shocked at the amont if data he was asked to go over for a minor league manager position. Again, minor league.

Really it seems like the only reason players avoid fangraphs stats is to embrace the even more modern Stat Cast, which is more about physics and attempts to teach players to optimize their launch angle and exit velocity. Teams even have bats with sensors in them that help players optimize their swings...
    OH I'm sure that you are right. It's a brave new world. My guess and that is all it is, is that someone else (manager) is passing the information on to the players. Until it can be proven to me that a majority of the people actually playing the game are studying up hard on all things statistical, I'm going to continue to believe that a clear majority of them still embrace the KISS principle. My opinion is that there are people out there doing all of the data collection who truly want to play a large helpful role with respect to an age old game. I also believe that information overload can be a bad thing as well.

Whatever happened to the mystery team that wanted to sign JD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

The negotiations were between the sox, the sox and the sox. Boras couldn’t get the sox to bid against themselves

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Ask harmony. And while you're at it, remind him that he lost his bet. He took the field against the Red Sox.

OH I'm sure that you are right. It's a brave new world. My guess and that is all it is, is that someone else (manager) is passing the information on to the players. Until it can be proven to me that a majority of the people actually playing the game are studying up hard on all things statistical, I'm going to continue to believe that a clear majority of them still embrace the KISS principle. My opinion is that there are people out there doing all of the data collection who truly want to play a large helpful role with respect to an age old game. I also believe that information overload can be a bad thing as well.
    A lot of them wear the same socks during a hitting streak too.
    Do you buy into that also, because the players do?

There are a lot of smart players out there, but they're not the majority.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The negotiations were between the sox, the sox and the sox. Boras couldn’t get the sox to bid against themselves
    All things considered we were a bit lucky there were no other bidders. At the start of the offseason I figured JD would probably get the 6/150 that MLBTR predicted.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    That was nice to see, for a change.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    A lot of them wear the same socks during a hitting streak too.
    Do you buy into that also, because the players do?

There are a lot of smart players out there, but they're not the majority.
    There is no other sport as conducive to superstition as baseball. It's a beautiful game; it's also a weird and freaky game, and that's part of its appeal.

No one has even come close to saying that people should not consider any metric that might help them make an educated decision. I certainly would but ultimately my mind would not be made up until I saw him play. It seems to me that people who have great great faith in metrics do not even think for one minute that there is any other way to even help evaluate talent. I think that that is very sad. With respect to your view on pitchers - 6 to 6.5 really - 4 to 4.5 absolutely I would have to see him throw before I made up my mind.
    This is interesting: you take exception to suggestion that metrics are the only way to evaluate a player (even though that's not what Kimmi said), but then throw in the "people who have great great faith in metrics do not even think for one minute that there is any other way to even help evaluate talent.".

I'm pretty sure no one has ever said that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    There is no other sport as conducive to superstition as baseball. It's a beautiful game; it's also a weird and freaky game, and that's part of its appeal.
    Yup, it's one of the reasons why I watch.
    But, I don't think I'd want any of them teaching a physics course.

All-Star
    Players who don't pay attention to or place any value on advanced numbers (and I'd hazard a guess that there are a lot more who do than there were 10 or 20 years ago) might want to consider starting, because the teams who pay them certainly do. We're just coming out of an offseason defined by a massive disconnect between what players think they are worth and what teams are actually willing to pay, and if I was a player, I'd want to know why that was and what I could do to keep it from happening to me next time...

All-Star
    The insinuation here is that I might not give any thought to defensive metrics and that is not right. The but is here that I would not make a definitive call until I actually saw him play. I certainly have not suggested ever that we break up our current outfield to play JD. I don't remember ever saying that you can know nothing about a player's potential to play a position until you have seen him play. I'm a little defensive here - I get that- but once again someone is trying to shape what I have written into what they want to hear. Oh well.
    I will just add that I just read an article in which Martinez actually said that one of the reasons he came to Boston was that he was going to get the chance to play in the outfield on occasion. And also this for the people who feel that it is predominantly about the analytics - Cora has recently said that JD may in fact hit third. No commitment being made at this time. If Martinez is one of our best hitters, why in the devil would Alex Cora say that he might occupy the 3 hole where according to some that is the spot saved for you 5th best hitter. He certainly has been schooled in all things analytical, I just don't get it.
    Well, I'll just say I apologize if I mischaracterized what you were trying to say, and leave it at that.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    They have probably moved on to bidding for Arrieta and Moustakas.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    This is interesting: you take exception to suggestion that metrics are the only way to evaluate a player (even though that's not what Kimmi said), but then throw in the "people who have great great faith in metrics do not even think for one minute that there is any other way to even help evaluate talent.".

I'm pretty sure no one has ever said that either.
    No - Kimmi has not said that. She has said numerous times that she believes in the fact that there are some things that are just unmeasurable at work as well. I really wasn't trying to take a direct shot at anybody. Just defending my point of view which is a minority opinion here. Kim and I agree on many things relating to baseball.